Lucille Ball Museum Damaged in High-Speed Crash??

Mmadluv7

http://blogs.artinfo.com/artintheair/2013/03/26/drunk-driver-damages-lucille-ball-museum-in-high-speed-airborne-crash/

lucille-ball-museum-crash.jpg

Very early Sunday morning Leshawn T. Kimbrough, 22, was driving drunk and speeding through Jamestown, New York, when he lost control of his vehicle, which,

according to WIVB4, “went airborne” and hit another vehicle, which in turn struck a parked car at the intersection of West 3rd Street and Mechanics Alley. The calamitous chain reaction knocked over a pole holding up the awning of the Lucille Ball Desi Arnaz Museum (pictured).

Though Kimbrough attempted to flee the scene of the 1:30am crash on foot, residents of Jamestown — Ball’s hometown, hence its

Lucy Desi Comedy Center and Lucille Ball Desi Arnaz Museum — who witnessed the crash were able to point Jamestown Police in the correct direction, and he was apprehended a short while later. Kimbrough, who was uncooperative while in custody and initially gave a fake name and spat in a jail officer’s face, according to WIVB4, “was charged with DWI, reckless endangerment, criminal mischief, criminal impersonation, in addition to vehicle and traffic offenses.”

The Lucille Ball Desi Arnaz Museum, which opened in Jamestown in 1996, features costumes, awards, photographs, memorabilia, and other ephemera pertaining to the “first couple of comedy.” The museum also includes archival audio recordings of Ball’s childhood friends remembering her Jamestown upbringing.

— Benjamin Sutton

HOLY TOLEDO! I had to go back and check my newspapers (thankfully are only picked up every two weeks by re-cyclers) - for 'this story' - this story was on page one of the TUESDAY, Post-Journal:

"Jamestown Man Charged for Reckless Driving - by Eric Tichy - "A Jamestown man speeding downtown early Sunday caused a two-car accident, then left the scene, city police said. Leshawn T. Kimbrough, (small photo of HIM), 22, has been cited for numerous charges, including driving while intoxicated, reckless endangerment and giving police a fake name. 'Any time of day this would be considered reckless and extremely dangerous,' said (officer's name)." (see RECKLESS, page A3) - this entire first column, 4-inch 'blurb' did not even get my reading attention!!!! - This is nearly a daily event - downtown Jamestown. Provides excitement for the passers-by, donchano!

I did not give this ANY reading until YOUR posting!!!!! I do thank you for it....

Page A3, gives: as Paul Harvey would say, 'the rest of the story' - NO PHOTOS!!!!

(obviously, did not read that either, until your POSTING!!!! thanks again!)

Refer back to the news photo in your posting - THAT IS THE NEW PETERS' ARTWORK ON ANOTHER AND SEPARATE BUILDING FROM THE MUSEUM CORNER OF THIRD AND ALLEY: JUST FOR YOUR REFERENCE.

Page 3A - RECKLESS - "This occurred at that time of the morning when people are coming out of the bars and going home or somewhere else." Officers were alerted around 2 a.m. of a motor vehicle accident in the area of W 3rd St and Mechanics Alley. Police said Kimbrough was speeding in the alley and failed to stop at W 3rd St Kimbrought's (car) went airborne at the intersectioin and struck another vehicle. A parked car was then struck in the accident. A pole supporting an awning at the Lucy-Desi Museum also was struck, causing minor damage. A spokeswoman at the museum said the pole's base was sheered off, and repairs would be needed. Police said Kimbrought exited his vehicle after the accident and left the scene. 'He was located a short time later, thanks to a witness who provided a description, and was taken into custody.' No injuries were reported. [few words of wisdom by an officer of law who this poster does not recognize as too intelligent, having known him since he was an ill-acting child] On to say by P-J, 'Kimbrough was charged.....and while in custody, allegedly spit in the jail officer's face'. He was arraigned and remanded to County Jail."

So, in a nutshell, had you not posted this item, I would NEVER have known.

Archived