I Love Lucy - Colorized

[quote name=DroopyDrawers :D' timestamp='1316148217' post='20837]

I agree completely with VBagley! If anything do a poll for the fans of what episodes we would like to see in color most (most likely Lucy Does a TV Commercial, Lucy's Italian Movie, and Job Switching WILL be among them. Haha.), colorize them, and BAM! put them on DVD and BluRay. The great thing about B&W is that it let's your imagination run wild on what color a certain drape is or particular outfit is but if colorized you don't get that. Plus you get a false interpretation of it. Like how do we or they know the color of Ricky's suit in LA At Last? or Bill's school boy outfit in Lucy Hires an English Tutor? We don't know and I'm sure CBS or anyone do. It sucks we will never get the true color that the audience and crew saw. Now if there were colored episodes of ILL in the CBS vaults bring them out! Honestly if this happens great for money making purposes and for people that can't stand B&W but I don't know I just think they should leave it the way it is. P.S. If they were colorized, trust me, I'd buy them no matter what. Haha.

Oh what a great idea, never thought of that, just bring out the ten best Lucy eps IN COLOR to try it out.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh what a great idea, never thought of that, just bring out the ten best Lucy eps IN COLOR to try it out.

Like if they did, I just wish they would use episodes that would POP in color you know? Like the Scotland episode was great for colorizing because of the variety of colors and also the whole history of them wanting to film it in color in the first place. But I know if they did a select few we'd end up having Lucy Does A Television Commericial, Job Switching, Lucy is Enciente, etc. Nothing that really will pop out at us. Like I'd want to see Lucy Fakes Illness in color, capture when Lucy "turns green" or I'd even like to see Lucy's Italian Movie.

[quote name=DroopyDrawers :D' timestamp='1316505175' post='21245]

Like if they did, I just wish they would use episodes that would POP in color you know? Like the Scotland episode was great for colorizing because of the variety of colors and also the whole history of them wanting to film it in color in the first place. But I know if they did a select few we'd end up having Lucy Does A Television Commericial, Job Switching, Lucy is Enciente, etc. Nothing that really will pop out at us. Like I'd want to see Lucy Fakes Illness in color, capture when Lucy "turns green" or I'd even like to see Lucy's Italian Movie.

Well, the baby DID pop out of her in Lucy is Enceinte. She drank Vitameatavegimin as if it were POP and in Job Switching she was too pooped to pop.

[quote name=DroopyDrawers :D' timestamp='1316505175' post='21245]

I agree, some are better suited to colour than others. "The Tour" would be a nice colour one, as it has all that great outside LA footage.

I agree, some are better suited to colour than others. "The Tour" would be a nice colour one, as it has all that great outside LA footage.

I dunno, as much as I would have loved to see the country house -- at least in the hour long version of the show -- in true color as I think it was the nicest, most "realistic" looking set, I still can't get behind this! :lucyshock:

I dunno, as much as I would have loved to see the country house -- at least in the hour long version of the show -- in true color as I think it was the nicest, most "realistic" looking set, I still can't get behind this! :lucyshock:

Neither can I. Just speaking hypothetically if they WERE going to do it, those are the ones I think they should choose.

Neither can I. Just speaking hypothetically if they WERE going to do it, those are the ones I think they should choose.

Oh for corn sakes, will you just get with the program and let them do it already, LOL! In color and on Blu Ray too, then you'll be floored by how great it looks and wonder why you weren't behind it in the first place, YOU''LL BE SORRY! :peachonthebeach::professor::lucydesi::gasp::ill: You see? All great looking IN COLOR!!!!!

Oh for corn sakes, will you just get with the program and let them do it already, LOL! In color and on Blu Ray too, then you'll be floored by how great it looks and wonder why you weren't behind it in the first place, YOU''LL BE SORRY! :peachonthebeach::professor::lucydesi::gasp::ill: You see? All great looking IN COLOR!!!!!

GAWD! You'd probably like to paint a smile on the Mona Lisa while you're at it! :lucyhorror:

GAWD! You'd probably like to paint a smile on the Mona Lisa while you're at it! :lucyhorror:

Colorizing I Love Lucy is like painting a smile on the Mona Lisa huh? Boy, you certainly are a purist, aren't ya? We're not talking paintings here, we're talking about classics from film and television, and i did not mind them coloring Citizen Kane, the world's greatest film, and i wouldn't mind them doing the same to I Love Lucy, the world's greatest television comedy.

We're not talking paintings here, we're talking about classics from film and television, and i did not mind them coloring Citizen Kane, the world's greatest film, and i wouldn't mind them doing the same to I Love Lucy, the world's greatest television comedy.

Well, EXACTLY, and being a classic -- the MOTHER of all sitcoms, after all they invented the techniques, for gawds sake!!

