Paley Center Loves Lucy

HarryCarter

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very nice, any other shots of the building? And i assume one of the two guys is YOU, which one is it?

Yes - I am the one on the right and there is also a large photo of Judy Garland on a the other pole outside of the building,as they are currently running a 4 week festival of Judy's television work. I have a photo of that and wll be going back this weekend if you would like to see more shots of the Paley Center - its a wonderful place - just got myself a membership there and I will need to go check out the archives in the library soon.

Good photo! Which one are you, Mickie?

Brock - I am on the right side of the photo

Here is a photo of Lucy & Judy they are using in promos for both festivals and on the Paley Center web site.

On August 6th, i will attend a Judy showing at 12:30 and a Lucy showing at 3:15.

post-51-083082700 1311623843_thumb.png

Yes - I am the one on the right and there is also a large photo of Judy Garland on a the other pole outside of the building,as they are currently running a 4 week festival of Judy's television work. I have a photo of that and wll be going back this weekend if you would like to see more shots of the Paley Center - its a wonderful place - just got myself a membership there and I will need to go check out the archives in the library soon.

Hey, i got it right, i just KNEW it.

That's great that you became a member! It is such a great place. There are so many things avaliable there that you can't see anywhere else.

This starts today! The Paley Center has a very short clip of Lucy and Carol's "Poof" number from The Carol Burnett Show on the frontpage of their website:

Paley Center

I'm terribly disappointed that 'the KID' didn't align her stars so that SHE could have been here for Lucille's 100th birthday anniversary! After all, Lucille sent her flowers on HER birthday the day Lucille died! (April 26th)

Regards, JK

I'm terribly disappointed that 'the KID' didn't align her stars so that SHE could have been here for Lucille's 100th birthday anniversary! After all, Lucille sent her flowers on HER birthday the day Lucille died! (April 26th)

Regards, JK

Not just on the day she died but on every birthday. Yes, as much as i adore Joan Rivers for her working as hard as Lucy and her talent of course, NOBODY would have been a better choice for the headliner this year than Carol Burnett. Lucy mentored her and they were very good friends all those years. Shame she could not have fit it into her busy schedule as a tribute to the woman she says she thinks about every single day of her life.

Not just on the day she died but on every birthday. Yes, as much as i adore Joan Rivers for her working as hard as Lucy and her talent of course, NOBODY would have been a betetr choice for the headliner this year than Carol Burnett. Lucy mentored her and they were very good friends all those years. Shame she could not have fit it into her busy schedule as a tribute to the woman she says she thinks about every single day of her life.

Couldn't agree with you more, my friend! I think I'm really disappointed in Carol Burnett.... Love, JK

Couldn't agree with you more, my friend! I think I'm really disappointed in Carol Burnett.... Love, JK

When Carol helped induct Lucy into the very first ceremony for the TV Hall of Fame, she said that she wished she were half the woman Lucy was. Well, deep down, i have a feeling if the shoe had been on the other foot, Lucy would have made plans to attend a tribute to Carol.

Carol did move her variety show to New York for a week just so she could attend Lucy's International Radio and Television Society Gold Medal presentation in 1971. David Frost was her guest that week and the show is referenced in his Here's Lucy episode. Carol's rearranged her schedule for a Lucy salute before.

Have a good time at the Paley Center today, Mickie. I hope you enjoy the screening. I did.

Carol did move her variety show to New York for a week just so she could attend Lucy's International Radio and Television Society Gold Medal presentation in 1971. David Frost was her guest that week and the show is referenced in his Here's Lucy episode. Carol's rearranged her schedule for a Lucy salute before.

Have a good time at the Paley Center today, Mickie. I hope you enjoy the screening. I did.

Well, i think her 100th birthday celebration warranted a visit from her, i mean she adored Lucy and the feeling was quite mutual. I mean they referred to Carol as almost a member of the FAMILY, oops, bad example. :lucydisgust::lucythrill:

What a great day it was on Saturday, August 6th, the Lucy marathons on TCM, Hallmark and Me-TV, plus there was Lucy in the news, all over Facebook and Google.

I attended the Lucy Screening at the Paley Center that afternoon and I must say it was well attended, a lot of people showed up and it really was not advertised that I know of, so it was a nice surprise. They showed Lucy's appearances on The Carol Burnett Show 1968 and 1970, the Dinah Shore Special "Like Hep" (1969) with Lucy signing with Dinah and Diana Ross, Donny & Marie, Garry Moore, two Ed Sullivan appearances - the 1961 show with the Wildcat performance and the 1968 show when she was promoting Yours, Mine & Ours with the cast and Lucy as a surprise guest for Lucie on the Don Ho Show (1977).

It was great to see the Dick Cavett interview from 1971, which I had never seen before. Great interview and Lucie and Carol were also on the talk show. They capped it all off with the "Lucy Does a TV commercial"

The next showing will be great because it also includes several rare Lucy apperances, including the pilot for The Zsa Zsa Gabor Show (1969) that at Lucy appeared on.

Hope everyone had a wonderful Lucy weekend.

What a great day it was on Saturday, August 6th, the Lucy marathons on TCM, Hallmark and Me-TV, plus there was Lucy in the news, all over Facebook and Google.

I attended the Lucy Screening at the Paley Center that afternoon and I must say it was well attended, a lot of people showed up and it really was not advertised that I know of, so it was a nice surprise. They showed Lucy's appearances on The Carol Burnett Show 1968 and 1970, the Dinah Shore Special "Like Hep" (1969) with Lucy signing with Dinah and Diana Ross, Donny & Marie, Garry Moore, two Ed Sullivan appearances - the 1961 show with the Wildcat performance and the 1968 show when she was promoting Yours, Mine & Ours with the cast and Lucy as a surprise guest for Lucie on the Don Ho Show (1977).

It was great to see the Dick Cavett interview from 1971, which I had never seen before. Great interview and Lucie and Carol were also on the talk show. They capped it all off with the "Lucy Does a TV commercial"

The next showing will be great because it also includes several rare Lucy apperances, including the pilot for The Zsa Zsa Gabor Show (1969) that at Lucy appeared on.

Hope everyone had a wonderful Lucy weekend.

Lucy's Dick Cavett show appearance is out on dvd as part of his Famous Conmedians collection, and you're right, it's just a great interview that delves into absolutely every aspect of her life.

Lucy's Dick Cavett show appearance is out on dvd as part of his Famous Conmedians collection, and you're right, it's just a great interview that delves into absolutely every aspect of her life.

This is another appearance on The Dick Cavett Show. Lucy was on with Lucie and Carol Burnett in 1971. This is not avaliable on DVD.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, Mickie!

This is another appearance on The Dick Cavett Show. Lucy was on with Lucie and Carol Burnett in 1971. This is not avaliable on DVD.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, Mickie!

Correct - that other Cavett appearance is from 74 when she was promoting Mame - another great interview.

Archived