Commemorations planned in Hollywood

It days "The Hollywood Museum" in Florida, but I assume this is actually happening at the museum in Hollywood, California...

Hollywood Museum and CBS Celebrate: “Lucille Ball at 100 & ‘I Love Lucy’ at 60”

Thursday, Aug 4 10:00a

at The Hollywood Museum, Hollywood, FL

Age Suitability: None Specified

Tags: There are no tags.

The Hollywood Museum, CBS

Home Entertainment, and Paramount Studios will celebrate the 100th anniversary

of “Lucy”, America’s favorite comedienne and the 60th anniversary of TV’s

greatest comedy series “I Love Lucy.”

"Lucille Ball at 100

& 'I Love Lucy' at 60," will be on display at The Hollywood Museum

from Aug. 4 to Dec. 31, Wednesday through Sunday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.,

showcasing memorabilia pooled from notable private collections to salute the

careers and romance of Hollywood’s most famous lovebirds.

"Lucille Ball at 100

& 'I Love Lucy' at 60" exhibit includes original costumes, scripts, and personal items

including, Lucille Ball's eyeglasses, cigarette lighter, lipstick, Desi Arnaz's

congo drum, personal letters, photos and autographs, all TV Guide issues with

Read more: http://events.miamiherald.com/hollywood-fl/events/show/198587026-hollywood-museum-and-cbs-celebrate-lucille-ball-at-100-i-love-lucy-at-60#ixzz1Rubfb2jY'>http://events.miamiherald.com/hollywood-fl/events/show/198587026-hollywood-museum-and-cbs-celebrate-lucille-ball-at-100-i-love-lucy-at-60#ixzz1Rubfb2jY

http://events.miamiherald.com/hollywood-fl/events/show/198587026-hollywood-museum-and-cbs-celebrate-lucille-ball-at-100-i-love-lucy-at-60

It days "The Hollywood Museum" in Florida, but I assume this is actually happening at the museum in Hollywood, California...

Does it really DAY that? Nice that they are acknowledging her so many ways like this.

In the ill.JPG of Hollywood, too! The museum's on the corner of Hollywood Boulevard & Cahuenga.Highland....just about a mile or two down the road from where some "magic" was made about 60 years ago! :D

In the ill.JPG of Hollywood, too! The museum's on the corner of Hollywood Boulevard & Cahuenga....just about a mile or two down the road from where some "magic" was made about 60 years ago! :D

Joe...the Hwd Museum (in the beautiful old Max Factor building) is on the corner of Hollywood and Highland...diagonally across from the Highland/Hollywood complex where the Oscars are filmed...nevertheless, you are spot on about the magic being made in the neighborhood!!

Here's a link to the museum:

http://www.thehollywoodmuseum.com/

Joe...the Hwd Museum (in the beautiful old Max Factor building) is on the corner of Hollywood and Highland...diagonally across from the Highland/Hollywood complex where the Oscars are filmed...nevertheless, you are spot on about the magic being made in the neighborhood!!

Here's a link to the museum:

http://www.thehollywoodmuseum.com/

Oddly, I DO know exactly where it is but misspoke because I was thinking about the two studios I was hinting at, that I have the daily pleasure of driving by to/from work every day, both studios (Desilu Cahuenga and General Service) where the ILL magic was made.

Forgive me!! marionstrong.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Aug. 4 - Nov. 30

THE HOLLYWOOD MUSEUM AND CBS CELEBRATE:

“Lucille Ball at 100 & ‘I Love Lucy’ at 60”

Special Exhibit Spotlights the “Queen of Comedy” and the Genius of Desi

Hollywood, CA July 11, 2011 -- A new exhibition at the Hollywood Museum celebrates two milestones in the life of America’s Queen of Comedy: Lucille Ball’s 100th birthday on Aug. 6 and the 60th anniversary of “I Love Lucy,” her classic TV collaboration with husband Desi Arnaz, which CBS first aired on Oct. 15, 1951.

“Lucille Ball at 100 & ‘I Love Lucy’ at 60,” presented in partnership with CBS , will be on display from Aug. 3 to Nov. 30, showcasing memorabilia saluting the careers and romance of Hollywood’s most famous lovebirds.

