Mysterious I Love Lucy Ticket

LucyEths

Hi All,

I recently got my hands on an original I Love Lucy ticket that's dated Thursday, January 31, 1957. Thing is, they didn't film an episode on that date. Research shows "Lucy Raises Chickens" was filmed on January 17th and "Lucy Does The Tango" on February 7th. From what I've found they filmed an epiode nearly every Thursday except Jan. 31st. Anyone know why this ticket has a date where there wasn't a filming?

My guesses are: Desi Jr's 4th birthday was two days after the 17th filming so maybe they decided to go somewhere to celebrate or maybe a main cast member was sick?

Need some help solving this mystery!

I thought they started using the screenings during "The Lucy Desi Comedy Hours" when they went on location and such. Not sure if they did them during the half hour series.

I think they started doing screenings during the third season I believe? I don't have the handy Lucy book with me, but I do believe they screen some shows in the earlier run. Ill have to check on that 

I noticed it's marked as Lilian avenue, wonder if they later changed it to Carolyn way.

No, it's still Lillian Way but the audience entrance no longer exists, at least not where the Desilu Playhouse sign was.  It's odd they didn't use the studio's street address on Cahuenga for these tickets. 

I've never heard before anything about "screening tickets" -- has this been verified by anyone reputable? Sure would like to see evidence of this as it's a practice I've never till now heard they employed.

By the date of this ticket -- one of the last Connecticut half-hours -- it more than likely had been printed then filming had to be postponed, for whatever reason.  I doubt there's much real "mystery" behind it but I'd be curious to know what happened!

No, it's still Lillian Way but the audience entrance no longer exists, at least not where the Desilu Playhouse sign was.  It's odd they didn't use the studio's street address on Cahuenga for these tickets. 

I've never heard before anything about "screening tickets" -- has this been verified by anyone reputable? Sure would like to see evidence of this as it's a practice I've never till now heard they employed.

By the date of this ticket -- one of the last Connecticut half-hours -- it more than likely had been printed then filming had to be postponed, for whatever reason.  I doubt there's much real "mystery" behind it but I'd be curious to know what happened!

In Geoffreys Fidleman's authorized book "The Lucy Book" on page 70, he gives information on episode #80 "Ricky Minds The Baby" and how it was screened to an audience for the laughs.

heres a little excerpt

Ricky Minds The Baby-January 18th 1954 

"This episode was filmed without a live audience because it was feared that the abundant use of the Mayer twins might cause delays and many retakes. 

The completed episode was later shown to an audience and their laughs were recorded for the broadcast."

Archived