Chronology addendum

leenorman

I've added - this date:

The Post-Journal, Jamestown NY - Information Center - In Years Past - 75 years ago - “In 1937, Lucille Ball, Jamestown's own movie actress, who recently paid a brief visit to this city, would appear in the RKO picture, Don't Tell The Wife, in which Guy Kibbee, Una Merkel, Thurston Hall and Lynne Overman also appeared. The picture would be showing at Shea's Theater starting March 21. Lucille Ball and Una Merkel were said to be particularly charming in the modern winter costumes worn. Her friends and citizens generally who took pride in the success of Miss Ball on the screen would be interested to see her in the rollicking screenplay,” published this date in 2012.

• 3 months later...

Hi Joyce,

I came across this Lucy reference in the June/July 2012 AARP magazine in the Family & Friends section. (I ripped out the page, & now see there are no page numbers on either side. I double checked the table of contents & it is not listed there, probably because it is a small half page article.)

The reference is in the first paragraph B) .

"Forge a Fantastic Foursome: How making friends with other couples can help your marriage.

Lucy and Ricky were close pals with Fred and Ethel on the TV show I Love Lucy. Now we know they were on to something: Being friends with other couples can improve your relationship, report the authors of the new book Two Plus Two: Couples and Their Couple Friendships."

Hi Joyce,

I came across this Lucy reference in the June/July 2012 AARP magazine in the Family & Friends section. (I ripped out the page, & now see there are no page numbers on either side. I double checked the table of contents & it is not listed there, probably because it is a small half page article.)

The reference is in the first paragraph B) .

"Forge a Fantastic Foursome: How making friends with other couples can help your marriage.

Lucy and Ricky were close pals with Fred and Ethel on the TV show I Love Lucy. Now we know they were on to something: Being friends with other couples can improve your relationship, report the authors of the new book Two Plus Two: Couples and Their Couple Friendships."

Thanks 1,000,000! Keep on submitting these things to me. It surely will add to the chronology. I appreciate it very much....Love, JK

• 3 months later...

Hi Joyce! I just read this Dear Abby column online -- note the I Love Lucy reference in the "PS" at the very end :) .

10/05/2012:DEAR ABBY: Your column has been a fixture in my life. Thank you for the smiles and the tears.

My dilemma: I received yet another invitation to someone's home for a "product party." In the past year, I have been considered a prospective buyer of cookware, candles, makeup, toys and vitamins. While I have at times used all these products, the invitations to sales parties that come from friends and sometimes friends of friends, irritate me.

When I phone to decline, the hostess invariably says, "Oh, you don't have to buy anything." Of course that's not exactly entirely true because it's a sales party, and "guests" are pressured in various ways to buy the product. People often buy things they don't need or want because they fear they'd be disloyal to the hostess if they didn't.

When I was growing up, my father said, "You don't invite friends to your house to sell them things." Maybe Dad was on to something.

Abby, how should unwanted invitations be handled? -- IRKED IN INDIANA

DEAR IRKED: Continue to decline the invitations. Tell the hostess you have "a conflict" and cannot change your plans. (You don't have to give any details.)

P.S. To ease your conscience, your "conflict" can be your plan to watch your favorite "I Love Lucy" rerun on TV.

Hi Joyce! I just read this Dear Abby column online -- note the I Love Lucy reference in the "PS" at the very end :) .

10/05/2012:DEAR ABBY: Your column has been a fixture in my life. Thank you for the smiles and the tears.

My dilemma: I received yet another invitation to someone's home for a "product party." In the past year, I have been considered a prospective buyer of cookware, candles, makeup, toys and vitamins. While I have at times used all these products, the invitations to sales parties that come from friends and sometimes friends of friends, irritate me.

When I phone to decline, the hostess invariably says, "Oh, you don't have to buy anything." Of course that's not exactly entirely true because it's a sales party, and "guests" are pressured in various ways to buy the product. People often buy things they don't need or want because they fear they'd be disloyal to the hostess if they didn't.

When I was growing up, my father said, "You don't invite friends to your house to sell them things." Maybe Dad was on to something.

Abby, how should unwanted invitations be handled? -- IRKED IN INDIANA

DEAR IRKED: Continue to decline the invitations. Tell the hostess you have "a conflict" and cannot change your plans. (You don't have to give any details.)

P.S. To ease your conscience, your "conflict" can be your plan to watch your favorite "I Love Lucy" rerun on TV.

