I Loved Lucy on stage

Luvsbway

Anyone on the West Coast going to this?

Laguna Playhouse's world premiere of I Loved Lucy, the stage version of Lee Tannen's book about his friendship with aging actress Lucille Ball, will star Diane J. Findlay as Ball and Jeffry Denman as Lee.

Performances under the direction of Todd Weeks will play Oct. 5-31 in Laguna Beach, CA. Opening is Oct. 9.

According to production notes, "Comedienne Lucille Ball left an indelible imprint on fans throughout the world, but most saw only the public persona. Now, go behind the scenes and get a glimpse of the personal side of Lucy. Few people knew America's comic sweetheart the way Lee Tannen did. Though distantly related by marriage and 40 years apart in age, Lucy and Lee became the nearest and dearest of friends during the last decade of Lucy's life. It was a time Lucy spent out of the spotlight and around a backgammon table, and Lee was lucky enough to be sitting across from her for much of that time."

"Lee Tannen has a unique insider's knowledge of Lucille Ball," Laguna Playhouse artistic director Andrew Barnicle said in a statement. "He spent years as her friend and confidant, and he saw her through many of the ups and downs in the last decade of her life. Yes, she was a comic powerhouse. She was also stubborn, philosophical, affectionate, mercurial, vulnerable, and very human."

Denman appeared in Off-Broadway's Yank! (for which he was a 2010 Drama Desk nominee) and Broadway's White Christmas, The Producers, Cats, Dream and 1995's How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying.

Findlay appeared in Off-Broadway's Flamingo Court, Paper Mill Playhouse's Funny Girl and Goodspeed Musicals' Dear World and They All Laughed.

For more information, call (949) 497-2787, or visit LagunaPlayhouse.com.

• 1 month later...

Those pictures are incredible! Especially the re-creation of the light-up cameo/lipstick reapplication fiasco. It looks promising! (Although it look like Estelle Getty circa 1986 is playing Lucy. LOL)

Well, i loved his book so i''m sure i'd love this play, and considering Lucy's appearance at the end of her life, i'm actually quite releived at seeing this actress capture her very well.

Well...there is a lot of mixed emotion in the "Lucy" circle about this play, but looks like the LA Times did NOT enjoy it.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/culturemonster/2010/10/theater-review-i-loved-lucy-at-laguna-playhouse.html

Apparently, quite a few "Lucy" folks went to see the opening night production, Wanda/Frank/Michael/Tom Gilbert/Carole Cook & Tom Troupe among others...and I'm hearing most of them liked it. Remember, this Lucille is not your TV persona.

If time allows, I'm going to try to see it and will give my honest opinion.

Well...there is a lot of mixed emotion in the "Lucy" circle about this play, but looks like the LA Times did NOT enjoy it.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/culturemonster/2010/10/theater-review-i-loved-lucy-at-laguna-playhouse.html

Apparently, quite a few "Lucy" folks went to see the opening night production, Wanda/Frank/Michael/Tom Gilbert/Carole Cook & Tom Troupe among others...and I'm hearing most of them liked it. Remember, this Lucille is not your TV persona.

Wow, exactly the type of review i would have expected after reading the book, and knowing it had been adapted into a play. What the reviewer states is what i thought at the time after reading that book, it's all about Lee, and our joy at finally finding out what it was like for her in those final years is overshadowed by his recollections of what it was like for HIM to be in her company. I especially liked the line about his wondering why Lucy would object to the three little brats bouncing off the walls of that old fashionned mausalium style decor in Beverly Hills, LOL! There was nothing wrong with Lucy wanting her grandchildren well behaved and her love for them was demonstrated in her own recollections of said children. I would love to hear what Frank and Wanda thought as they were witnesses to some of those incidents. I'm sure the play would have been better in more professional hands, maybe Lee should have asked someone to turn his book into a play and then have some pro direct it. I also laughed when the reviewer mentionned Lucy was played by an Estelle Getty wannabe, you got that one right Brockie, LOL!

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, exactly the type of review i would have expected after reading the book, and knowing it had been adapted into a play. What the reviewer states is what i thought at the time after reading that book, it's all about Lee, and our joy at finally finding out what it was like for her in those final years is overshadowed by his recollections of what it was like for HIM to be in her company. I especially liked the line about his wondering why Lucy would object to the three little brats bouncing off the walls of that old fashionned mausalium style decor in Beverly Hills, LOL! There was nothing wrong with Lucy wanting her grandchildren well behaved and her love for them was demonstrated in her own recollections of said children. I would love to hear what Frank and Wanda thought as they were witnesses to some of those incidents. I'm sure the play would have been better in more professional hands, maybe Lee should have asked someone to turn his book into a play and then have some pro direct it. I also laughed when the reviewer mentionned Lucy was played by an Estelle Getty wannabe, you got that one right Brockie, LOL!

