Chronology addendum

leenorman

Hi Joyce :) ! A small mention in TV Guide Magazine again, the July 1-14, 2013 issue, p 29. There is a full page article about a new show on TNT called King & Maxwell about two private investigators, played by Jon Tenney & Rebecca Romijn. There is a picture at the top right of the page of the two, with this quote: "There could be a bit of a Ricky-Lucy thing between Sean and Michelle." Tenney says.

Certainly appreciate your 'fast eye', girl; hoping all is well with you and yours. Love, JK

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Joyce :) . This article was the first thing I saw when I got online today:

From HuffPost TV, July 26, 2013. (No author is listed for this article)

'I Love Lucy,' 'Lucy Is Enceinte' More Than 60 Years Later And More Talked About TV Pregnancies

Today, pregnancies (particularly those of the unexpected variety) are one of the most popular TV tropes. You'd be hard-pressed to find a show that didn't use a baby as a catalyst for more storylines and scandal. But there was a time when you couldn't even use the "p" word on TV.

More than 60 years ago, CBS aired "Lucy is Enceinte," the Season 2 episode of "I Love Lucy" in which Lucy (Lucille Ball) and Ricky (Desi Arnaz) find out they're going to have a baby. The episode, which aired on Dec. 8, 1952, made Lucy TV's first pregnant character, but the script didn't use the word "pregnant" once.

"'Lucy Is Enceinte' was scandalous at the time, at least in the eyes of the CBS executives who balked at the idea of its star -- who slept in a twin bed next to her husband onscreen -- actually acknowledging and openly displaying the biological consequences of S-E-X," AV Club editor Genevieve Koski said in the site's extensive look back at the episode. "The script for 'Lucy Is Enceinte' famously had to dance around saying the word 'pregnant,' a term CBS deemed too vulgar for air, hence the French word for pregnancy in the episode title."

When Ball learned in the spring of 1952 that she was pregnant, she and Arnaz assumed that "I Love Lucy" would be suspended or even canceled entirely. But "I Love Lucy" producer and head writer Jess Oppenheimer made the game-changing suggestion that the pregnancy be written into the show. Executives from CBS, Biow Advertizing Agency, and Philip Morris Cigarettes ("I Love Lucy’s" sponsor at the time) initially opposed the idea, reportedly calling for a priest, a minister, and a rabbi to approve each of the “Lucy Is Enceinte” scripts before they would concede.

Though scandalous, the storyline ended up being a smashing success: When Little Ricky was born on "I Love Lucy" on January 19, 1953 -- coinciding with Ball's real-life delivery of Desi Arnaz Jr. via scheduled Caesarean section -- more than 44 million viewers tuned in.

Lucy may have been the first pregnant woman on TV, but she's hardly the last. From "Murphy Brown's" scandalous decision to some of the more "Modern" baby-making approaches, click through to see more of the most talked about pregnancies in the history of the small screen.

Here's the link to the article which has a video clip: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/25/i-love-lucy-lucy-is-enceinte_n_3652507.html?1374767392&icid=maing-grid7%7Chtmlws-main-bb%7Cdl7%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D349466

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Joyce :) ! As Harry mentioned recently in another thread, Lucy giving birth to Little Ricky was the # 1 TV moment according to TV Guide magazine (August 12-25, 2013 issue). There were two other small mentions in the same issue. Here’s the scoop:

P 16 Stunning Displays The 60 greatest pop-culture moments that riveted us. By Diane Clehane

Call us biased, but some of our most vivid memories come from TV shows. From the watercooler moments of the ‘50s & ‘60s to today’s incredible plot twists that send us straight to Twitter, TV has shaped our collective consciousness. Together, we’ve laughed (thanks, Lucy), cried (goodbye, Johnny), and cringed (we’re looking at you, Kanye). Sure, there are more than 60 moments we’ll never forget – but it’s our anniversary, so just go with it.

(Large picture of pregnant Lucy sitting on the couch, Ricky standing next to her, looking concerned).

1. Lucy gives birth to Little Ricky. I Love Lucy delivered ratings gold on January 19, 1953, when more than 44 million viewers tuned in for the birth of Little Ricky – the same night Ball’s son, Desi Arnaz Jr., was born.

On p2, readers had written in regarding a list in the 7-29-13 issue (All Our Children”, a list of the 60 greatest TV kids of all time).

Other oversights, according to our readers: Boy Meets World’s Cory Matthews, The Cosby Show’s Theo Huxtable, Full House’s Tanner girls (“How rude” of us!), Home Improvement’s Taylor boys and I Love Lucy’s Little Ricky.