Again, many thanks - keep watching and reading ... loving it. JK

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Joyce,

These Lucy references keep finding me! :lucyhaha:

You can thank my husband for this one: he borrowed a “Reminisce Extra” magazine for me because Lucy was on the cover. It’s the May 2012 issue. (Sorry I’m relaying this five months later, but he just found this magazine in his doctors waiting room! :) ). The picture is in color & she fills the whole cover. It is the exact picture that is on the cover of Michael’s Karol’s “Lucy A to Z” book, where she is sitting & has on the dark top & multi-colored striped skirt. The only print on this cover is to the left of her picture, & it says “Living Color” in large letters. Underneath that is: “Lucille Ball leads an all-star cast in a new exhibit of color portraits from the ‘30s, ‘40s, and ‘50s. Page 4”

On page 4, underneath a column titled “From the editor”, is a picture of (from left to right) George Burns, a large camera on a tripod, photographer Harry Warnecke & Gracie Allen.

The column says:

“Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead.” That line, from the most famous redhead of them all, Lucille Ball, could be the caption for our cover photo. New York Daily News photographer Harry Warnecke (that’s him, above, in 1937, shooting George Burns while Gracie Allen looks on) put Lucy before his color camera in 1944. I’m sure you’ll agree that the photo he created, which is part of a terrific new exhibit at the Smithsonian’s National Portrait Gallery, is a captivating – and surprising – look at one of the world’s most recognizable faces.

Lucy’s movie career was humming in 1944: she was coming off a pair of box-office winners: 1942’s The Big Street, opposite Henry Fonda, and 1943’s Du Barry Was a Lady, alongside Red Skelton and Gene Kelly. But her life off-screen wasn’t quite so rosy. In September of 1944, she filed for divorce from Desi Arnaz, to whom she’d been married, tempestuously, since 1940. Just one day before the union was officially dissolved, the couple decided to reconcile.

I Love Lucy; I don’t know anyone who doesn’t. I love her in black and white, stomping grapes or spooning Vitameatavegamin. But the face she revealed to Harry Warnecke wasn’t that of an actress or a beloved comedienne, but of a real, full-color woman. And for that unguarded moment, I love this gorgeous redhead even more.

Matt Phenix, editor

If you’re in the nation’s capital this summer, “In Vibrant Color: Vintage Celebrity Portraits from the Harry Warnecke Studio” runs through September 9 at the Smithsonian’s National Portrait Gallery. Admission is free. For more information, visit npg.si.edu or call 202-633-8300.

Hi Joyce,

These Lucy references keep finding me! :lucyhaha:

Once again, viv, you and your family are greatly assisting me in my passion for 'all things regarding Lucille and company' - I truly appreciate your efforts in helping me reach my goal of a truly-historical 'diary' document.

Even when published, I plan to work toward adding, as Michael Karol does, in his 'next editions'....

Keep reading....Love, JK

• 2 months later...

Hi Joyce :)

Two Lucy references for you -- one is vague & the other is in print. The vague one: My husband was watching the Rose Parade on Jan1st & about halfway through one of the female hosts commented on a float where a woman (or several women?) had a large headress on. She said something about how that reminded her of an I Love Lucy episode, where Lucy's headdress is too big & heavy. I grilled my hubby (heehee) for more specific information for you but he told me this yesterday & couldn't remember specific details.

And in the Jan 7-13, 2013 TV Guide on p 4, in the Editor's Letter column:

"It all started with Little Ricky, also know as Desiderio Alberto Arnaz IV, the newborn who graced the first cover of TV Guide Magazine (with mom Lucille Ball beaming goofily from an inset photo). Inside the issue dated April 3-9, 1953, we pondered what his birth meant for I Love Lucy, the hottest sitcom on TV.

More than 3,000 issues later, we're celebrating our 60th anniversary. And don't we look great for our age?

We'll be commemorating this milestone all year long by running interviews, essays, photo galleries and other special features that look back on our extraordinary legacy -- and look forward to our next 60 years. Every 2013 issue will feature exclusive content, drawing from our rich archives and unprecedented access; this week, Tom Selleck shares his memories about some of his greatest covers.

From color to cable to VCRs to time shifting, television never stops evolving, and TV Guide Magazinbe has been through it all, providing breaking news, authoritative reviews and iconic covers (Lucy appeared on a record 28!) that drive the conversation.

Happy 60th, Little Ricky! And happy anniversary to us.

Debra Birnbaum

President/Editor-in-Chief

• 1 month later...

