Cher - Guest Programer on TCM!!!

Same here so i missed the CHER interview too, hope Big Street is still showing at Midnight and that we get to see some of Cher there. That whole Bell Expressvue satellite is crap, they said a 9/11 special was going to show on GEOgraphy channel but it was all about these stupid lizards. And the three Raymond eps scheduled on TROP are not the ones scheduled either, do they EVER get anything right at Bell?

While I only saw the intro for Big Street, this had to be a repeat as Robert Osborne was with her and he's been AWOL for months. Hmmm.... I DO hope he's doing okay and will be returning. lucyblah.JPG

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I only saw the intro for Big Street, this had to be a repeat as Robert Osborne was with her and he's been AWOL for months. Hmmm.... I DO hope he's doing okay and will be returning. lucyblah.JPG

This show was taped back in April and yesterday was the first showing - I am sure it will be repeated again - dont they somtimes repeat those guest programmer shows.

[quote name=DroopyDrawers :D' timestamp='1315456300' post='20141]

Luckily I was going through the channels today and seen Follow The Fleet and Big Street on. Watching the Big Street right now, Lucy looks so gorgeous in this film. :)

Not only does she look just incredible but she also gives the performance of her life in the great film.

:marionstrong:

From one of Lucy's 1984 Museum of Broadcasting seminars:

Audience member: Is it true Cher called you when she divorced Sonny and asked your advice?

Lucy: Oh, I had forgotten about that. What did I tell her?

Audience member: You told her to keep working.

Lucy: That was good advice. :lucythrill:

How great is that? Wish i HAD SEEN that show.

Loved watching The Big Street last night on TCM introduced by guest programmer Cher and when she talked about Lucy and meeting her when she was really little and my mom used to do the Lucy shows sometimes. Did not realize that Georgia (her mom) did more than one show. She also went into that famous story about getting Johnny Carson pissed off that time when she and Lucy were at a party at Jack Benny’s house – which I believe took place during the night of the 1968 Presidential Election

Leave it to that pompous ass carson to be a nixon supporter, athletic supporter is more ike it. :lucydisgust:

Yeah, that's what i thought when i heard Osborne was doing it. And i too worry that it's not a vacation but leaving for health reasons, i mean how could he miss a Lucy tribute when he ows his career to her? But he should have taped it in advance, before leaving.

How great is that? Wish i HAD SEEN that show.

Cher had actually talked about that in an interview on Dinah in 1975, she spoke about calling up Lucy for advice when she split with Sonny, as she thought everyone in America was going to hate her for breaking up act and she realized Lucy was in the same situation only 15 years before.

I saw the post-movie Cher interview but missed the beginning. She always speaks so positively of Lucy. I knew her mother was in "Paris Gown" but Cher said she was a bit player in other episodes too. Does anyone know which?

She mentioned being at Lucy's house (during the 50s, I think so Cher would have been about 10) and Rosalind Russell being there, who also attended the filming of "Be a Pal". I wonder if Lucy and Roz remained friends after Roz's cracks about Lucy in "Mame".

Had "Big Street" been a step up in stature and production values, I could see Lucy's performance being Oscar-nomination worthy. The nominees for that year (1942) were Theresa Wright "Pride of the Yankees" Rosalind Russell "My sister Eileen" Kate Hepburn "woman of the Year" Bette Davis "Now Voyager" and the winner Greer Garson "Mrs. Miniver".

And it's too bad for Cher that they no longer make "Bulldog Cement Remover #3" because she could use some on that upper lip!

I saw the post-movie Cher interview but missed the beginning. She always speaks so positively of Lucy. I knew her mother was in "Paris Gown" but Cher said she was a bit player in other episodes too. Does anyone know which?

She mentioned being at Lucy's house (during the 50s, I think so Cher would have been about 10) and Rosalind Russell being there, who also attended the filming of "Be a Pal". I wonder if Lucy and Roz remained friends after Roz's cracks about Lucy in "Mame".

Had "Big Street" been a step up in stature and production values, I could see Lucy's performance being Oscar-nomination worthy. The nominees for that year (1942) were Theresa Wright "Pride of the Yankees" Rosalind Russell "My sister Eileen" Kate Hepburn "woman of the Year" Bette Davis "Now Voyager" and the winner Greer Garson "Mrs. Miniver".

And it's too bad for Cher that they no longer make "Bulldog Cement Remover #3" because she could use some on that upper lip!

