Life With Lucy article

Ok, the BITCH thing is a sore spot with me and as her REAL Number one fan for over fifty years now . . . let me say what i always do . . .Hepburn and Davis behaved the exact same way as her, these no nonsense New England types, they`d been around and knew how to get to the top and then stay there. They were hard workers and had no tolerance for people who didn`t work hard. If Lucy is called a bitch by Crawford, there was a reason, Joan expected to coast on her BIG NAME and rep, but she was used to movies not to working in front of a live audience and she was loaded with booze, did not know her lines, Lucy expected her to be at her best and she was the boss on the set so she made it clear to her. Old queens like herbie kenwith have their stories, the maury thompsons have their ax to grind and they`re all remembering things that happened fifty years ago, they want to be interviewed and be quoted in books or articles that will sell because it`s about TV`s greatest performer. And like i said many times before, for every story of Lucy being tough there are ten of her being the nicest most considerate person on that set.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I think people get confused between the words "tough" and "bitchy". There is a difference. Lucy was tough, that's for sure, but good on her! But she was definitely not bitchy - someone who is bitchy would not go out of their way to know EVERYONE'S name who works with her, from the floor sweeper to the head of the studio! She always gave 100% of her effort and just expected the same in return.

Yeah, I think people get confused between the words "tough" and "bitchy". There is a difference. Lucy was tough, that's for sure, but good on her! But she was definitely not bitchy - someone who is bitchy would not go out of their way to know EVERYONE'S name who works with her, from the floor sweeper to the head of the studio! She always gave 100% of her effort and just expected the same in return.

Yeah, if anything, she was a mother hen or a Jewish mother so to speak, LOL! I always loved the story of the guy at the gate of her studio, she thought it was cold that night and he did not have a jacket so she goes back in and gets him one. A bitch wouldn't do things like that.

Hey fellas.. I am basing my opinion on what I've read and what I've heard... Like all of us, she had good and bad days.. if you focused on my bad days.. shoot.. I would be a total bitchy a**hole!! Also, my grandmother's friend was Miss Ball's masuer (masoost?? whichever you call a female massage giver) ...anyway.. my grandmother's friend's name was Blanche.. I don't know if Blanche rubbed Miss Ball down once or rubbed her down hundreds of times... All I know is Blance told my grandmother that Lucille Ball was a bitch. This probably was durring the early Gary years.. and if she was bitchy.. who could blame her! Anyway.. I love LUCY warts and all!

Wow, wonder what caused Blanche to say that. I think Lucy had that kind of tone in her voice and in her demeanor that was a bit standoffish at times. I don't think she meant to be a bitch to people, but maybe she was having a bad day and was just not as friendly. I'm the same way so I would know lol. I give the wrong impression to people sometimes too when I'm tired, bored, or not feeling well. They think I'm a rude beeyotch and I don't mean to be.

Sometimes, you press REPLY and nothing happens so if you're a hothead like MOI, you presse it again so violently that one time i had my post like 16 times.

Watch it! Or you'll end up with 111 lawn mowers.

I looked at a London newspaper once when "Lucy in London" was shown and "The Lucy Show" was being run then as a weekly show but it seems it was a season behind.

I don't remember who it was, but some LWL person said the show was popular enough in some foreign markets that they wanted more. If not England, where? Australia, maybe?

I know some of Stu's transfers were not exactly top-notch, but if it wasn't for him I wouldn't have seen a lot of rare Lucy stuff (until recently anyway). I know his 'on' personality might rub some people the wrong way, but he's very knowledgeable and a good interviewer. And you have to hand it to him for being industrious with his Shokus radio. He's doing his best to keep the memory of a lot of people alive. These supporting players and behind the scenes people might think nobody remembers or cares about them.

Watch it! Or you'll end up with 111 lawn mowers.

I looked at a London newspaper once when "Lucy in London" was shown and "The Lucy Show" was being run then as a weekly show but it seems it was a season behind.

I don't remember who it was, but some LWL person said the show was popular enough in some foreign markets that they wanted more. If not England, where? Australia, maybe?

I know some of Stu's transfers were not exactly top-notch, but if it wasn't for him I wouldn't have seen a lot of rare Lucy stuff (until recently anyway). I know his 'on' personality might rub some people the wrong way, but he's very knowledgeable and a good interviewer. And you have to hand it to him for being industrious with his Shokus radio. He's doing his best to keep the memory of a lot of people alive. These supporting players and behind the scenes people might think nobody remembers or cares about them.

Yeah, have seen HIM a few times and he always seems to know what he's talking about and seems to be ON TOP of things.

Wow, wonder what caused Blanche to say that. I think Lucy had that kind of tone in her voice and in her demeanor that was a bit standoffish at times. I don't think she meant to be a bitch to people, but maybe she was having a bad day and was just not as friendly. I'm the same way so I would know lol. I give the wrong impression to people sometimes too when I'm tired, bored, or not feeling well. They think I'm a rude beeyotch and I don't mean to be.

When you're running a marriage, two kids, a house and a career, maybe you don't always have the time to have your masseuse to tea and gab about how TRICKS are. So, although you might appear aloof, it's really just being good at time management.

Archived