Hi Joyce,

What fun to turn a page in my February 2013 issue of Good Housekeeping magazine today & find a picture of Fred & Ethel staring back at me! :)

Page 105 is entitled: The Other Half: Men, Marriage and Making It Work. In the upper right column it says Secret Love Strategy. Below that it says Find a Fred & Ethel. Underneath that are pictures of Ethel & Fred's smiling faces against a pink heart background. The paragraph below it says:

"Double dates add spice to your bond, says Kathleen Holtz Deal, Ph.D., coauthor of Two Plus Two , a book about couple friendships. Seeing another pair negotiate universal battles (Iin-law issues, spending habits) provides a yardstick for you and your husband, she found in her research. And hanging out in a group helps you appreciate qualities in your guy that you may have stopped noticing, like his generosity or quick wit. So add a Fred and an Ethel to your Lucy-and-Ricky routine. You'll turn up the fun -- and the heat -- in your twosome. ---Marnie Soman

As always, you are right there when I needed an entry for 3/1: Then, of course, sadly, we had Bonnie Franklin passing; so, two entries for the first of March. I appreciate you taking the time to do this for the chronology; the Lucy Lounge has been a treasure for me; so much knowledge about Lucille and company. I just love it.

Keep 'em coming, please Love, JK

• 2 weeks later...

Hi JK -- a small Lucy mention in the March 18-24, 2013 issue of TV Guide. As they continue celebrating their 60th anniversary, page 12 lists "Matches Made in Heaven: The 60 Sexiest Couples of All Time" by Elizabeth Wagmeister. The Top 10 take up 3/4 of the page, but Ricky & Lucy are listed in "The Other 50 (Alphabetically by Show)" section.

I thought it was a nice change that Ricky's name appeared first instead of Lucy, until I realized that the men were listed first in all the entries. Their entry in the list looks like this:

Ricky and Lucy (I Love Lucy)

I hope the editing process is going well for you :) .

• 1 month later...

Hi Joyce,

Another small mention in TV Guide Magazine, April 22-May 5, 2013 issue, pp 20 & 21.

The title of the article is "Supreme Themes". Subtitle is "The 60 Greatest Title Songs of All Time".

It didn't make the Top 10, but I Love Lucy is listed in "The Other 50 (Alphabetically)".

Hugs,

Viv

Hi Joyce,

The reference is in the first paragraph cool.gif .

Thanks, viv; you are of great assistance in getting things I would not have access to; I appreciate it SO MUCH! Love, JK

• 2 weeks later...

Jamestown NY was, at the turn of the last century, nearly the world's furniture capital; of the country, at least; if not the world, remaining so for over 70 years: I've added this to the chronology this date; the article being given to me last evening by a couple of brothers, who worked there, with their other two brothers:

The Post Journal, Jamestown NY – The Jamestown Royal Furniture Company factory was built 'to order' in 1913 - There's A Feeling Of Satisfaction When You Get Done - [Res. Four Cockshott brothers worked in the factory, two of whom, Edward and Bruce, submitted this article to me, 5/1/13] - The Company was started by a group of upholsterers as early as the 1890's; bought outright in 1913 by Frederick Nelson; who, in the 1920's took on partners, brothers, Earl and Carl Hultquist. The three owned and operated Jamestown Royal until 1962; when purchased by the Leslie Johnson family, who owned it until 1986, when yet another Johnson, the son, purchased it from Ruth, his mother. Desi Arnaz and Lucille Ball made their home look swell with furnishings from Jamestown Royal, including a photo of the couple of their living room surrounded by furniture made in Jamestown and shipped to them in California in the 1950's,” published this date in 1987.

[since it is an 'oldy', I'll try to tuck it in my sachel when LucyFest occurs this year....ask me to see it....]

Joyce, I love that Lucy & Desi had furniture from her hometown shipped to use in their California home! B)

I found another small mention in TV Guide magazine, as they continue celebrating their 60th anniversary. This is from the May 6-19, 2013 issue, p16.

"60 Greatest Finales: End Games"

THAT'S A WRAP! The stakes are rarely higher for a TV series than at the end of a season -- whether it's signing off until next fall with a climactic grand gesture or taking a well-earned final bow. We hate goodbyes, except when they're done this well. -- Matt Roush

(Lucy didn't make the top 10, but was listed alphabetically under the following heading):

The Other Top 50 Finales

I LOVE LUCY "Return Home From Europe," Season 5 finale (1956)

Viv: These are wonderful tidbits; and I love, love, love, these types of things for the chonrology; makes it more human donchano! I THANK YOU for them; and keep them coming; If this one sells, we can have a second edition.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Joyce. I was tickled to find THREE Lucy mentions in magazines today! (For your 2nd edition :))

The first two come from TV Guide magazine, the May 20-June 2, 2013 issue. Next to a large picture of Lucy from the waist up surrounded by knives & popped balloons (from the “Lucy Tells the Truth” episode), on page 22, written by Matt Roush, is :

“No Joke! Here are the 60 greatest comedies of all time.

