TV Guide clippings

From the "Teletype" section of a June 1962 issue of TV Guide:

"Lucille Ball is set to begin filming of her new TV series July 12th on a newly refurbished set (to the tune of $65,000) at Desilu Studios."

$65,000 in 1962 is the equivalent of $500,000 today!

Yeah, we sometimes forget about things like that. That's why the sale of Desilu for seventeen million of which ten was hers was a big news item also. As was her one hundred thousand dollar salary for that first Danny Kaye special at about the same time.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=231069589609#

Has anyone ever seen the AFI Salute to Billy Wilder? Does Lucy actually speak on camera? I thought she was only seated in the audience. Only half the people listed in the TV Guide ad actually worked with Wilder.

That's right, she was in the audience but did not speak.

• 3 weeks later...

Nov. 1963 TV Guide article where different people were spouting off about the quality of TV programming.

One of them said something like "and we have perfectly wonderful comedies like "The Lucy Show"". That unlikely Lucy fan was RICHARD BOONE!! of Have Gun, Will Travel fame who that year returned to tv in the critically acclaim, but anemically rated "Richard Boone Show", an NBC anthology series.

Nov. 1963 TV Guide article where different people were spouting off about the quality of TV programming.

One of them said something like "and we have perfectly wonderful comedies like "The Lucy Show"". That unlikely Lucy fan was RICHARD BOONE!! of Have Gun, Will Travel fame who that year returned to tv in the critically acclaim, but anemically rated "Richard Boone Show", an NBC anthology series.

Wow, did not know that.

• 10 months later...

As a kid, "Glynis" was the only regular series that came close to my can't-miss-it obsession with The Lucy Show.  I've seen episodes as an adult and I think it still holds up pretty well, especially when compared to other sitcoms of the time done in the single camera-laugh track style. I was relatively rare that shows were canceled after half a season and I don't understand why Glynis's ratings were so bad.  It didn't have a good lead-in "CBS Reports" but it preceded the #1 program Beverly Hillbillies.  The competition was the last half hour of the 90 minute "Virginian" western which did fairly well in the ratings; and "The Price is Right" on ABC.  I've looked back and only one or two critics that liked "Glynis".  Most hated it.  If you look at the sitcoms of the 1963-64 season only a few hold up well today.  Also makes you appreciate "The Lucy Show" even more.  "Glynis" was certainly better than Imogene Coca's "Grindl" and other sitcoms that premiered and at least lasted the full season.

It had a unique angle in that, as a mystery writer, Glynis sometimes faced real danger.  And Glynis Johns was great!  With that very unique voice. 

"Glynis" was brought back as the 1965 summer replacement for "The Lucy Show" and according to wikipedia ranked #6 in the ratings, slightly better than TLS had done for that season.  You'd think that would have been motivation to bring it back.

• Like 1