Yours, mine and whozitz.

Did not know that there's a page on everything Lucy ever did including her most successfull movie, Yours mine and ours. Seems it grossed almost 26 million dollars back in '68 when tickets were less than a dollar. It was not only United Artists' biggest hit for that year but it was also number eleven on the tally of biggest movies for '68. It has also accumulated more than that since then in rentals. Another thirty million or more.

Lucy's biggest film hit caused her problems though as she owned one quarter of the film, her share was 25 percent and as she hadn't provided a shelter for her profits, she gave almost all of it back in taxes. Makes you wonder who worked for her money wise and took care of her investments and what a lousy job they did, sounds like my own accountant.

The list of leading men considered for the job opposite her as Mr Beardsley included everybody from Desi Arnaz as the project came about before they were divorced to Jimmy Stewart and even John Wayne. Of course we know Henry Fonda came out and asked for the part and as she had worked with him twice, most notably on her best dramatic film, The Big Street, she said yes right away to having him star opposite her.

They mention how many of the kids were name stars like Tracy Nelson and Tim Matheson but i had no idea Tim married the girl who played Lucy's oldest daughter Colleen. But they later divorced. Tim went on to darker more adult comedies like Animal House of course. The daughter that went to the hospital ended up shooting J R on Dallas. Tracy went on to star with the doctor, Tom Bosley on Father Dowling Mysteries.

The list of leading men considered for the job opposite her as Mr Beardsley included everybody from Desi Arnaz as the project came about before they were divorced to Jimmy Stewart and even John Wayne. Of course we know Henry Fonda came out asn asked for the part and as she had worked with him twice, most notably on her best dramatic film, The Big Street, she said yes right away to having him star opposite her.

The story about Desi starring in the movie with Lucy isn't true. The Beardsleys did not marry until 1961.

The story about Desi starring in the movie with Lucy isn't true. The Beardsleys did not marry until 1961.

Yeah, i know, i was supposed to keep going with those posts but ran out of time, first of all, i was posting without notes so i'm not sure what a ticket cost back in '68, i seem to recall a buck fifty here for a show at night but only like 85 cents for a child's ticket. As for the many inaccuracies about the film, yes, they only married in '61 and what about when Mrs beardsley's book came out? Seems the Wikipedia page has got loads of stories or facts that are debunked right there further down on the page. I thought maybe they had this idea of them being parents with loads of kids and then got divorced and then this book came out with the same type of story but exagerated to the point of it being a real Army of kids.

I think they also debunked the one about The Brady Bunch coming about because of the book and movie of Yours mine and ours, once called The Beardsley story, His hers and theirs and other names of that ilk. HOWEVER, i think they said the tv show came about BECAUSE the movie was such a hit, had a great idea about a plot of merging two families and so on and not just a tv version of another movie HIT.

Yeah, i know, i was supposed to keep going with those posts but ran out of time, first of all, i was posting without notes so i'm not sure what a ticket cost back in '68, i seem to recall a buck fifty here for a show at night but only like 85 cents for a child's ticket. As for the many inaccuracies about the film, yes, they only married in '61 and what about when Mrs beardsley's book came out? Seems the Wikipedia page has got loads of stories or facts that are debunked right there further down on the page. I thought maybe they had this idea of them being parents with loads of kids and then got divorced and then this book came out with the same type of story but exagerated to the point of it being a real Army of kids.

The idea for the film came from Bob Carroll Jr.'s wife reading a newspaper article about the Beardsleys getting married.

Archived