Lucy Clippings: 1940's

Luvsbway

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol yeah is now the scarla apartments

Oh geez, there too, everything old here is being turned into theaters, apartments, condos, well, at least they don't tear them down.  Such rich architecture, the biggest screen in Montreal, where i saw Mame, is now hundreds of condos.  Sometimes they even build a sleek new high rise but keep the front of old buildings that were there, just build around them.  

A couple of notes on this article.  She talks about some stuff that seemed to ring true all her life.  First I think she always thought of herself as a comedienne, even in the times when she was getting put into dramas and musicals. Second she talks about the light and airy movie with laughs and that is what people need now.  Lucy always wanted to provide an escape and not make her show about the news.  Third, even in 1940 she was bored talking about her life. This becomes more evident in the 60s-80s on talk shows where we get true Lucy.  If she was bored with her past in the 40s, she must have been completely over it by the later years.  What Lucy really liked was getting to know about someone else.  This is clearly evident on her radio talk show.  She genuinely seems interested in the person and asks good questions.  Rarely does she relate it back to herself.  I recently watched the Dick Cavette interview (the feather outfit) and she seems really intrigued to know Dick's background.

9.8.40.png

A couple of notes on this article.  She talks about some stuff that seemed to ring true all her life.  First I think she always thought of herself as a comedienne, even in the times when she was getting put into dramas and musicals. Second she talks about the light and airy movie with laughs and that is what people need now.  Lucy always wanted to provide an escape and not make her show about the news.  Third, even in 1940 she was bored talking about her life. This becomes more evident in the 60s-80s on talk shows where we get true Lucy.  If she was bored with her past in the 40s, she must have been completely over it by the later years.  What Lucy really liked was getting to know about someone else.  This is clearly evident on her radio talk show.  She genuinely seems interested in the person and asks good questions.  Rarely does she relate it back to herself.  I recently watched the Dick Cavette interview (the feather outfit) and she seems really intrigued to know Dick's background.

9.8.40.png

Well, that's the mark of a great talk show host, to make it about the interview guest and not about them, and as Lucy once said to Merv, he also LISTENED to his guests.  

UNCHAPEROOOOOOOOOOOONED??????????

OMG - HOW DID WE LET THAT HAPPEN????

Well, they're all older now and have done this sort of thing before, in Jamestown.  I would kill to win the lottery and be able to have you all over HERE, all expenses paid and Lucy souvenirs galore, LOL!

I have pass-a-port; like to travel; have no idea where Montreal is; but, would need a place to stay; hotels close to you, reasonable?  Loving you, JK

HEY!  I have to win the lottery first, then, everything would be paid for for you.  Montreal is forty miles from the US border and 400 miles from New York City, unfortunately you are much closer to Brock i think than to me, as Toronto is close to Buffalo which i believe is close to Jamestown.

I don't know about that (I don't see the comparison myself) but he is young, adorable, charming, funny and smart in his own right which is a pretty enticing combination, dontcha think?? :peachonthebeach:

Well, when i saw him in a pic in Jamestown, of course that was years ago, he looked a lot like Mr Oppenheimer, jr not sr of course.  I'm going by the pic in his book also.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived