Lucy Festival 2011 - Comments, Photos, etc.

The people in the audience really seemed to enjoy this particular episode. They weren't busting a gut, to use a colourful expression, but they were laughing very enthusiastically. It is always interesting to see how these episodes do play out with today's audiences in Jamestown. I'm not saying this as a Gale fan, but judging by the laughter and general reactions from the crowd, audiences truly seem to get the biggest kick out of Lucy and Harry's interaction and relationship.

That doesn't surprise me... despite all the yelling and whatnot, as the series progressed, it was increasingly obvious that there was a mutual, if grudging affection between the two characters, which would manifest occassionally in certain episodes, such as when Viv replaced Lucy as Harry's secretary, they "coincidentally" met at the coffee shop and after talking a bit, realized how much they actually missed each other; another example would be when she broke her leg and he (Harry) was quite worried about her when he first visited her while hospitalized and my personal favorite, when she attempted to replace the vase she broke from his previous, favorite secretary and despite it's flaws, he accepted it with gratitude and affection, one of the highlights of the series for me. :D

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That doesn't surprise me... despite all the yelling and whatnot, as the series progressed, it was increasingly obvious that there was a mutual, if grudging affection between the two characters, which would manifest occassionally in certain episodes, such as when Viv replaced Lucy as Harry's secretary, they "coincidentally" met at the coffee shop and after talking a bit, realized how much they actually missed each other; another example would be when she broke her leg and he (Harry) was quite worried about her when he first visited her while hospitalized and my personal favorite, when she attempted to replace the vase she broke from his previous, favorite secretary and despite it's flaws, he accepted it with gratitude and affection, one of the highlights of the series for me. :D

True, all true, warmth sometimes replaces or rather ENHANCES the relationship which helps the comedy and the characters also. It certainly did in this case.

I totally agree. I'm concerned about future festivals. I realized that Lucy wanted a center which was founded in her honor to focus on new comedy and helping aspiring comedians get started and I believe that's not only a generous thing to do but also a way to "pay it forward" by continuing comedic talent in the future. I'm just concered, though, about who (besides those wishing to hone the comedian craft or those wishing to help aspiring comedians) will come to such events from a long distance. My opinion is that people who come from across the country to Jamestown come to attend and/or participate in Lucy-related events. Those who are local to Chatauqua County and the surrounding area may be interested in attending such comedy events and I'm fine with that; it's a great thing to offer. I'm just wondering how the Center would attract people from outside the area (e.g. me who lives 7 hours away from Jamestown) to attend such events when there are comedy clubs and other similar venues where I can enjoy aspiring comedians and other performing arts and they're less than 2 hours from my home.

Mary Jane Fan

Absolutely and very well said.

"Lucy" Will Survive

(This is from the Saturday brunch show)

Ok, watching that and enjoying it a lot, as much as i loved it and the performer, it begs the question, where was Suzanne while Lucy is celebrating her 100th? I know i've asked before but still no reply, what gives?

Ok, watching that and enjoying it a lot, as much as i loved it and the performer, it begs the question, where was Suzanne while Lucy is celebrating her 100th? I know i've asked before but still no reply, what gives?

Joey replied to your question in this thread -- Suzanne was at the Lucy event in California. ;)

Suzanne typically covers the California Lucy events while Diane gets Jamestown duty. I think Suzanne has only performed in Jamestown once and that was with her one-woman show that Lucie directed.

Joey replied to your question in this thread -- Suzanne was at the Lucy event in California. ;)

Suzanne typically covers the California Lucy events while Diane gets Jamestown duty. I think Suzanne has only performed in Jamestown once

Oh, sorry i missed that, thanks for clarifying, at least the folks in California got to see this absolutely incredibly gifted performer do her stuff as Lucy, as only she can.

Judging from photos I think Suzanne went as a civilian. LOL

Well, again that makes no sense then, afraid to steal the spotlight? LOL! Remember that award show where Sue showed up as Lucy and all these stars were incredulous at the goings on? And the time she did it on the Rosie O'donnell show and the next day Rosie said they were not doing that again as some people were spooked or horrified at seeing a dead performer on the show, LOL!

Well, again that makes no sense then, afraid to steal the spotlight? LOL! Remember that award show where Sue showed up as Lucy and all these stars were incredulous at the goings on? And the time she did it on the Rosie O'donnell show and the next day Rosie said they were not doing that again as some people were spooked or horrified at seeing a dead performer on the show, LOL!

As a longtime & personal friend of Suzanne's, I can shed some light on this.

Suzanne was asked and hired to perform at the Lucy/Crystal awards as a surprise to Roseanne, years ago. She was hired to 'crash' the party as part of the evening and needless to say she was incredible. When there is an event that needs "the official Lucy performer", Suzanne is hired for that. She understands that Diane Vincent covers the Jamestown festivals. Diane has done them for the past 17 years! Both are fine actresses and do many other things. Currently, Suzanne performs her one woman show, "An Evening with Lucille Ball: Thank You for Asking" around the country. It is a 1974 Lucy; she is terrific and the show has been very well received.

