Our Lucy Collections!

I've got practically every DVD shown in the picture, plus the Lucille Ball Film Boxset. I also tracked down all 5 Columbia House tapes years before The Lucy Show was released on DVD. I used to have many VHS volumes of the I Love Lucy collection, but sold most of them in garage sales after I got the DVDs

Good for you, i ended up giving all my copies to friends, relatives or fans. Beta, Laserdisc, then VHS and now even DVD's as i get new versions of old things.

• 2 months later...

Out of curiosity for all you collectors out there, I was wondering what everyone's very first item was and why they picked it up? Any favourite things?

First Book: Loving Lucy by Tom Watson. When I visited the Lucy tribute in Orlando in 1992 (?) I was allowed to pick ONE ( :lucyshock: The nerve!) item from the gift shop and chose Tom's book. The pictures were absolutely amazing and then the collecting bug bit me.

First Non-Book Item: The "Lucy" plate from the Hamilton Collection when it first came out, the last one in their first series of plates with collage of four images. I found it in a groovy little gift shop that has since gone out of business and spent the next two hours walking around the mall campaigning to get it as a Christmas present. LOL

Favourite Item: My TLS scripts with Gale's notes and doodles.

Great idea, Brock! I first became a Lucy collector and super fan during the summer of 2001 when I was 13.

First Book: Elisabeth Edwards' "I Love Lucy: Celebrating 50 Years of Love and Laughter." Got it for Christmas 2001 and read it ALL THE TIME and any time we went on a trip for the next couple months that book came with me. I seriously knew it inside and out! So that book will always be special to me as it was my first Lucy book, but I just counted the other day and was a little surprised (but proud :lucythrill:) to realize I now have 45 Lucy books! :lucywow:

First TV Show: To quell my horror and embarrassing tears over Nick-at-Nite's audacity to replace I Love Lucy Mondays with Gilligan's Island at the end of the summer of 2001 (looking back, it actually is so embarrassing, I was legitimately sobbing. LOL), the first Lucy tape my mom bought me had "The Kleptomaniac" and...can't remember the other episode...on it.

First Movie: The Long, Long Trailer VHS

First Non-Book Item: I really can't remember, exactly. I think it might have been that "I Love Lucy" tin sign with the color picture of Lucy and Desi and the b&w collage of "Lucy moments" in the background.

Favorite Item: Well, now it's my recently acquired Lucy postcard to DeDe. :) But before that my favorite item was my mint condition 1943 Lucille Ball paper dolls that I bought at the collector's show in Jamestown four years ago. I love them because I had seen them the year before and REALLY wanted them, but didn't have the money. So I saved my money all the next year and hoped they'd still be there. They were, and I just felt like it was a totally worthwhile purchase! Plus I love the fact that they are Lucille Ball paper dolls, not Lucy Ricardo or some movie character (the dealer was also selling DuBarry Was a Lady paper dolls).

I have no idea, it was all much too long ago. But the first thing was definitely a BOOK on her and i too got the great Loving Lucy book right when it came out. Then i started copying the shows on tv when they played when VCR's first came out back in the early eighties.

It all started in a 5,000 watt radio station in Fresno, California.... lucyhorror.JPG

Not sure if I remember which item was first, but the first book was Desilu (the first edition). After I saw the Home Movies special back when it originally aired I thought I need to know more about this woman. I got that book when I was in 8th grade and read it 3 times in a row. I've picked it up from time to time over the years (most recently last month). I got that copied signed back at the LA convention in 97 and told the authors that was the first Lucy book I ever read and was glad I had started with one so good.

I remember that 97 convention and dragging about 7 books with me in my suitcase to just get signed.

Not sure if I remember which item was first, but the first book was Desilu (the first edition). After I saw the Home Movies special back when it originally aired I thought I need to know more about this woman. I got that book when I was in 8th grade and read it 3 times in a row. I've picked it up from time to time over the years (most recently last month). I got that copied signed back at the LA convention in 97 and told the authors that was the first Lucy book I ever read and was glad I had started with one so good.

I remember that 97 convention and dragging about 7 books with me in my suitcase to just get signed.

Oh yeah, i do that too, reread old books on her. With time, you forget and at my age every book is NEW.

My mom had a copy of the Bart Andrews book with the bright yellow cover, back when it was called, "Lucy & Ricky & Fred & Ethel". That was the first book I read.

When the I Love Lucy DVD set came out, I bought it as soon as I saw it in the store! After thoroughly enjoying that, I began buying the books, & have around 30? Maybe more. Here & there over the years I've picked up some posters, tin signs, a clock & Christmas ornaments.

(Would have loved that Lucy-Desi award that was on ebay ;) but I never placed a bid because it started at $499. Did you see that it went for over $5,000? :lucywow: )

My mom had a copy of the Bart Andrews book with the bright yellow cover, back when it was called, "Lucy & Ricky & Fred & Ethel". That was the first book I read.

When the I Love Lucy DVD set came out, I bought it as soon as I saw it in the store! After thoroughly enjoying that, I began buying the books, & have around 30? Maybe more. Here & there over the years I've picked up some posters, tin signs, a clock & Christmas ornaments.

(Would have loved that Lucy-Desi award that was on ebay ;) but I never placed a bid because it started at $499. Did you see that it went for over $5,000? :lucywow: )

Oh the Andrews book was one of the all time best, no wonder you got hooked. What the heck award was so unworthy of keeping that they would auction it off?

Claude, it was this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lucille-Ball-Desi-Arnaz-1953-Merit-Award-Academy-Television-Arts-Sciences-Wall-/390366709321?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae3ab4649

It was added after the site announced there would be no more items listed. I liked it because it was an early award, & to both of them. They probably both handled it, too. :lucy1::desi1:B)

Claude, it was this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lucille-Ball-Desi-Arnaz-1953-Merit-Award-Academy-Television-Arts-Sciences-Wall-/390366709321?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae3ab4649

It was added after the site announced there would be no more items listed. I liked it because it was an early award, & to both of them. They probably both handled it, too. :lucy1::desi1:B)

Oh wow beautiful, but almost 6 thousand bucks, no wonder they couldn't refuse to sell it.

• 1 month later...

Food for thought:

If you find that perfect item for your collection at a flea market or an antiques store or a collector's show, do you snap it up right away knowing that you may be able to find it much cheaper on eBay, or does the excitement of actually finding it in person win out?

Food for thought:

If you find that perfect item for your collection at a flea market or an antiques store or a collector's show, do you snap it up right away knowing that you may be able to find it much cheaper on eBay, or does the excitement of actually finding it in person win out?

I dunno about THERE, but HERE, if you find anything, and have it in your grubby little hands, you KNOW you may never see this again and grab it right away at any price.

Food for thought:

I learned the hard way at the collector's show in Jamestown one year, so now if I see an item that's reasonably in my price range, I snatch it up right away! Plus, not that I haven't been super excited to find things on eBay, but it's so much more exciting to find something in person! :professor:

Archived