“The Hollywood Museum in the Historic Max Factor Building is the perfect venue for this exhibit because it's where Lucille Ball went for makeup and hair treatments from Mr. Factor,” says Museum President Donelle Dadigan. “It's where Lucy first became a redhead. She had the longest-running contract of all of Mr. Factor's celebrity clients and he frequently used her image in his PR and ad promotions. The Redheads Only Room has been carefully preserved in her memory today. The museum’s historic connection to Lucy is the reason the U.S. Postal Service chose to unveil its official Lucille Ball commemorative stamp here in 2001.”

The exhibit is presented in partnership with CBS DVD and Paramount Home Video, which just released a new DVD set “The Best of ‘I Love Lucy’” featuring 14 classic episodes that have been digitally restored. CBS describes the set, “Television's all-time queen of comedy is at her candy-wrapping, grape-stomping, Vitameatavegamin-pushing best in this timeless collection of I Love Lucy episodes. From Hollywood to Europe, from ballet to burlesque to the birth of Little Ricky... it’s all here in this hilarious 2-disc set.” The 14 episodes: “The Ballet,” “The Freezer,” “Lucy Does a TV Commercial” (Vitameatavegamin), “Job Switching” (The Chocolate Factory), “Lucy Is Enceinte” (Lucy reveals pregnancy), “Lucy Goes to the Hospital,” “L.A. at Last,” “Lucy Gets in Pictures,” “Harpo Marx,” “The Great Train Robbery,” “Bon Voyage,” “Paris at Last,” “Lucy Gets a Paris Gown,” “Lucy’s Italian Movie” (Grape Stomping).

The opening of the exhibition will be celebrated at a private party to be held on Aug. 4 with Lucie Arnaz in attendance. On Lucille Ball's 100th birthday, Aug. 6,, the museum will stage a Lucy look-alike contest plus a contest to declare the best birthday cake.

“Lucille Ball at 100 & ‘I Love Lucy’ at 60” Exhibit includes:

·“Redheads Only Room" where Max Factor worked on Lucy’s famous look, featuring their original signed contract.

·Awards, Certificates, Statuettes/Trophies, Plaques - including the special tribute to Lucy at the 33rd Annual Emmys (1981) and a congratulatory letter from President Ronald Reagan

·The famous first national TV Guide (April 3, 1953) featuring Desi, Jr. on the cover as the $50 million baby

·Items showcasing the genius of Desi – including original editing equipment which allowed for the technical advancement of TV production (3 cameras, live audience, on film)

·A huge photography collection spanning Lucy’s life including her childhood, modelling career, films, radio and TV with some never-before-seen candid personal shots

·Lucy's autographed leg cast from her 1972 ski accident at Snowmass, CO

·Personal annotated copies of Lucy’s scripts from TV shows and films

·Desi's original recordings + sheet music

·Montage of original photos from Lucy and Desi’s homes and apartments including Palm Springs, NYC and Beverly Hills

Costumes Include:

·Elizabethan gown worn by Lucy opposite guest Tallulah Bankhead (“The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour,” 1957).

·Artist smock worn by Lucy opposite guest Danny Thomas ("The Lucy Show," 1965)

·Flapper dance costume worn by Lucie Arnaz in duet with Lucy ("Here's Lucy," 1972)

·

·Bold hound’s-tooth wool pant suit worn by Lucy in her last film “Mame” (1974)

· Ivory and lavender beaded gown worn by Lucy in her first MGM film "Dubarry Was a Lady" (1943) opposite co-stars Red Skelton and Gene Kelly

·Iconic trench coat worn by Lucy and featured in ads for the classic film noir “Lured” (1947)

Lucy's Scripts Include:

·“I Love Lucy” – Season 6, Episode 6: “Off to Florida” (Nov. 12, 1956)

·“The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour” – Episode 2: “The Celebrity Next Door” (Dec. 3, 1957)

·“The Lucy Show” – Season 1, Episode 1: “Lucy Waits Up for Chris” (Oct. 1, 1962); Season 1, Episode 5: “Lucy Buys a Sheep” (Oct. 29, 1962)