On Thursday, August 4th, I asked her to be my date to the Hollywood Museum's "Lucy at 100/I Love Lucy at 60" Press Party. Even Lucie asked 'what personality' she was coming as...and surprise!...she arrived as the lovely Suzanne LaRusch! Suzanne was not asked to perform at this event simply because the ceremony that night belonged to Lucille Ball and the cast of "I Love Lucy." There was no need for anyone to "crash" this event...out of respect.

On another note, it was nice to see such celebrated faces such as Lucie and Larry, Valerie Harper, Carole Cook, Morgan Brittany, Tab Hunter, Hugh O'Brian, Rose Marie, Bernie Weitzman, Dann Cahn, Doris Singleton, Shirley Mitchell, Marjorie Lord, Wanda Clark and many others support the Lucy event.

The "Lucy" exhibit runs until November 30th and I highly recommend taking some time to see it if you are in town. Not sure there are too many places left where private Lucy collections have all been gathered together in one place to experience first hand...other than Jamestown and Universal Studios, Florida.

http://www.thehollywoodmuseum.com/index.php?view=details&id=12%3Alucille-ball-at-100-i-love-lucy-at-60&option=com_eventlist&Itemid=32

As a longtime & personal friend of Suzanne's, I can shed some light on this.

Suzanne was asked and hired to perform at the Lucy/Crystal awards as a surprise to Roseanne, years ago. She was hired to 'crash' the party as part of the evening and needless to say she was incredible. When there is an event that needs "the official Lucy performer", Suzanne is hired for that. She understands that Diane Vincent covers the Jamestown festivals. Diane has done them for the past 17 years! Both are fine actresses and do many other things. Currently, Suzanne performs her one woman show, "An Evening with Lucille Ball: Thank You for Asking" around the country. It is a 1974 Lucy; she is terrific and the show has been very well received.

On Thursday, August 4th, I asked her to be my date to the Hollywood Museum's "Lucy at 100/I Love Lucy at 60" Press Party. Even Lucie asked 'what personality' she was coming as...and surprise!...she arrived as the lovely Suzanne LaRusch! Suzanne was not asked to perform at this event simply because the ceremony that night belonged to Lucille Ball and the cast of "I Love Lucy." There was no need for anyone to "crash" this event...out of respect.

On another note, it was nice to see such celebrated faces such as Lucie and Larry, Valerie Harper, Carole Cook, Morgan Brittany, Tab Hunter, Hugh O'Brian, Rose Marie, Bernie Weitzman, Dann Cahn, Doris Singleton, Shirley Mitchell, Marjorie Lord, Wanda Clark and many others support the Lucy event.

The "Lucy" exhibit runs until November 30th and I highly recommend taking some time to see it if you are in town. Not sure there are too many places left where private Lucy collections have all been gathered together in one place to experience first hand...other than Jamestown and Universal Studios, Florida.

http://www.thehollywoodmuseum.com/index.php?view=details&id=12%3Alucille-ball-at-100-i-love-lucy-at-60&option=com_eventlist&Itemid=32

Must be nice to see, and the few surviving members of that era especially.

• 2 weeks later...

There's nothing funny about someone with a handicap. Nothing. Period. I don't care if she's been doing it for years. Just because someones been murdering people for years doesn't mean it's ok, does it? Moot point, I suppose. I wasn't there and her disgusting humor is exactly why I've never been a fan.

You know, after thinking about this post over and over, i had to find it and come on here and apologize to you, you were absolutely right, and i was totally wrong. I watched a Family Guy special that they did where they mocked Marlee Matlin's being deaf and it was very funny, what was funnier though was when Marlee herself came out nd made fun of the lady making fun of her, saying how fat she was, which was no better of course and still quite funny. I just fear that the political correctness of eliminating all the funny things we can make fun of is making the landscape kinda bleak, with nothing funny anymore but still, you're right, having been the butt of people's jokes growing up, big nose, skinny, gay, and now losing my hair, i can understand what you meant and you were right on with your comments.

A little 'overflow' from fans: [today's edition The Sunday Post-Journal:

"Rivers Was Poor Choice for Lucy Fest - by Ellen Waterway [ed. Zeeland, MI]:

"This year's Lucy Fest was received with mixed feelings from your fans from Michigan. My friend, Mary," (ed. Roelofs - Grandville, MI), "and myself have been faithfully attending the festivals for over 10 years and this year's 100th birthday celebration was something we looked forward to with much excitement.

We fell in love your wonderful city on our very first Lucy Festival back in 2000" (ed. while still under the auspices of the Arts Council; unknown if arrdubya was affiliated at that time; but, assumably so), [ed. from this point on, excerpts only...jk]

..."lost car keys; law enforcement official, and others, assisted; six months later, keys returned; note explaining how; where found...'

..."Every year since then has been a wonderful experience for both me and my friend, Mary...until this year; anticipating Lucy's 100th for a year...really looking foward to having a great time with all our Lucy friends; ... being in Guinness Book..."

..."weren't let down with the people...who came to celebrate with us... many friends we've made were there ... excitement mounting..."

