'I Love Lucy' Christmas special on CBS: Dec. 7, 2014

Paul Sheehan

I think the idea was to merely add the new DVD to the packages already in existence (and being supplied to the other outlets)... Those fancy multi-disc clamshells are a lot more expensive...

Am glad the Canadian stores are stocking the set...

Hope the US stores order more. The stores here in LA each only seemed to have two or three...

I bought the last one in one of the two stores in my area. The other store only had the single-disc package from last year...

T.

Oh i understand and appreciate all that but only having a tiny little sticker that you need a magnefying glass to read was not smart, a third of the bottom of the box, in the front and NOT only on the inside should have said JOB SWITCHING IN COLOR inluded FOR THE FIRST TIME as a bonus so people would not think it's just last year's great offering. 

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think abouth this:

These colorized episodes are PUTTING I LOVE LUCY BACK IN PRIMETIME. I don't care how they're aired as long as it's being broadcast to such a wide audience again. Sadly, there are people who don't watch things that are black and white. We will just have to conform to them- for our benefit and theirs.

Think abouth this:

These colorized episodes are PUTTING I LOVE LUCY BACK IN PRIMETIME. I don't care how they're aired as long as it's being broadcast to such a wide audience again. Sadly, there are people who don't watch things that are black and white. We will just have to conform to them- for our benefit and theirs.

Well put and so true.  I can't believe some people look upon this great event as a bad thing, LOL!

I do believe some are over-reacting to the idea of colorization.

I HAVE TO RESPECT THOSE WHO ARE AGHAST, BUT IT JUST DOESN'T BOTHER ME MUCH.  THESE COLORIZ-ERS ARE IN A NO-WIN SITUATION WITH THE PURISTS.  THEY WON'T BE PLEASED.

I sincerely doubt that the entire series will ever be colorized. It's so expensive to do even a single episode, that the idea of doing all 180 (plus 13 hour longs) is mind-boggling...

WELL, BOGGLE AWAY!   HOWEVER, I CAN THINK OF A FEW OF THE 189 REMAINING EPISODES THEY CAN LEAVE OUT.  BUT WHILE WE'RE WISHING FOR THE MOON, HOW ABOUT THOSE 30 1st SEASON "LUCY SHOWS"? (AS LONG AS THEY DON'T MAKE THE SHOWER WATER BLUE)

Secondly, I agree with Brian about it being sad that the original show would disappear... but I fear that there is a greater chance that it might disappear because viewers and advertisers do not want to deal with black-and-white television. I'd rather have people see colorized Lucy  than no Lucy at all...

THAT IS A REALLY VALID POINT.  FOR THOSE WHO ARE MORE CASUAL VIEWERS THAN WE ALL ARE (which means just about everybody else) THERE'S NO BLASPHEMY AND THE INCONSISTENCIES ARE NOT SO GLARING.  I CAUGHT AN EPISODE OF "BEWITCHED", A SERIES I'M NOT AS FAMILIAR WITH, AND DID NOT REALIZE IT WAS COLORIZED UNTIL I SAW ALICE PEARCE WHO ONLY APPEARED IN THE FIRST 2 b/w SEASONS.

The black-and-white originals will never disappear -- unless time itself does the damage.  The films themselves are now 50-60 years old, and despite being carefully "cared for," they are disintegrating.  I KNOW THE FEELING!!.  CBS has been diligently transferring them to whatever new media form comes along, remastering them for future generations...

WITH SO MUCH FROM THAT ERA THROWN AWAY, WE'RE LUCKY THERE ARE THESE ORIGINAL ELEMENTS ARE STILL AROUND TO PRESERVE. 

But no one knows what these elements will look like 50 years from now...BY THAT TIME, I'LL BE NET-FLIX-ING IN THE HEREAFTER, SO I WON'T KNOW.

JUST IN CASE, THERE'S NO AFTERLIFE, I MAY OPT TO BE BURIED WITH THE A SOLAR CHARGED I-PAD (connected to power panel on my headstone) WITH WHOLE SERIES ON A CONTINUAL LOOP (INCLUDING ABOUT 2/3rds OF THE LUCY SHOW AND SELECTED EPISODES OF HERE'S LUCY). 

THOUGH, WITHOUT ANY CONTROL OVER THE PLAYBACK, THAT MEANS I'LL HAVE TO SIT THROUGH "DRAFTED" and the "THEM THERE DAYS" SEGMENT OF "MILTON BERLE HIDES OUT" INTO ETERNITY---WHICH SHOULD BE MORE THAN ENOUGH PENANCE FOR WHATEVER SINS I MAY HAVE COMMITTED IN LIFE.  

So pardon me when I am thrilled to see the show be invited back into network prime time, where it continues to earn its weight in rating points... and if the price of admission is colorization, then I am all for it...

WELL PUT, Tjw!

Archived