·“Here's Lucy” – Season 2, Episode 10: “Lucy the Cement Worker” (Nov. 24, 1969); Season 3, Episode 1: “Lucy Meets the Burtons” (Sept. 14,1970); Season 5, Episode 16: “Lucy Goes on Her Last Blind Date” (Jan. 8, 1973)

·“Life with Lucy” – Season 1, Episode 1: “One Good Grandparent Deserves Another” (Sept. 20, 1986)

For more details, please go to http://yousend.it/mZTcDY

WHERE: The Hollywood Museum, 1660 N. Highland Avenue, Hollywood, CA 90028

WHEN: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Wednesday through Sunday

EXHIBIT INFO: Aug. 4, 2011 to Dec. 31, 2011

PRICE: $15 for adults; $12 for seniors and children under 12.

INFO: (323) 464-7776 www.thehollywoodmuseum.com

ABOUT LUCILLE BALL AND DESI ARNAZ:

Before her television success, Ball made more than 60 films, first as one of the gorgeous Goldwyn Girls, then as a RKO contract player and as a star in the MGM galaxy before becoming a Columbia Pictures headliner. She was also featured in several short-lived radio shows in the 1930s (working with long-time collaborator Gale Gordon for the first time) and returned to radio for CBS in 1948 with “My Favorite Husband.”

While at RKO, Ball starred in the 1940 film version of the stage hit “Too Many Girls.” Many of the Broadway cast came west including Desi Arnaz who had caused a sensation singing the title tune. The two were immediately smitten and were married on Nov. 30, 1940.

Arnaz (born March 2, 1917) and his wealthy family had fled Cuba in 1933 during the Batista revolution and relocated to Miami. Pursuing his love of music, he had popularized the Conga dance and even toured the country with his own band. Apart more often than not, Ball and Arnaz decided to work together when CBS moved her radio show to television.

They cofounded a company – Desilu Productions – and Arnaz proved to have a flair for producing, pioneering the concept of filming a TV show in front of an audience. The creator (Jess Oppenheimer) and writers (Madelyn Pugh, Bob Carroll, Jr.) of “My Favorite Husband” adapted it for TV with Liz Cooper becoming Lucy Ricardo, a housewife desperate to get into showbiz, much to the dismay of her husband, bandleader Ricky Ricardo (Arnaz). Her harebrained schemes often involved their landlords and good friends, Fred and Ethel Mertz (William Frawley and Vivian Vance).

The show was an immediate success and ranked No. 1 for four of its six seasons. Ball -- whose first child Lucie was born on July 17, 1951 just weeks before filming of “I Love Lucy” began -- became pregnant again at the end of the first season. The decision was made that the Ricardos would have a baby too. Both babies were born on Jan. 19, 1953 with Little Ricky debuting to a record-breaking television audience and Desi Jr. soon appearing on the cover of the first national TV Guide.

Under the astute leadership of Arnaz, Desilu Productions quickly became the biggest producer of TV programs in Hollywood, with hits including “Our Miss Brooks,” “Private Secretary,” “Make Room for Daddy” and “The Untouchables.” In 1957, the ever-expanding company bought RKO Studios where the couple had first met.

Their 20-year marriage ended in 1960 and each eventually remarried (she to comedian Gary Morton in 1961 and he to socialite Edith Hirsch in 1963). Arnaz sold his interest in Desilu Productions to Ball in 1962 and she became the first woman to head a major Hollywood studio. During her tenure, Desilu Productions produced “Mission Impossible” and “Star Trek” as well as her highly rated return to TV, “The Lucy Show.” Ball sold the company to Paramount in 1967 and formed a self-titled production company to oversee her third successful sitcom “Here’s Lucy” which also ran for six years and co-starred her children Lucie and Desi Jr.

Arnaz, who returned to producing in the late 1960s with “The Mothers-In-Law,” went on to live a quiet life in Del Mar and died of lung cancer at the age of 69 on Dec. 2, 1986. Five days later, Ball received the Kennedy Center Honors and Robert Stack, star of “The Untouchables,” read a note from Arnaz which ended with the line: “‘I Love Lucy’ was never just a title."

