OFFICIAL 5th SEASON "LUCY SHOW" ANNOUNCEMENT!!!

JoeySanJoaquin

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish whoever owned the shows would release the "All Star Parties" for CBS to include on the DVDs. Then we could have not only Lucy's party, but for Season Six The All Star Party for Carol Burnett, etc.

What a great idea, even released as a special DVD, those would be terrific to see again. Kennedy Center Honors too, which always win Emmys as best special and are so well produced. They might not be able to release the Friars Roasts but at least we could see the people arriving for it, interviewed for them and leaving afterwards.

Look at it this way - at least we all know that they will release Season 6! Wonder what special extras will be on Season 6? Any live shows or specials during that period?

I would love to see Lucy's 1967 appearance on Carol Burnett's show: The "The Boys in the Backroom/Belly Up to the Bar" dance hall number. Or any of the musical finales from Carol Burnett shows (but not the sketches)

For 5 consecutive seasons, Carol and Lucy did each other's shows and then this arrangement stopped abruptly. I wonder why. The first year Lucy did Carol's special and then was a guest each of the first four seasons of her show through 70-71. These seasons were co-owned with Bob Banner and that's the reason (I assume) they did not get included in the 1/2 hour syndicated version. Were any of these shows part of the subscription release on the full hours?

I like the first three Carol Burnett Lucy Shows "Roommate" "Palm Springs" "Stewardess School". Although I have reservations about the last one, I forgive it its faults because of the great gag of the projector spewing out film and Lucy fighting her way upstream. I don't like any of the others starting with "Stewardess School Graduation" (there is such a thing?) Even though the "Secretary Beautiful" script is awful, the concept is funny and it's better than those put-on-a-show shows. I like a well-executed (and un-dubbed) musical show but these are SOOO simple-minded. (And I must get this off my chest at least once a year...): Were they trying to tell us that 1) this Los Angeles high school had NO GYM?!! and 2) this elaborately staged show--even with Carol Burnett--could raise enough money to build one?!

I like the first three Carol Burnett Lucy Shows "Roommate" "Palm Springs" "Stewardess School". Although I have reservations about the last one, I forgive it its faults because of the great gag of the projector spewing out film and Lucy fighting her way upstream. I don't like any of the others starting with "Stewardess School Graduation" (there is such a thing?) Even though the "Secretary Beautiful" script is awful, the concept is funny and it's better than those put-on-a-show shows. I like a well-executed (and un-dubbed) musical show but these are SOOO simple-minded. (And I must get this off my chest at least once a year...): Were they trying to tell us that 1) this Los Angeles high school had NO GYM?!! and 2) this elaborately staged show--even with Carol Burnett--could raise enough money to build one?!

Neil, you're expecting logical scripts that make sense again, you have to stop doing that, LOL!

I'd also love more interviews with surviving co-stars and guest stars. Ruta Lee and Doris Singleton would be great candidates for that. It'd also be nice to hear from Candy Moore and Ralph Hart, but seeing as how they weren't interviewed for the seasons in which they appeared, they must be uninterested or unavailable.

YES YES YES!! I wanna see a Candy Moore and my gorgeous Ralph Hart interviews, though I'm tipping he might not be as gorgeous as I think.............NOW LOL! :lucythrill:

Bootiful people seldom age well you know!

Well, he was still hot and handsome ten years or so ago at the convention where he came only in honor of Viv, otherwise he didn't want much to do with it but...that was ten yours ago. Candy's been interviewed for another project but nothing's come of that -- yet -- last I'd heard.

Just saw Jimmy at the recent Hollywood Museum ceremony that Lucie & Larry showed up for, looks the same as he has for years except I think he's gained even more weight which must be difficult because he is not only running after one little girl but now TWO of them and boy, can they move!

Adorable! :lucyhaha:

Well, he was still hot and handsome ten years or so ago at the convention where he came only in honor of Viv, otherwise he didn't want much to do with it but...that was ten yours ago. Candy's been interviewed for another project but nothing's come of that -- yet -- last I'd heard.

Just saw Jimmy at the recent Hollywood Museum ceremony that Lucie & Larry showed up for, looks the same as he has for years except I think he's gained even more weight which must be difficult because he is not only running after one little girl but now TWO of them and boy, can they move!

Maybe the bigger girl of his three in that house is making food that's just too damned good to resist? :lucythrill::lucyhaha:

(And I must get this off my chest at least once a year...): Were they trying to tell us that 1) this Los Angeles high school had NO GYM?!! and 2) this elaborately staged show--even with Carol Burnett--could raise enough money to build one?!

Neil, you're expecting logical scripts that make sense again, you have to stop doing that, LOL!

I don't think so. If the comedy is good enough I can overlook a lot of things. For instance, I can accept the following:

-that the "closet in the boys' room" is a logical place to put a shower

-that Viv decided to build a fire in the fireplace (that they don't have) with Lucy still on the rook with the antenna

-and that it wasn't REALLY necessary for Lucy to wear the ENTIRE kangaroo outfit including the ears...and the hands were obviously gloves that she could have taken off to eat her onion soup, but the scene is so great, I can close one eye.

BUT when the show is only marginally funny to begin with and then they ask you to close both eyes and wear dark glasses, I must PROTEST!

And sometimes even a good show is marred by some glaring incongruity. Lucy comedy works best when she REALLY has no other choice than to do what she does.

For 5 consecutive seasons, Carol and Lucy did each other's shows and then this arrangement stopped abruptly. I wonder why. The first year Lucy did Carol's special and then was a guest each of the first four seasons of her show through 70-71. These seasons were co-owned with Bob Banner and that's the reason (I assume) they did not get included in the 1/2 hour syndicated version.

