I Love Lucy - Colorized

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

YES, it does, anybody who saw that beautiful, gorgeous, unbelievably stunning Scottish episode in color yearns to see every show of the best secries ever to air on television in glorious color. And anybody who saw the Holden episode colorized also agrees and every fan of color wants to see Lucy's hair in it's natural state, orange red. AND her antics would be more accepted by the new generation who have never seen anything in black and white the way Lucy's personality was in real life and her character's on the show, C O L O R, C O L O R , C O L O R , ok?

Oh, YOU! You're speaking for yourself, which is fine, but don't state as FACT that EVERYBODY who's seen the Scotland episode (I have) and/or the Holden episode (it was only a few minutes of it, and I saw that too!) agrees and wants every other episode tarnished with the brush that is cockeyed colorization! I don't! The Scotland ep was just okay, it still left a lot to be desired as far as color brightness and accuracy and of course, hair and especially teeth still looked "off"; as for the LA episode, it was cool to see it that way but I think it was more that we were gasping in surprise more than anything because we weren't expecting it, so though we enjoyed it in the moment it's not like it looked great, either!

lucyeww.JPG

Oh, YOU! You're speaking for yourself, which is fine, but don't state as FACT that EVERYBODY who's seen the Scotland episode (I have) and/or the Holden episode (it was only a few minutes of it, and I saw that too!) agrees and wants every other episode tarnished with the brush that is cockeyed colorization! I don't! The Scotland ep was just okay, it still left a lot to be desired as far as color brightness and accuracy and of course, hair and especially teeth still looked "off"; as for the LA episode, it was cool to see it that way but I think it was more that we were gasping in surprise more than anything because we weren't expecting it, so though we enjoyed it in the moment it's not like it looked great, either!

lucyeww.JPG

How did the Holden episode look?

If it was done around the time as the Christmas show, it must've looked awful! I couldn't believe how bad the Christmas segments looked.

The technology has come a looong way since then, but it's far from perfect. There's still a very obvious fakey quality to it.

How did the Holden episode look?

There's still a very obvious fakey quality to it.

Exactly! Well put. It looked okay, like I say it was more the surprise value of it that impressed more than how it looked. Plus, it was projected (on tape, I think back then) on a movie screen so of course it wouldn't look as sharp as something digitally projected does today.

(This was shown at one of the Loving Lucy conventions over 10 years ago so you can imagine the technology was still not what it is now....such as it is!) :D

lucyeww.JPG

Hey, i dun't give a rat's ass if they colorize it or not, i just hated you and Miss Bagley beating me in today's post counts so i hyjacked the thread, which already existed and certainly did not need a reboot, it has already been discussed to death. LOL! How about another thread on gary being her greatest hubby or her starring role in Mame, then maybe i could hit post 31000 by noon tomorrow. LOL!

If colorisation (or is that coloriZation) is done well, then it's great. I have no objection to colorising anything.

One downside was the b/w DVD sets of BEWITCHED and JEANNIE = where these were not taken from the original 35mm prints, but in the case of BEWITCHED were simply the colorised episodes (with 1966 copyrights on BEWITCHED opening credits) with the color turned off - the original season 1 theme music was ever-so slightly different to the later color seasons theme music.

Yes, and I wasn't aware that a thread on this subject already existed. It was quite a few pages in and I somehow overlooked it before starting my new one.

No biggie. It's all in good fun. Besides, it's nice to get a healthy, vigorous (ooh!) discussion or debate going around here, just shows how much we love and care about this stuff....we're never all gonna agree, so may as well talk about it, right?

I'm glad you found our "community" "Viv", and hope you're enjoying being here as much as we enjoy having you here!

:peachonthebeach:

No biggie. It's all in good fun. Besides, it's nice to get a healthy, vigorous (ooh!) discussion or debate going around here, just shows how much we love and care about this stuff....we're never all gonna agree, so may as well talk about it, right?

I'm glad you found our "community" "Viv", and hope you're enjoying being here as much as we enjoy having you here!

D I T T O with a capital Ditt!

Joking aside, what i meant to say is this, i don't care if it comes out in color but would not be a purist to the extent that i would criticize that happening, i say if it comes out in braille too i would always encourage whatever way it comes out as long as it keeps coming out. My favorite film of all time is Citizen Kane and if they wanted to colorize that i wouldn't mind either for the fact that it would bring it a whole new audience that just doesn't like anything in old fashioned black and white, however classic it may be.

Thanks so much, both of you :)

I hate that damn Scotland episode and color didn't help it.. as a matter of fact, I tried watching it the other day and turned the color off because it wasn't working for me...I like seeing Fred and Ethel in the dragon costume in color and in fact their whole scene together I watched in color.. .but turned it off when we went back to Killdoonan(?) I want to see color episodes with that BRAND NEW PONTIAC... and I want to see the "Fashion Show" in color..and color would benefit Lucy's and Ethe's dresses as they march off to let Mrs. Trumbel get a load of them.. and that's pretty much it.. otherwise I don't need it. And if they did colorize the whole season.. we can always adjust our tvs to kill the color.. so who cares if they do it or not??

I'm surprised at all the hate for Drafted. I've read that a lot. I never thought it was that bad. Not the best by a long shot, but not terrible.

At this point, it's more of a jokey thing, it was like all the early episodes, not well written or even acted, but they got their groove shortly thereafter. Everybody has a LEAST favorite episode, the ones i hear the most are Drafted, Mertz and Kurtz and the musical dream one, SCOTLAND.

At this point, it's more of a jokey thing, it was like all the early episodes, not well written or even acted, but they got their groove shortly thereafter. Everybody has a LEAST favorite episode, the ones i hear the most are Drafted, Mertz and Kurtz and the musical dream one, SCOTLAND.

Mertz and Kurtz and Scotland are easily 2 of my least favourite ones. Some of the early ones are quite silly, but they are rather charming. I personally love The Seance despite its ridiculousness.

:lucycoy:

Mertz and Kurtz and Scotland are easily 2 of my least favourite ones. Some of the early ones are quite silly, but they are rather charming. I personally love The Seance despite its ridiculousness.

As far as THE BEST goes, it was with The Fur Coat that i found the characters to finally get their groove and the writers also, it's just a perfect show, in my humble opinion of course. :lucycoy:

I agree completely with VBagley! If anything do a poll for the fans of what episodes we would like to see in color most (most likely Lucy Does a TV Commercial, Lucy's Italian Movie, and Job Switching WILL be among them. Haha.), colorize them, and BAM! put them on DVD and BluRay. The great thing about B&W is that it let's your imagination run wild on what color a certain drape is or particular outfit is but if colorized you don't get that. Plus you get a false interpretation of it. Like how do we or they know the color of Ricky's suit in LA At Last? or Bill's school boy outfit in Lucy Hires an English Tutor? We don't know and I'm sure CBS or anyone do. It sucks we will never get the true color that the audience and crew saw. Now if there were colored episodes of ILL in the CBS vaults bring them out! Honestly if this happens great for money making purposes and for people that can't stand B&W but I don't know I just think they should leave it the way it is. P.S. If they were colorized, trust me, I'd buy them no matter what. Haha.

Archived