Ball died at the age of 77 on April 26, 1989 of a ruptured aorta. She had appeared just four weeks earlier with long-time friend and co-star Bob Hope at the 61st annual Academy Awards where they were greeted with a standing ovation. While she never won an Oscar, among her many honors were four Emmys and the Governors Award from the TV academy, the Cecil B. DeMille Award from the Golden Globes and the Presidential Medal of Freedom.

My link

·Flapper dance costume worn by Lucie Arnaz in duet with Lucy ("Here's Lucy," 1972)

·

The artist smock would have been from the last season opener in 1973.

Does anyone know what costumes the other two are?

If the pant suit comes in 32w32L, I'll buy it!

·

The artist smock would have been from the last season opener in 1973.

I'm assuming Lucie's flapper costume is her her costume from "My Fair Buzzi." She didn't actually do a duet with Lucy, though.

if this post does NOT delete, please disregard it; I see now where the costumes are listed.... sorry for the post; but, have discovered we cannot DELETE in this Forum....BROCK????

Regards, JK

AMAZING, it DID delete!!!!

I know, i sure miss that DELETE button.

I'm assuming Lucie's flapper costume is her her costume from "My Fair Buzzi." She didn't actually do a duet with Lucy, though.

It is from that episode and it's very cute...they had some misleading info on their site that fans will take issue with. I have sent a note in to have things corrected.

·

·Bold hound’s-tooth wool pant suit worn by Lucy in her last film “Mame” (1974) NOT IN THE FINAL CUT OF MAME, EVEN IT WAS DONE FOR THIS FILM, WHICH I DOUBT. WOMEN OF THAT PERIOD DID NOT WEAR PANTSUITS.

The artist smock would have been from the last season opener in 1973. This is correct...from "Lucy and Danny Thomas" episode of HL....I sent a note to the president of the Hwd Museum to correct their error.

There will be other costumes as well...including her modern day costume from "DuBarry" which looks pink in the film, but in reality is "movie white."

The cool lady in waiting costume that Lucy wears in the Bankhead episode (during the play) will be featured as well.

More information on what's in store at the Hollywood Museum! Is this the first time Arthur Hamilton has participated in an event like this?

In celebration of Lucille Ball's 100th birthday and the 60th anniversary of I Love Lucy, The Hollywood Museum, CBS Home Entertainment and Paramount Home Entertainment pay tribute to Lucy - America's Queen of Comedy, with a reception and the largest "I Love Lucy" reunion in a decade on Thursday, August 4, 2011 6:00 -9:00 p.m.

The gala reception launches the Hollywood Museum's special Exhibit with a special guest appearance by Lucie Arnaz, daughter of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, and award-winning actress and singer. Other honored guests in the I Love Lucy reunion and tribute include:

Dann Cahn - the only living legend of the original Lucy Creative Team - best known as the head editor of the TV series, I Love Lucy and for his work as the head of post-production of Desilu

Tom Watson - Lucy's publicist for 20 years and creator of All About Lucy the Webzine for Lucy Fans & Collectors

Bernard Weitzman - Executive VP of Desilu Productions

Arthur Hamilton - Wrote the music for the Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour

Doris Singleton - Actress and co-star on Here's Lucy Show 1968-1974

Christina Carroll - Bob Carroll's daughter - Carroll helped develop and create a vaudeville act for Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, which became the basis for the pilot episode of the I Love Lucy series

The gala reception launches a new exhibition at the Hollywood Museum, "Lucille Ball at 100 & ‘I Love Lucy' at 60," which will be on display from Aug. 3 to Nov. 30, showcasing memorabilia saluting the careers and romance of Hollywood's most famous lovebirds.

"The Hollywood Museum in the Historic Max Factor Building is the perfect venue for this exhibit because it's where Max Factor gave Lucille Ball her famous red hair," says Museum President Donelle Dadigan. "The ‘RED HEADS ONLY' Room has been carefully preserved in her memory today. The museum's historic connection to Lucy is the reason the U.S. Postal Service chose to unveil its official Lucille Ball commemorative stamp here in 2001." The Hollywood Museum is located 1660 N. Highland Ave, Hollywood, CA.