On p 86, Lucy is a clue in the crossword puzzle with 4 spaces. She is the first clue in the Down section: “Lucille of I Love Lucy”. :lucy1:Also, the other day I came across this article online: " Lucille Ball And 'Star Trek': The Surprising Celebrity Producers Behind Top Shows "

. Here's a link to it:

http://www.huffingto...html?ref=topbar

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Joyce  :) ! I found a small Lucy mention in the June 2013 issue of More magazine. (It got buried on my nightstand. You know the drill, I'm sure -- so many books & magazines to read, so little time :lucy1: .)

It is on p 70, in an article about actress Debra Messing called "No Fear of Failure" by Leah Rozen. (The author is discussing the character, Grace, that Messing used to play on a popular show called "Will & Grace").

"Messing also brought an endearing touch of klutz to Grace. 'She has a lot in common with Lucille Ball: the ability to be this great leading lady but also brilliant with the physical comedy.' says Kohan."

(The Kohan mentioned above is David Kohan, one of the cocreators of the Will & Grace show).

Hope all is going well with your chronology, & that the end is in sight. :)

alift_zps0ed706a4.jpg

"Love yourself first, and everything else falls into line!" - Lucille Ball. This quote is in the September 2, 2013 issue of Woman's World.

thanks, Sharon; I really MUST get caught up on my reading of the Lounge, thoroughly; nice of you to post this; and keep your eyes peeled for mention(s) of 'our girl'....I appreciate it.

Viv:  As always, I appreciate your reading material and passing it along for the good of the chronology.

Soon to publisher, I hope; getting some very bad news from iUniverse, where I've had the first 40 books paid for for several years; and they want the book cut down to 450 pages; I'm considering asking for my money back and peddling it  elsewhere.  I even asked them if they would publish it in two volumes, as a set; first 6 months of the year, and last six months of the year - no dice!  Guess it's their printer's rules.  I'm not cutting it down to 450 pages; it would take me another 9 years to do so!!!!  I'll keep you posted.  Right now, I'm just a bit RAW with that news. 

Loving you, JK

Viv:  As always, I appreciate your reading material and passing it along for the good of the chronology.

Soon to publisher, I hope; getting some very bad news from iUniverse, where I've had the first 40 books paid for for several years; and they want the book cut down to 450 pages; I'm considering asking for my money back and peddling it  elsewhere.  I even asked them if they would publish it in two volumes, as a set; first 6 months of the year, and last six months of the year - no dice!  Guess it's their printer's rules.  I'm not cutting it down to 450 pages; it would take me another 9 years to do so!!!!  I'll keep you posted.  Right now, I'm just a bit RAW with that news. 

Loving you, JK

So sorry to hear that.  By the way, i'm curious, what did you decide on for the title?  Something simple like Lucy, the Chronology?

Oh no, Joyce. I'm so sorry about the bad news. I hope they don't hassle you about getting your money back. If there was a page limit, they should have told you up front -- sheesh. You've put years of time & work into this. It's so understandable that you are upset.

It keeps crossing my mind as I type this that if Lucy were alive she would throw a fit on your behalf.

Please keep us posted.  ((Hugs))

So sorry to hear that.  By the way, i'm curious, what did you decide on for the title?  Something simple like Lucy, the Chronology?

thanks for your interest; right now, I'm leaning toward "Looking Back"; got to see what my granddaughter wants it to be, since it will be dedicated to her having Lucille's birthdate as her own.  Of course, I'm always open to more suggestions; there were some GREAT ONES, as I recall in another thread here I have to look back on and re-read..

Oh no, Joyce. I'm so sorry about the bad news. I hope they don't hassle you about getting your money back. If there was a page limit, they should have told you up front -- sheesh. You've put years of time & work into this. It's so understandable that you are upset.

It keeps crossing my mind as I type this that if Lucy were alive she would throw a fit on your behalf.

Please keep us posted.  ((Hugs))

As ALWAYS, thanks for your interest and kind words; and RESEARCH....I truly appreciate each....Loving you, JK

Posted this date to chronology:

The Sunday Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY - Region Section - full-page ad(s) plus photo(s) - “TV Guide - 'The Most Entertaining Stage Production I've Seen In Years - Including Broadway' - 'I Love Lucy' Live On Stage, staged by Rick Sparks, and adapted from the most-beloved television show in history - September 17 - October 13, 710 Main Theatre, Buffalo NY,” published this date in 2013.  (just a side note, on a personal level - for those of you who know them, the McCulloughs and I will be attending this event on the 12th...can't wait!)

The Sunday Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY - Region Section - full-page ad(s) plus photo - Comedian, Martin Short - October 12 - Jamestown, NY - One Night Only - The Reg Lenna Center for the Arts - This program, along with the inaugural Lucy Town Half Marathon & 5K, is a collaborative effort by three local non-profit organizations: Chautauqua Sriders, The Jamestown Savings Bank Arena, and The Lucy-Desi Center for Comedy. All proceeds support mission-based programming, including mentoring youth through education, advocacy and athletics, and enriching the arts, culture and wellness offerings in the area,” published this date in 2013.  (just another side note, the McCulloughs and I will not be attending this event!!; and I pray he does NOT tell that famous airplane story here; they will boo him off the stage!)

thanks for your interest; right now, I'm leaning toward "Looking Back"; got to see what my granddaughter wants it to be, since it will be dedicated to her having Lucille's birthdate as her own.  Of course, I'm always open to more suggestions; there were some GREAT ONES, as I recall in another thread here I have to look back on and re-read..

