Frances Fisher vs. Rachel York

Mot Morenzi

[quote name=DroopyDrawers :D' timestamp='1316145334' post='20835]

I just realized that the 2nd Lucy film came out in what? May 2003? It's already been that long? Haha.

But you and Claude said it all, I agree with your comments exactly.

AND i agree with YOUR beautiful Pic of Lucy in Mame at the bottom of your post, just incredible!

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know! Seems like yesterday I was putting a blank tape in the VCR!

I hope both films see commercial DVD releases one day. I have a laserdisc rip of Before the Laughter and a screener of Lucy, but I'd love to own both officially, too!

Didn't Before the Laughter already come out either in Beta or VHS?

I rewatched the second movie this weekend. This one was more accurate in a lot of details then the first one, but what bugs me is the whole 1950's timeline is messed up. The major events of house moving, studio buying, same set for ILL the whole 50's, communist scare bug me. There is a scene about the communist thing between Lucy and Desi and then in the same conversation they talk about buying RKO. Those events were 5 years apart.

The first movie I watched one time with a notebook and pen to list all the things inaccurate or just plain wrong. I filled 3 pages.

I rewatched the second movie this weekend. This one was more accurate in a lot of details then the first one, but what bugs me is the whole 1950's timeline is messed up. The major events of house moving, studio buying, same set for ILL the whole 50's, communist scare bug me. There is a scene about the communist thing between Lucy and Desi and then in the same conversation they talk about buying RKO. Those events were 5 years apart.

The first movie I watched one time with a notebook and pen to list all the things inaccurate or just plain wrong. I filled 3 pages.

I know, you'd think they would get the script to people who were there or KNOW what happened when and could advise them and make changes before the damned thing airs. Or even films.

Yeah, a lot of the events depicted actually happened, but they did shuffle the timeline quite a bit. There was also the misediting of showing Lucy & Desi buying RKO in 1958, then showing them filming "Lucy's Italian Movie" in 1956!

I know! Seems like yesterday I was putting a blank tape in the VCR!

I hope both films see commercial DVD releases one day. I have a laserdisc rip of Before the Laughter and a screener of Lucy, but I'd love to own both officially, too!

I still remember the day it was on CBS, I was so excited all day to see it. But sadly I was stupid and didn't record it. :( I watched it a couple times on YouTube but it was taken off. At least Before The Laughter is still up, or I at least think it is.

[quote name=DroopyDrawers :D' timestamp='1316504250' post='21237]

I still remember the day it was on CBS, I was so excited all day to see it. But sadly I was stupid and didn't record it. :( I watched it a couple times on YouTube but it was taken off. At least Before The Laughter is still up, or I at least think it is.

Yeah, it is. That's my account :)

I also had the 2003 one uploaded before that account got shut down. Someone else had it up later too but that one's gone now as well.

Haven't you seen the clips from that movie...

Yes, and that's exactly what concerns me. :P

she does it perfectly as she does every role she tackles. Never mind Lucy, she could even do gary.

Fine. Let's do this thing on a budget -- she can play Lucy, Desi, Viv, Bill, Gale, Charles Lane and Mary Wickes and her daughter Mamie Gummer can play Lucie, Desi IV, Keith Thibodeaux, Candy Moore, Jimmy Garrett, Ralph Hart, and the supporting cast of Life with Lucy! :lucythrill:

Yes, and that's exactly what concerns me. :P

Fine. Let's do this thing on a budget -- she can play Lucy, Desi, Viv, Bill, Gale, Charles Lane and Mary Wickes and her daughter Mamie Gummer can play Lucie, Desi IV, Keith Thibodeaux, Candy Moore, Jimmy Garrett, Ralph Hard, and the supporting cast of Life with Lucy! :lucythrill:

Now you're talkin, and the nominees are MERYL STREEP five times in each of the male and female catagories. Ralph HARD? Didn't know you knew him THAT well!

The only thing I have against a Lucy film is to find the perfect person to play each character, like in BTL and Lucy you could tell they didn't put much effort in in my opinion. Also I don't want to see Streep as Lucy. She could definately get the acting down but they look nothing alike, give her Vivian.

[quote name=DroopyDrawers :D' timestamp='1316593337' post='21386]

The only thing I have against a Lucy film is to find the perfect person to play each character, like in BTL and Lucy you could tell they didn't put much effort in in my opinion. Also I don't want to see Streep as Lucy. She could definately get the acting down but they look nothing alike, give her Vivian.

If the make up people can make her look like maggie thatcher or even a friggin Rabbi,, then they can make her look like Lucy.

[quote name=DroopyDrawers :D' timestamp='1316593337' post='21386]

They actually did put a lot of effort into the 2nd one at least. The producers have said on several occasions that if they hadn't found Rachel York, they would've been sunk. True, York may not have been a mirror image of Ball, but I found her performance commendable overall.

I give Frances Fisher a break considering the material she had to work with. Under different circumstances, I think she could've been a stellar Lucy! Maurice Benard....eh, not so much!

Archived