The exhibit is presented in conjunction with CBS Home Entertainment and Paramount Home Entertainment's newly released DVD collection The Best of I Love Lucy now available exclusively at Target and Target.com. Including 14 of the funniest and most recognizable episodes starring the comedy legend Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, I Love Lucy is the cornerstone of modern-day sitcoms and set the gold standard of family entertainment. Relive the most beloved episodes of the show including Lucy's hilarious attempt to pass herself off as a prima ballerina, her laugh-out-loud audition for Vitameatavegimen, her side-splitting time grape-stomping at an Italian vineyard, her famed shenanigans in a chocolate factory, and much more. Co-starring Emmy winner Vivian Vance and William Frawley, The Best Of I Love Lucy is a two-disc set of 14 magnificently restored episodes, a must-have for fans of all ages.

"Lucille Ball at 100 & ‘I Love Lucy' at 60" Exhibit includes:

"Redheads Only Room" where Max Factor worked on Lucy's famous look, featuring their original signed contract.

Awards, Certificates, Statuettes/Trophies, Plaques - including the special tribute to Lucy at the 33rd Annual Emmys (1981) and a congratulatory letter from President Ronald Reagan

Original Costume sketches - Halston, Elois Jennsen, Bob Mackie

The famous first national TV Guide (April 3, 1953) featuring Desi, Jr. on the cover as the $50 million baby

Items showcasing the genius of Desi - including original editing equipment which allowed for the technical advancement of TV production (3 cameras, live audience, on film)

A huge photography collection spanning Lucy's life including her childhood, modelling career, films, radio and TV with some never-before-seen candid personal shots

Lucy's autographed leg cast from her 1972 ski accident at Snowmass, CO

Personal annotated copies of Lucy's scripts from TV shows and films

Desi's original recordings + sheet music

Montage of original photos from Lucy and Desi's homes and apartments including Palm Springs, NYC and Beverly Hills

Elizabethan gown worn by Lucy opposite guest Tallulah Bankhead ("The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour," 1957).

Artist smock worn by Lucy opposite guest Danny Thomas ("The Lucy Show," 1965)

Flapper dance costume worn by Lucie Arnaz in duet with Lucy ("Here's Lucy," 1972)

Overalls worn by Lucy in co-star Gale Gordon's hardware store ("Life with Lucy," 1986).

Bold hound's-tooth wool pant suit worn by Lucy in her last film "Mame" (1974)

Ivory and lavender beaded gown worn by Lucy in her first MGM film "Dubarry Was a Lady" (1943) opposite co-stars Red Skelton and Gene Kelly

Iconic trench coat worn by Lucy and featured in ads for the classic film noir "Lured" (1947)

Other personal outfits from the 1940s, 1950s and 1960s.

Lucy's Scripts Include:

"I Love Lucy" - Season 6, Episode 6: "Off to Florida" (Nov. 12, 1956)

"The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour" - Episode 2: "The Celebrity Next Door" (Dec. 3, 1957)

"The Lucy Show" - Season 1, Episode 1: "Lucy Waits Up for Chris" (Oct. 1, 1962); Season 1, Episode 5: "Lucy Buys a Sheep" (Oct. 29, 1962)

"Here's Lucy" - Season 2, Episode 10: "Lucy the Cement Worker" (Nov. 24, 1969); Season 3, Episode 1: "Lucy Meets the Burtons" (Sept. 14,1970); Season 5, Episode 16: "Lucy Goes on Her Last Blind Date" (Jan. 8, 1973)

"Life with Lucy" - Season 1, Episode 1: "One Good Grandparent Deserves Another" (Sept. 20, 1986)

For more details, please go to http://yousend.it/mZTcDY

WHERE: The Hollywood Museum, 1660 N. Highland Avenue, Hollywood, CA 90028

WHEN: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Wednesday through Sunday

EXHIBIT INFO: Aug. 4, 2011 to Dec. 31, 2011

PRICE: $15 for adults; $12 for seniors and children under 12.

INFO: (323) 464-7776 http://www.thehollywoodmuseum.com

Read more: http://losangeles.broadwayworld.com/article/I-Love-Lucy-Reunion-Exhibit-at-Hollywood-Museum-and-DVD-Release-20110731_page2#ixzz1ThNFQenS

From the LA Times. The Egyptian Theatre will be screening The Long, Long Trailer and The Dark Corner on Thursday.