Looking back sounds great, dunno where that thread is but I KNOW there were loads of great suggestions.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Joyce! I found an I Love Lucy mention today, this time on page 29 of the October 2013 issue of Real Simple magazine. It tickles me that Lucy is still relevant to people today, so many decades later. :)

The magazine has a section called Your Words. In it, they ask a question & readers send in their responses.

"Q: What is your best tip for getting the day off to a good start?

'Instead of watching the morning news while I get ready for work, I view old episodes of I Love Lucy, which air on the Hallmark channel. The show puts me in a much better mood than subjecting myself to reports about recent national tragedies would. I can catch up on current events later. In the morning, it's important to feel lighthearted about life.'  Cheryl Knopf, Federalsburg, Maryland"

Hi Joyce! I found an I Love Lucy mention today, this time on page 29 of the October 2013 issue of Real Simple magazine. It tickles me that Lucy is still relevant to people today, so many decades later. :)

The magazine has a section called Your Words. In it, they ask a question & readers send in their responses.

'Instead of watching the morning news while I get ready for work, I view old episodes of I Love Lucy, which air on the Hallmark channel. The show puts me in a much better mood than subjecting myself to reports about recent national tragedies would. I can catch up on current events later. In the morning, it's important to feel lighthearted about life.'  Cheryl Knopf, Federalsburg, Maryland"

LOVE this! What Ms. Knopf said!  ^_^

As always, thanks again; been away from the Lounge cuppla days - machine maintenance and other things. I appreciate you being on the watch for the good of the chronology.  Loving you, JK

• 1 month later...

Hi Joyce! I have been meaning to get here to let you know I found two Lucy mentions in the Nov 25 - Dec 8, 2013 issue of TV Guide, but life has been so busy lately (& doesn't show any sign of letting up :)) . If they've been mentioned in another thread just disregard this post; I don't know when I'll get a chance to catch up around here.

The first is on page 19. The article by Aubry D'Armino is "Deck the Halls: The 60 greatest holiday episodes of all time". While Lucy did not make the top ten, she is #6 in "The Other 50" list. AND, I thought it was terrific that it was not an I Love Lucy mention, but this series:

"Lucy battles Vivian over tree decorations on The Lucy Show (1962)."

The second mention is on page 27 under "Movies and Specials". There are two columns. At the bottom of the first is a color picture of (left to right) Ethel, Lucy, Ricky & Fred dressed in their santa suits with the beards down so you can see their faces. At the bottom of the right column (with an arrow pointing to the picture) is this:

"I Love Lucy Christmas Special (Friday, 12/20, 8/7c, CBS) "Lucy, I'm home!" For the holidays, that is. Two back-to-back episodes of the classic sitcom -- the rarely seen "Christmas Episode" and the famous grape-stomping installment -- will air in color."

It's on my calendar -- I'm curious how much they will cut from each episode. Maybe nothing -- here's hoping! :)  :ill:

Hi Joyce! I have been meaning to get here to let you know I found two Lucy mentions in the Nov 25 - Dec 8, 2013 issue of TV Guide, but life has been so busy lately (& doesn't show any sign of letting up :)) . If they've been mentioned in another thread just disregard this post; I don't know when I'll get a chance to catch up around here.

The first is on page 19. The article by Aubry D'Armino is "Deck the Halls: The 60 greatest holiday episodes of all time". While Lucy did not make the top ten, she is #6 in "The Other 50" list. AND, I thought it was terrific that it was not an I Love Lucy mention, but this series:

"Lucy battles Vivian over tree decorations on The Lucy Show (1962)."

The second mention is on page 27 under "Movies and Specials". There are two columns. At the bottom of the first is a color picture of (left to right) Ethel, Lucy, Ricky & Fred dressed in their santa suits with the beards down so you can see their faces. At the bottom of the right column (with an arrow pointing to the picture) is this:

"I Love Lucy Christmas Special (Friday, 12/20, 8/7c, CBS) "Lucy, I'm home!" For the holidays, that is. Two back-to-back episodes of the classic sitcom -- the rarely seen "Christmas Episode" and the famous grape-stomping installment -- will air in color."

It's on my calendar -- I'm curious how much they will cut from each episode. Maybe nothing -- here's hoping! :)  :ill:

I've been away from here too much lately, as well.  I do thank you for sharing all these mentions with me and for the chronology; they are so important so many years AFTER all the passings.  You ARE the best.

Hoping all is well with you and yours.  Loving you, JK

Archived