1 I Love Lucy (1951-57) By now, we’ve gone beyond mere love. We’re talking adoration. The timeless, pioneering show created the model for the most classic form of theatrical TV sitcom and brought us the wacky redhead, her bandleader husband and their long-suffering neighbors – all as potently funny as a bottle of Vitameatavegamin.”

The second mention is in a full page ad on page 37 of the same issue. At the top of the page it says: “FOR YOUR EMMY CONSIDERATION”. At the bottom of the page it says: “the BIG BANG THEORY”. Underneath that it says: “OUTSTANDING COMEDY SERIES”. In between the writing at the top & bottom is a large picture of the cast of this series. Near the bottom of the picture on the right hand side is this:

“ …[The Big Bang Theory] has just hit that magical, elusive sweet spot nailed by only a handful of sitcoms, the rarefied likes of I Love Lucy, M*A*S*H, The Cosby Show and Seinfield.” – NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

The third Lucy mention is in the April 2013 issue (I’m behind on my reading again :) ) of Good Housekeeping magazine, p.108. The original article (which begins on page 105) is about the authors experience in dealing with her breast cancer diagnosis & is titled : “How to Be a Friend to a Friend Who’s Sick” by Letty Cottin Pogrebin. In an additional section after the article, written by the same author, is: “The Perfect Get-Well Present”. Underneath a small picture of Lucy & Ricky (from “The Business Manager” episode, where Ricky is trying to coax her little small voice to speak) is the following:

“The Gift of Humor: That old chestnut, “Laughter is the best medicine” ain’t all hype. Robin Dunbar, an evolutionary psychologist at Oxford University, has found that laughing triggers the production of endorphins, feel-good chemicals that increase our resistance to pain. Indeed, my feel-good meter spiked when a friend sent me a cartoon of a man looking quizzically at a woman whose breasts are jutting out of her chest in the flattened shape of two horizontal Ping-Pong paddles. “Yes, I did have my mammogram today,” says the woman. “Why do you ask?” If your friend has no stamina for an outing, stay in and pump up her endorphins by watching old episodes of I Love Lucy, The Marx Brothers, or nonstop Comedy Central – all perfect for a friend who has a sense of humor but not enough reasons to laugh.”

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Joyce :) ! Another Lucy mention in TV Guide magazine, the June 3 - 9, 2013 issue, p57.

Entertainment Tonight has a full page ad entitled "ET Hollywood Honors: 60 Years of Television". Below that it says; "In honor of our 60th anniversary, Entertainment Tonight's reporters hit the red carpet to ask stars: 'What is your favorite TV moment of all time?'"

Below that are two columns with 4 individual answers in each column, with a picture of the actor/actress to the left of their answer. The first reply in the left column is:

"I think the first thing that pops into my mind is Lucille Ball [in 'Lucy Does a TV Commercial'] with vitameatavegamin -- where she says it like that." Gloria Reuben (ER 1995-2008, Law & Order: SVU 2002 - 2011)

Hi Joyce :) ! Another Lucy mention in TV Guide magazine, the June 3 - 9, 2013 issue, p57.

Entertainment Tonight has a full page ad entitled "ET Hollywood Honors: 60 Years of Television". Below that it says; "In honor of our 60th anniversary, Entertainment Tonight's reporters hit the red carpet to ask stars: 'What is your favorite TV moment of all time?'"

Below that are two columns with 4 individual answers in each column, with a picture of the actor/actress to the left of their answer. The first reply in the left column is:

"I think the first thing that pops into my mind is Lucille Ball [in 'Lucy Does a TV Commercial'] with vitameatavegamin -- where she says it like that." Gloria Reuben (ER 1995-2008, Law & Order: SVU 2002 - 2011)

Thanks, viv; you are the BEST! I appreciate you relaying these things to me; I rarely have access to magazines; and/or time to research them anymore while I am in the editing process. I am now getting WEEKLY calls from Publisher wanting information on the manuscript. I gotta get cracking; up to October, so far....Loving you, JK

Hi Joyce! TV Guide comes through again ... :) . From the June 10 -16, 2013 issue, pp16-17. "To Surname, With Love: The 60 greatest TV families of all time". While they did not make it into the top 10, there is a list called "The Other 50 (Alphabetically)". In that list is: "The Ricardos (I Love Lucy)"

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Joyce :) ! A small mention in TV Guide Magazine again, the July 1-14, 2013 issue, p 29. There is a full page article about a new show on TNT called King & Maxwell about two private investigators, played by Jon Tenney & Rebecca Romijn. There is a picture at the top right of the page of the two, with this quote: "There could be a bit of a Ricky-Lucy thing between Sean and Michelle." Tenney says.

Archived