Does anyone have any inside scoop on who Banner's rights went to after his recent death?

(And I must get this off my chest at least once a year...): Were they trying to tell us that 1) this Los Angeles high school had NO GYM?!!

YES! They had no gymnasium... :lucythrill: (and they even put it in song in case you didn't believe them. ;) )

For instance, I can accept the following:

-that the "closet in the boys' room" is a logical place to put a shower

See, I don't find that particularly unusual. When my dad moved into a house built in 1836 he decided to build the shower for my brother and me in the MIDDLE of the laundry room, so in order to get to the washing machine you had to walk around either side of the stall. lol

-and that it wasn't REALLY necessary for Lucy to wear the ENTIRE kangaroo outfit including the ears...and the hands were obviously gloves that she could have taken off to eat her onion soup, but the scene is so great, I can close one eye.

Come now. If she wore the kangaroo outfit WITHOUT the gloves that would just make her conspicuous.

-that Viv decided to build a fire in the fireplace (that they don't have) with Lucy still on the rook with the antenna

And sometimes even a good show is marred by some glaring incongruity. Lucy comedy works best when she REALLY has no other choice than to do what she does.

Perhaps the fireplace was on the "fourth wall" we never saw? Just sayin'....after all, there was a chimney! (But I get your point: it always bugged me that on the interior of The Partridge Family house/living room, for example, the fireplace is on the same wall as the front door. But when you see the same walls from the outside, the fireplace is on a different wall! Goofy, huh? Funny some set designer/decorator or director didn't catch it right off the bat!)

Love that statement (re: no choice): It's so true! :D

Does Ralph not look back fondly on the show?

I think he has fond memories of the show, but feels like he's moved on with his life and doesn't want to dwell on the past. I believe Ralph participated in both the 1997 and 1998 Loving Lucy conventions. Here's a photo of Ralph (on the left) and Jimmy at the 1997 convention:

ralph_jim.gif

(Photo from Glen Charlow's Lucy Convention highlight page)

I think he has fond memories of the show, but feels like he's moved on with his life and doesn't want to dwell on the past. I believe Ralph participated in both the 1997 and 1998 Loving Lucy conventions. Here's a photo of Ralph (on the left) and Jimmy at the 1997 convention:

ralph_jim.gif

(Photo from Glen Charlow's Lucy Convention highlight page)

Oh my, i take it back, some good looking people DO age very well.

I'd also love more interviews with surviving co-stars and guest stars. Ruta Lee and Doris Singleton would be great candidates for that. It'd also be nice to hear from Candy Moore and Ralph Hart, but seeing as how they weren't interviewed for the seasons in which they appeared, they must be uninterested or unavailable.

They should do that!! I would love to see interviews with co-stars that are still around

Ralph has very fond memories of the show and Vivian Vance who treated him very motherly and advised his mother to consider getting Ralph out of show business--which she did and Ralph thanks Vivian for it to this day (1997 anyway). Ralph appeared in "Whatever Happened to Baby jane?" as the little boy who in the flashback sequence presents Jane with a doll onstage; and an even better role in "The Music Man" (the most successful screen musical adaption of a Broadway show ever made IMO). No lines that I remember but extensive dancing. Both of these were 1962 releases.

1998 was the one year I did not attend the convention but by all reports Candy was still gorgeous and also had fond memories of the show.....So I don't know why they would have turned down DVD interview requests. Candy did talk about how shocked she was that they were written out of what was a hit show.

I can't think of another HIT show that was tinkered with so much as TLS. (Only "Doris Day" rivals the premise changes but it doesn't really quality as a hit). I think the changes in TLS had less to do with an overall plan as it did with the change of staff between seasons 2 and 3, the staff for the latter not really knowing what to do with the characters; and of course Viv leaving between 3 and 4. Left with two series regulars there had to be some way to get them together for the weekly plot, so Lucy becomes his secretary. A bank is just NOT a fun place. Wouldn't another work setting have been more conducive to entertaining plots? Since they wanted to rely on musical finales why not have Mooney the banker foreclose on a fledgling TV station and take over the ownership with Lucy as a self-appointed talent scout?

I think they made the most of the bank setting, but it certainly worked better when Lucy was only a customer and not an employee.

Anywho, cannot wait to see the 5th season gloriously restored. Its actually been several years since I've seen these episodes, trying to decide if I want to pull out one of my public domain sets or just wait until December. And the chance to FINALLY see Lucy In London...HOLY WOW, BATMAN!

I think they made the most of the bank setting, but it certainly worked better when Lucy was only a customer and not an employee.

Anywho, cannot wait to see the 5th season gloriously restored. Its actually been several years since I've seen these episodes, trying to decide if I want to pull out one of my public domain sets or just wait until December. And the chance to FINALLY see Lucy In London...HOLY WOW, BATMAN!

Yes, seeing as most of us already have the public domain eps of this season, not to mention copies of all the shows of that series in some cases, the Lucy in London special will definitely be the highlight and reason to purchase. :lucy2::lucy2::lucy2::lucy2::lucy2:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I hope someone gets ahold of the back cover art. Apart from season 1, I think CBS has been a little lacking with the rear artwork for the Lucy Show sets, which is forgiveable considering the excellent front covers they've done.

Well, make up your mind, are they being GOOD or BAD? LOL! I just read your location as MAME instead of Maine, that means you're really close to me, if you ever get to Montreal, i offer tour services for free for Lucy fans.

Archived