I think that's our "bias" talking, that's pretty stiff competition, regardless how "high caliber" the production could have/should have been! Still, I don't think anyone could fault her performance, she obviously gave it her all and it's just a shame this didn't vault her out of the B's and onto the A-list......but then, if that had happened, we may never have known her as Lucy Ricardo and all her subsequent "reincarnations"! Maybe sometimes it's just best not to wonder "what if"!!! :lucyhaha:

Cher's story about the party was pretty disjointed - it suddenly morphed into a Rosalind Russell story, but she went into more detail in her Vanity Fair cover story last year. It was actually at Jack Benny's house during Richard Nixon's second inauguration (which would make it 1972). Lucy would have already been cast as Mame, but not started filming. I don't know how close Lucy and Roz actually were, but Lucy was quoted in Roz's obit. Lucy also paid a visit to the "Auntie Mame" set, but that may have been because of her friendship with director Morton DaCosta.

Ironically, Roz had said that CHER should have done Mame instead of Lucy.

I think that's our "bias" talking, that's pretty stiff competition, regardless how "high caliber" the production could have/should have been! Still, I don't think anyone could fault her performance, she obviously gave it her all and it's just a shame this didn't vault her out of the B's and onto the A-list......but then, if that had happened, we may never have known her as Lucy Ricardo and all her subsequent "reincarnations"! Maybe sometimes it's just best not to wonder "what if"!!! :lucyhaha:

Stiff competition my ass, Lucy's performance was the BEST of that year.

Cher's story about the party was pretty disjointed - it suddenly morphed into a Rosalind Russell story, but she went into more detail in her Vanity Fair cover story last year. It was actually at Jack Benny's house during Richard Nixon's second inauguration (which would make it 1972). Lucy would have already been cast as Mame, but not started filming. I don't know how close Lucy and Roz actually were, but Lucy was quoted in Roz's obit. Lucy also paid a visit to the "Auntie Mame" set, but that may have been because of her friendship with director Morton DaCosta.

Her friendship with Roz might have been helped by both their friendships with Sinatra who adored Roz and helped her out a lot financially over the years, even giving them their biggest anniversary party one time. Roz' ending was much worse than Lucy, but she WAS very well liked in Hollywood. I remember reading about her last years and it made Lucy's seem like a real pip!

And also ironically, almost did, for TV, a la Bette in Gypsy by the same fab producers, Meron & Zadan, who pretty much have the Midas touch when it comes to these productions so it's too bad it didn't come to fruition. I for one would have loved to have seen her take and bet she would have done a fine job!

:peachonthebeach:

And also ironically, almost did, for TV, a la Bette in Gypsy by the same fab producers, Meron & Zadan, who pretty much have the Midas touch when it comes to these productions so it's too bad it didn't come to fruition. I for one would have loved to have seen her take and bet she would have done a fine job!

:peachonthebeach:

Cher was a bit YOUNG for the role, i think Mame should be played by a little old lady who has done and seen everything. The only thing wrong with Mame the movie with Lucy is the lousy direction. And as much as i adore Cher, i think she was wrong for the TV Gypsy also, the old lady in that is big broad and brassy, like Midler, not Cher who is glamorous and sexy.

Cher was a bit YOUNG for the role, i think Mame should be played by a little old lady who has done and seen everything. The only thing wrong with Mame the movie with Lucy is the lousy direction. And as much as i adore Cher, i think she was wrong for the TV Gypsy also, the old lady in that is big broad and brassy, like Midler, not Cher who is glamorous and sexy.

You don't think Cher is big, broad and brassy??? Have you been living under a rock!!?? :marionstrong:

Yes, and Ann-Margaret should have played Rose in "Gypsy" in 1962!

I remember reading this quote. I don't know how she meant it but it sure sounds like a slam to me.

What a catty thing to say if is was and what a ridiculous thing to say if she was serious.

I can see the tagline now:

Irene Ryan IS... Mame!

And the Mame title logo that incorporated "Lucy" would have been "Granny/Mame" and Milton Kribs review would have stated "I simply say Granny is Mame. Mame is Granny."

Irene Ryan died in 1973 but she would have interesting as Mother Burnside although the "you're MORE than I expected" line would have to have been altered. Irene had one last big hurrah on Broadway stopping the show in "Pippin" with "No Time At All". I've heard the audio of the opening night performance and the applause at the end of this number goes on for a good 5 minutes....

And speaking of a great send-off to an old gal, listen to the response Margaret Dumont gets when she enters in this Hollywood Palace clip. Margaret was 83 and collapsed and died a week after this taping--before the show aired. She looks, sounds and acts almost exactly like she did 35 years earlier.

1965:

with bonus footage: Edie Adams for Muriel Cigars!

1930:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h22w6oWMt54

Archived