The fact that you didn't mind "Kane" being tampered with explains so much! :rolleyes:

Well, EXACTLY, and being a classic -- the MOTHER of all sitcoms, after all they invented the techniques, for gawds sake!!

The fact that you didn't mind "Kane" being tampered with explains so much! :rolleyes:

What was it Orson Wells said? "Tell Ted Turner to keep his crayons off my movie!"

Or something like that.

It didn't change anything about the film, it's still the greatest, even in color, and now people who won't watch anything in black and white can see it too. :peachonthebeach::lucythrill::professor::lucysmirk::lucydesi::lucy1::desi1::lucy2::hlLOL:

Jumping into the fray here with my two pennies ... :)

I will always watch I Love Lucy, even if it is never colorized. Have been doing it for years ;) . BUT -- I would love to see it in color, every episode. Color adds a new dimension & increases viewing enjoyment. I was blown away last year when I saw the movie "It's a Wonderful Life" for the first time in color after years of watching it in black & white. I saw things I had never seen before, & I thought I knew that movie inside & out.

One of the reasons I became such a fan of Viv is that after seeing the same ILL episodes over & over, I started watching the other actors, & then the background details. I would LOVE to see the clothing, the furniture, everything, in color, just to add something new to the experience of watching ILL.

Ideally with all the correct original colors, but we all know there is no accurate record of that. Still, if it were done well, I know I would enjoy seeing the gang cavort in color.

Have to disagree with the Lucy book author quoted in the first post: "Humour and colour are incompatible with one another, the palette calls attention to itself instead of the comedy." I believe color does not detract from the comedy, but enhances it. He goes on to say: "... many of Lucy's contemporaries who were filmed in colour do not have her longevity BECAUSE they were filmed in colour." Really? Because they were filmed in color? I think he is reeeeeeally reaching on that point. :)

I can see both sides of this issue, & I won't stop watching ILL if it stays in B&W forever, but I would love to see it in color someday. :D:ill:

Jumping into the fray here with my two pennies ... :)

I will always watch I Love Lucy, even if it is never colorized. Have been doing it for years ;) . BUT -- I would love to see it in color, every episode. Color adds a new dimension & increases viewing enjoyment. I was blown away last year when I saw the movie "It's a Wonderful Life" for the first time in color after years of watching it in black & white. I saw things I had never seen before, & I thought I knew that movie inside & out.

One of the reasons I became such a fan of Viv is that after seeing the same ILL episodes over & over, I started watching the other actors, & then the background details. I would LOVE to see the clothing, the furniture, everything, in color, just to add something new to the experience of watching ILL.

Ideally with all the correct original colors, but we all know there is no accurate record of that. Still, if it were done well, I know I would enjoy seeing the gang cavort in color.

Have to disagree with the Lucy book author quoted in the first post: "Humour and colour are incompatible with one another, the palette calls attention to itself instead of the comedy." I believe color does not detract from the comedy, but enhances it. He goes on to say: "... many of Lucy's contemporaries who were filmed in colour do not have her longevity BECAUSE they were filmed in colour." Really? Because they were filmed in color? I think he is reeeeeeally reaching on that point. :)

I can see both sides of this issue, & I won't stop watching ILL if it stays in B&W forever, but I would love to see it in color someday. :D:ill:

Couldn't have said it better myself, thank you and that author's an idiot, LOL! Great reference book but an idiot nonetheless, LOL! There ya go, my COLORful comments about him still enhanced the comedy in my statement, LOL!

I'm really surprised how many dislike the Scotland episode. I guess it's because the episode was totally off formula. We colorized that episode and Gregg Oppenheimer, son of "I Love Lucy" creator-producer-head writer Jess Oppenheimer, supervised the colorization. The "Lucy Goes to Scotland" episode was apparently one of Desi's favorites. In fact he had the family there for the shooting and took color home movies of the sets, costumes, etc. We were able to use those home movies to produce accurate color throughout. Plaids are not the easiest thing to colorize but the color our designers chose were spot on accurate as is everything else in the episode.

I'm really surprised how many dislike the Scotland episode. I guess it's because the episode was totally off formula. We colorized that episode and Gregg Oppenheimer, son of "I Love Lucy" creator-producer-head writer Jess Oppenheimer, supervised the colorization. The "Lucy Goes to Scotland" episode was apparently one of Desi's favorites. In fact he had the family there for the shooting and took color home movies of the sets, costumes, etc. We were able to use those home movies to produce accurate color throughout. Plaids are not the easiest thing to colorize but the color our designers chose were spot on accurate as is everything else in the episode.

It was absolutely stunning and you should be proud, you did an awesome job, it's the plot of the show we're not too fond of, the dream sequence has never been done exceptionaly well in any sitcom, but the colorizing made it a standout and now i actually enjoy it for the musical numbers and what little comedy there was in it. But the colorizing is what changed my mind about the ep itself. Congratlations on some great work there Sir!

• 1 month later...

Archived