More love for Lucille Ball as 100th birthday nears

American Cinematheque's Egyptian Theatre and the Hollywood Museum plan to mark the zany redhead's upcoming centennial with movies and an exhibition that highlight the star behind the comedy.

By Susan King, Los Angeles Times

August 1, 2011

Advertisement

Lucille Ball would have turned 100 on Aug. 6, and it would seem that Americans have loved her for nearly that long. But in fact, it took years for audiences to love Lucy.

She had been kicking around Hollywood for nearly two decades before her performance in the seminal CBS sitcom "I Love Lucy," which celebrates its 60th anniversary this year. Her portrayal of the sweetly daffy redhead Lucy Ricardo, whose slapstick antics and schemes exasperated her Cuban band leader husband, Ricky (real-life hubby Desi Arnaz), turned her into a comic superstar.

Ball, who died in 1989, was a platinum blond when she began as a sexy "Goldwyn Girl" chorine in the early 1930s in musical comedies such as 1933's "Roman Scandals." Then she moved off to RKO, working her way from bit parts in such Fred Astaire-Ginger Rogers musical comedies as 1935's "Roberta." She was occasionally in "A" films at the studio such as 1937's "Stage Door" with Katharine Hepburn and Rogers, but she quickly became labeled as the "Queen of the B's" at the studio.

"She was probably one of the hardest-working actresses in Hollywood," said Kathleen Brady, author of "Lucille: The Life of Lucille Ball." "At one point, she was making 10 films at once. But somehow she never crossed over [to become a star]."

But Ball never gave up. She had "extraordinary perseverance, whether it was about getting pregnant or becoming a major star," Brady said. "Somehow it took a long time to come together for her."

Ball's daughter, Lucie Arnaz, is thrilled that everyone is taking her mother's centennial so seriously. "It's a nice thing to do to look back and remember when somebody really changed the way we think about things, whether it be Thomas Edison or Lucille Ball," Arnaz said. "I think she would, of course, be extremely honored and proud."

Because "I Love Lucy" is on DVD and still airs on TV in reruns, Arnaz is constantly approached by fans of her mother. "I hear the same kind of stories from the same age people decade after decade as if it were the film 'Groundhog Day.' It is bizarre to be me."

CBS Video jumped on the birthday bandwagon in June with the release of 14 classic episodes of "I Love Lucy," including "Lucy Does a TV Commercial" and "Lucy's Italian Movie." Next week, Warner Archive is releasing several of her film comedies, including 1949's "Miss Grant Takes Richmond" and Turner Classic Movies will be screening several of her films on her birthday.

The American Cinematheque's Egyptian Theatre will present two of her features Thursday evening: "The Long, Long Trailer," the 1954 comedy with Arnaz, and the 1946 film noir "The Dark Corner." And on the same evening, the Hollywood Museum opens its "Lucille Ball at 100 & 'I Love Lucy' at 60" exhibition that features costumes, scripts and even Arnaz's original recordings and sheet music. The exhibition continues through Nov. 30.

Before "Lucy," Ball did dramas like 1942's "The Big Street," musicals such as 1943's "Best Foot Forward," in which she unveiled her new look as a redhead, and even film noirs like "The Dark Corner" with Clifton Webb. But the seeds of Lucy Ricardo began to bloom in the late 1940s, when she started to do several feature comedies such as 1949's "Sorrowful Jones," 1950's "Fancy Pants" with Bob Hope and 1949's "Miss Grant Takes Richmond."

She also starred in her first radio show, "My Favorite Husband," from 1948-51, in which she played Liz Cooper, a happily married middle-class housewife. Ball worked on the radio series with writers Bob Carroll Jr., Madelyn Pugh and Jess Oppenheimer, who penned countless of the "Lucy" episodes.

Arnaz said that once her mother understood she had the power to make people laugh, "she realized, 'This is what I am supposed to be doing.' When she hit gold, there was no turning back. She didn't want to prove herself as a dramatic actress. She said, 'I found the Lucy character' and said, 'This is what I am.'"

