Brock    3,349

I’m on my way to an Auntie Mame screening in Toronto this afternoon — dressed for the resistance. 

2062E149-7CA9-430B-9331-3FE9386CB6BA.jpeg

• Haha 2

Neil    1,337

Decades TV channel has a show called "Hollywood Remembers" where they pick a year and highlight films released.  It's pretty cheaply produced (using trailer footage) and does not look new.  Last night it was 1974,   While "Mame" is not one of the movies given its own segment, a brief shot is seen in the opening montage of movies from that year.   AND during the "Lenny" segment they include Gary Morton advising Lenny Bruce "Work clean, Lenny.  Don't resort to using dirt". 

Freddie2    837

I listened to Joyce Van Patten’s fairly recent appearance on Gilbert Gottfried’s podcast. She said that Lucy really enjoyed filming with her, and that she got the impression Lucy was lonely and looking for a friend. When Joyce didn’t exactly reciprocate on those feelings, Lucy became cold towards her:(

Another interesting tidbit she shared is that even in 1974 Lucy wouldn’t stop talking about Desi. Joyce described Lucy’s second marriage favorably, but in the “companionship” context that so many people frequently use. She called Gary “a very good valet”:gary:

• Haha 1

Mr. Wilson    36

She never should have married Gary.  He ruined her career after Here's Lucy ended.  He kept a lot of her old friends away and was that forced her to do Life With Lucy.  He was so money mad and fake.  I know she claims he made her happy but I wonder.  

• Confused 2

Luvsbway    2,024

I got the Mame blu ray for my birthday and finally got around to watching it last night. It looks great. With the rest of the shots so crisp and clear, the soft focus closeups really stand out much more than they did on DVD. I wasn’t really looking for them but just analyzing the picture quality over all and I noticed right away in that first shot on the piano top. But the shots pulled back Lucy still looks fine so I really wish they just would have shot the thing less gauzy. I wonder if this was that noticeable in cinemas in the 70s.

• Like 2