Heading south to Laguna Beach this afternoon (about an hour away) to check out a matinee of this clambake...kinda mixed feelings about seeing it, sure it'll will bring up lots of old emotions about the old gal and how she basically frittered away her "golden years", playing backgammon and whatnot.... last weekend of the run, so just getting in under the wire.

Will let you know what I thought of it later, if you're so inclined. Toodles! lucyhaha.JPG

I saw it. The LA Times review is fair.

Note to Paula Stewart: see your attorney!

And someone told me Lucie Arnaz posted this on her Facebook page*:

"I saw Lee Tannen's play I Loved Lucy last night. Apparently he didn't."

Youch!

But Lucie, dear, everything on stage was written about in the book that you wrote the loving forward to. Did you read it?

*visible, I assume, to those she has accepted as a friend. I am NOT among them!

I saw it. The LA Times review is fair.

Note to Paula Stewart: see your attorney!

And someone told me Lucie Arnaz posted this on her Facebook page*:

"I saw Lee Tannen's play I Loved Lucy last night. Apparently he didn't."

Youch!

But Lucie, dear, everything on stage was written about in the book that you wrote the loving forward to. Did you read it?

*visible, I assume, to those she has accepted as a friend. I am NOT among them!

Did she LOVE Lucy herself? With all that crap she said about her over the years? Oh yeah, that's right, she did love getting those cheques after she passed on though. I'm dying to know what you mean Neil about Paula should see her attorney??? LOL! That was the best story in his book.

Did she LOVE Lucy herself? With all that crap she said about her over the years? Oh yeah, that's right, she did love getting those cheques after she passed on though. I'm dying to know what you mean Neil about Paula should see her attorney??? LOL! That was the best story in his book.

Lee uses Paula Stewart's full name in the play.

The whole story about Lee blowing up at Lucy and Paula is staged differently. In the book, Lee admits that he was perhaps out of line but then spends a whole lot of time justifying his frustration. In the play, the Paula back-story is not told. She's referred to only as a hanger-on that Lucy is kind to because she introduced her to Gary. In the play, the showdown occurs over the backgammon table with just the two of them. It starts by Lucy saying something about loaning Paula money. Lee is silent then Lucy says "You don't like Paula, don't you?". Then Lee starts in saying awful things about stuff Paula has done, which may or may not be true..who knows? I'm sure Paula's version is different than Lee's. In the play, Lucy concedes some of his points. I don't think she does in the book. Lee's blowup makes even less sense on stage than it does in the book, especially considering it wasn't THAT big a deal really and it was between Lee and Paula, not Lucy.

Lee uses Paula Stewart's full name in the play.

The whole story about Lee blowing up at Lucy and Paula is staged differently. In the book, Lee admits that he was perhaps out of line but then spends a whole lot of time justifying his frustration. In the play, the Paula back-story is not told. She's referred to only as a hanger-on that Lucy is kind to because she introduced her to Gary. In the play, the showdown occurs over the backgammon table with just the two of them. It starts by Lucy saying something about loaning Paula money. Lee is silent then Lucy says "You don't like Paula, don't you?". Then Lee starts in saying awful things about stuff Paula has done, which may or may not be true..who knows? I'm sure Paula's version is different than Lee's. In the play, Lucy concedes some of his points. I don't think she does in the book. Lee's blowup makes even less sense on stage than it does in the book, especially considering it wasn't THAT big a deal really and it was between Lee and Paula, not Lucy.

Geez, thanks for that, i wonder why they changed it, was the play that boring that they needed this fiction introduced to liven things up? Wish Pau;a had written ehr own book so we could get HER side of the story.

Wow! That looks fantastic except doesn't sound anything like Lucy (in my opinion) and correct me if I'm wrong, but the woman portraying her comes across as a little nasty, was Lucy REALLY like that in her final years? Just doesn't seem like the Lucy I would expect.

Wow! That looks fantastic except doesn't sound anything like Lucy (in my opinion) and correct me if I'm wrong, but the woman portraying her comes across as a little nasty, was Lucy REALLY like that in her final years? Just doesn't seem like the Lucy I would expect.

Lucy was always blunt and direct, a no nonsense lady, but poor Lee had lost his ticket to celebrityhood when she died so he needed this book and play to recoup his losses, LOL! :lucythrill:

I have to admit I laughed a few times in that trailer. It's a shame though that the actress portrays Lucy so broadly.

Broadly or Badly? LMAO!

@ Claude: Yes, I agree, she was a non-nonsense lady, but not in the way this woman portrayed her, or at least I don't think so.

Broadly or Badly? LMAO!

@ Claude: Yes, I agree, she was a non-nonsense lady, but not in the way this woman portrayed her, or at least I don't think so.

What sells tickets is the exaggerated, not the self effacing lady who sat in corners at parties and was quiet all night. :lucydisgust: If i had been part of the Lucy contingent who sat through that crap show, i would have walked out mid performance, assuming i could make it that far into the terrible show.

Archived