My link

Article written by Jackie Joseph about the event:

Everyone Loves Lucy at The Hollywood Museum

By Jackie Joseph on August 11th, 2011

The glorious lobby of The Hollywood Museum in the historic Max Factor Building, where Lucy became a redhead.

I want to Talk about celebrating two milestones in the life of America’s Queen of Comedy: Lucille Ball’s 100th birthday and the 60th anniversary of I Love Lucy. The gala reception was appropriately at The Hollywood Museum, in the historic and most fabulous Max Factor Building. A gaggle of stars became instant tourists cruising the premiere collection of movie wonders, and the special exhibit of Lucy-arama. The museum, along with CBS DVD and Paramount Home Entertainment, deserve gratitude and applause. And this is open to the public until November 30. Do not pass Go! This is a real destination; prepare to spend a good part of your day —there’s so much rich detail and memories of Hollywood glory, then and now.

Universally adored for her madcap television antics, I always think of Lucy the person, who was generous, caring and devoted to her family and friends — a great mother to her children and a fine daughter to her mom. It was great fortune to have worked with Lucy and experience firsthand her professionalism and serious knowledge of what everyone in the show was doing every moment. In the early ‘60s, she created Lucille Ball’s Desilu Workshop, in which she worked with and nurtured young performers such as Robert Osborne, actress-singers Carole Cook and Marilynn Lovell and Ken Berry. Ken and I were young marrieds then, and Lucy brought us into her circle of friends and sent silver toothbrushes from Tiffany’s when both my children arrived. At that time, little Lucie was young and not so little. We were guests at her wedding in big Lucy’s back yard. “She’s the funny one,” said the idolized comic Lucille, who was not “on” at home, but was a gracious hostess and emptied ashtrays. Wonderful days. Lucy and Lucie worked together at Actors and Others for Animals’ first event, taking Polaroids with fans. Inundated. Lucky fans!

Now, lucky fans can go to The Hollywood Museum and melt into Lucy memorabilia. An entire floor dedicated to everything Lucy.

“The Hollywood Museum is the perfect venue for this exhibit because it’s where Lucille Ball went for makeup and hair treatments from Mr. Factor,” says museum President Donelle Dadigan. “It’s where Lucy first became a redhead. She had the longest-running contract of all of Mr. Factor’s celebrity clients, and he frequently used her image in his PR and ad promotions. The Redheads Only Room has been carefully preserved in her memory today. So, when you go, inhale the air in the heavenly pink lobby. Sense the stars that have been beautified in these glorious rooms. See how Jean Harlow became a blond, and see her car, on the third floor. Dazzling. (It’s open from Wednesday through Sunday, 10 to 5.)

The top floor is for parties. What a place to have your celebration and have free run of the museum, plus the creepy basement full of horrors (including Hannibal Lecter).

For the Lucy party, which was packed with stars and fans, very tasty food was served and a fantastic panel of speakers brought Lucy memories to life.

This was the largest Lucy reunion in the past decade, with original creative talent from Lucy and Desi’s world, including:

Lucie Arnaz (who said this was like a Desilu picnic) is the gorgeous and talented daughter of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz; Dann Cahn, the living legend of the original Lucy Creative Team and best known as the head editor of I Love Lucy; Bernard Weitzman, Executive VP of Desilu Productions; Arthur Hamilton, wrote the music for the Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour; Doris Singleton, actress and co-star on Here’s Lucy; Shirley Mitchell, actress from I Love Lucy; Wanda Clark, Lucy’s secretary for 28 years; Bob Schiller, original writer on I Love Lucy and Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour; Tom Watson, Lucy’s long time publicist and creator of All About Lucy the Webzine for Lucy Fans & Collectors. These are great members of the Hollywood community and the Lucy team, and thanks to them all, they quietly enriched the legend. I respectfully end with some quotes:

“The truth is they [Desi and Lucy] wanted to stay together so that they could have a family… Everyone did it for all the right reasons: not to be famous, not to make money, not to be better than another show… No one worried whether people were more talented than the next or who had more lines. They just got in the sandbox and played — and I think that’s the reason why this show has survived so long.” – Lucie Arnaz.

“I Love Lucy was never just a title.” – Desi Arnaz

“I’m not funny — what I am is brave” – Lucille Ball.

My link

Archived