"Weren't we surprised when... went to Reg ... for the Rivers show. How can this wonderful town have such a crude and crass 'comedian' perform at Lucy Fest? It wasn't any surprise that ... we walked out ... 10 minutes after she uttered her 20th (or more) vulgar words to a packed house of Lucy fans."

"...understand 'adult' comedy...but, at a Lucy Festival? Come on ... you can do better than that, can't you? That's not comedy - that's trash."

"... understand ... majority of stars ... involved with Lucy ... deceased or too old to attend; but, Joan Rivers? Why bother even ... it called a Lucy Celebration when that woman had nothing but garbage coming out of her mouth?"

"Whoever got that woman on the docket should have their head examined and then fired from their job! ... a trash comedian in Jamestown, ... you can have one on any other weekend; but, not on one where we, as Lucy fans, want Lucy humor; not trash and garbage spewing ... mouth every 15 seconds."

"We would love a refund of the money ... wasted on the show; but, we will never repeat again .... it should never happen again.

"... would be able to attend and enjoy a clean comedy show that Lucy herself would probably promote! ...."

Wonder how many more we will get; so far, our local critic, Plyler by name, has not added his two cents' worth; sure there will be others .... guess I was correct in not contributing to this excuse for a comedienne; she should stay in blue bars, where I'm sure she got her start - great as some people think she is, including Lucille, or not; but, Jamestown, NO! I don't even contribute to the local 'unexpected guests' - they have an adult feature to their show, as well....

That's MY TWO CENTS' WORTH...JK

"Weren't we surprised when... went to Reg ... for the Rivers show. How can this wonderful town have such a crude and crass 'comedian' perform at Lucy Fest? It wasn't any surprise that ... we walked out ... 10 minutes after she uttered her 20th (or more) vulgar words to a packed house of Lucy fans."

Unless this woman was visiting Jamestown on her yearly holiday out from under her rock, I don't know how she could have POSSIBLY been surprised by what came out of Joan Rivers' mouth. Why on earth would you spend $30 - $60 to see Joan Rivers and expect "family entertainment"? :lucyshock:

"That's not comedy - that's trash."

"... it called a Lucy Celebration when that woman had nothing but garbage coming out of her mouth..."

"... a trash comedian in Jamestown, ... "

"... not trash and garbage spewing ... "

"...a clean comedy show..."

I'm sensing a theme here. LOL It should be noted that while this woman claims to be speaking on behalf of Lucy fans on her sanitation tirade that the vast majority of fans in attendance stayed firmly in their seats and seemed to enjoy it.

"We would love a refund of the money ... wasted on the show"

She's kidding, right? A refund for buying tickets for Joan Rivers while expecting Donny and Marie?

Unless this woman was visiting Jamestown on her yearly holiday out from under her rock, I don't know how she could have POSSIBLY been surprised by what came out of Joan Rivers' mouth. Why on earth would you spend $30 - $60 to see Joan Rivers and expect "family entertainment"? :lucyshock:

I'm sensing a theme here. LOL It should be noted that while this woman claims to be speaking on behalf of Lucy fans on her sanitation tirade that the vast majority of fans in attendance stayed firmly in their seats and seemed to enjoy it.

She's kidding, right? A refund for buying tickets for Joan Rivers while expecting Donny and Marie?

Very well said Brock, coming out from under a rock indeed, how could anybody not KNOW what to expect from Joan? Nobody's ever funny anymore so they have to resort to shocking humor instead. The festival was very lucky to get her, at least she was not a has been but one of the most popular people in entertainment, thank God they didn't get Rickles, LOL! Or Kathy Griffin, the woman whould have had a stroke.

If anyone's interested, here are some recent stories from the Post Journal, Jamestown's local newspaper, about the Festival.

Photo Gallery

You Can Go Home Again

Joan Rivers was Poor Choice for Lucy Fest

Mary Jane Fan

Thanks, MJF: See if you can 'copy' page one, 8/24/11, East Coast Earthquake PHOTO - there's someone in there everyone will recognize, and I don't know how to do it.... I posted about it...

guess you missed it, as well. Love, JK

MJF, did you and/or your parents ever get the photos taken with Gregg and Joe Mayer on the ILL set? The Museum was supposed to send mine as they weren't ready by Sunday afternoon but I haven't received anything yet.

I figured YOU had a camera phone already, why not? You know, for those impromptu star sightings downtown.

MJF, did you and/or your parents ever get the photos taken with Gregg and Joe Mayer on the ILL set? The Museum was supposed to send mine as they weren't ready by Sunday afternoon but I haven't received anything yet.

Brock,

Yes we received ours. I think I saw yours on the stack of photos. They may be mailing them out, but check to be sure. My guess would be to ask Sharon (sbergstrom@lucy-desi.com or 717-484-0800 x 201) about it.

MJF

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, whaddaya know, my photo arrived in the mail today without even sending an email! PHEW!

Question for you MJF, did you guys get the traditional cardboard folder to hold your photo?

Cool! :) No I don't think we got the cardboard folders this year. I don't know if they just didn't get to it or if they did that only for those to whom they mailed the photos.

MJF

Archived