The Lucille Ball Specials Double Feature

Robert13

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure if this has been reported yet but here are the bonus features for this dvd:

New Interviews & Introductions with Co-Stars

Blooper Reel

Let‘s Talk To Lucy - Lost Interviews with Mary Tyler Moore

Can't wait! :)

Fantastic news!

InterviewS? :HALKING:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another Lucy dvd is coming next week. The excitement begins again. Can't wait for this dvd. I wonder if they will release "Lucy Moves to NBC" next year. Or if they will wait until "Here's Lucy" is complete. That would mean a possible 2012 release. I doubt they will fit 3 whole seasons of "Here's Lucy" next year. What does everyone think?

Another Lucy dvd is coming next week. The excitement begins again. Can't wait for this dvd. I wonder if they will release "Lucy Moves to NBC" next year. Or if they will wait until "Here's Lucy" is complete. That would mean a possible 2012 release. I doubt they will fit 3 whole seasons of "Here's Lucy" next year. What does everyone think?

Like I said, that stinkeroo I can wait for; although I look forward to adding it to my Lucy video library, I'd much rather GAB complete Here's Lucy first. Either way, I think by the time her birthday and/or ILL's 60th anniversary rolls around in October, we'll have pretty much everything! At least.....that's what I'm hoping!

marionstrong.gif

Like I said, that stinkeroo I can wait for; although I look forward to adding it to my Lucy video library, I'd much rather GAB complete Here's Lucy first. Either way, I think by the time her birthday and/or ILL's 60th anniversary rolls around in October, we'll have pretty much everything! At least.....that's what I'm hoping!

marionstrong.gif

BUT, we'll NEVER have EVERYTHING, we'd need to get every talk show appearance, every variety show she ever did a guest spot on, every game show she ever did, every award show she presented, accepted an award, every special she guested on, every foreign interview she did, etc . . . .

BUT, we'll NEVER have EVERYTHING, we'd need to get every talk show appearance, every variety show she ever did a guest spot on, every game show she ever did, every award show she presented, accepted an award, every special she guested on, every foreign interview she did, etc . . . .

I, too, would love to see them complete "Here's Lucy" by October. But I'm not counting on it since they only released 1 season this year. I'm a little concerned about whether or not they would plan to release "Life With Lucy". I think it should be released and I'm sure fans would snap it up. I know I would. But I'm a little worried that they don't think enough of it to release it.

I was referring to her own "product" i.e., series, primarily HL and TLS, hopefully (but doubtfully!) LWL as well as I feel even it deserves a legitimate, "professional" release, especially if --being the most "modern" (that is) recent of her series, there may still be existing footage -- aside from the never broadcast episodes -- of outtakes, behind the scenes stuff that we've never seen -- yet. Perhaps, perhaps not but who knows? Would love to find out!

To have all her Lucy characters in their respective incarnations archived on pristine DVD is what I'm looking forward to; thrilled too to get the post HL LB Specials as at least some different type roles were attempted. To me, all the rest would be "gravy" although I too would love to have all that stuff released too. Guess I'm greedy!

lucythrill.JPG

I was referring to her own "product" i.e., series, primarily HL and TLS, hopefully (but doubtfully!) LWL as well as I feel even it deserves a legitimate, "professional" release, especially if --being the most "modern" (that is) recent of her series, there may still be existing footage -- aside from the never broadcast episodes -- of outtakes, behind the scenes stuff that we've never seen -- yet. Perhaps, perhaps not but who knows? Would love to find out!

To have all her Lucy characters in their respective incarnations archived on pristine DVD is what I'm looking forward to; thrilled too to get the post HL LB Specials as at least some different type roles were attempted. To me, all the rest would be "gravy" although I too would love to have all that stuff released too. Guess I'm greedy!

lucythrill.JPG

Not greedy at all! As a matter of fact, I was looking in my DVD holding booklet and together, without even knowing it, I had one disc from The Lucy Show in one slot, one of I Love lucy in another and a disc from Here's Lucy in the one after that, and I thought WOWOW. i COULD NOT HAVE IMAGINED that one day, Id have these shows all together, all restored and remastered, in a DVD at my fingertips. I'm from the 'golden age" of saying things like "Gee that was a good episode! Cant wait for that one to come back on" or "I have to set the tape recorder cus I cant miss this ILL episode" and I never thought I'd see anything like what we have been BLESSED with in these DVDs.

I wish Life with Lucy did come out on DVD and I wish I had some part in it. I wish that it would be handled like priceless footage! lol It's not even a full season worth of shows,so it shouldnt take long to do some remastering and really sproose it up!

Not greedy at all! As a matter of fact, I was looking in my DVD holding booklet and together, without even knowing it, I had one disc from The Lucy Show in one slot, one of I Love lucy in another and a disc from Here's Lucy in the one after that, and I thought WOWOW. i COULD NOT HAVE IMAGINED that one day, Id have these shows all together, all restored and remastered, in a DVD at my fingertips. I'm from the 'golden age" of saying things like "Gee that was a good episode! Cant wait for that one to come back on" or "I have to set the tape recorder cus I cant miss this ILL episode" and I never thought I'd see anything like what we have been BLESSED with in these DVDs.

I wish Life with Lucy did come out on DVD and I wish I had some part in it. I wish that it would be handled like priceless footage! lol It's not even a full season worth of shows,so it shouldnt take long to do some remastering and really sproose it up!

Well, I wouldn't totally give up hope that someday LWL will see a real DVD release, but frankly, I'd prefer they wait awhile as I'd rather get the other two series complete first, then worry about that one. The nice thing about LWL is though a lot of the Lucy fans involved in producing the current DVD releases were around -- some even having worked on the show -- in the LWL arena and so, I would imagine would be involved in some wundaful bonus stuff like backstage stories, outtakes, etc. should this ever see the light of day. That's my hope anyway. We shall see.

lucyhaha.JPG

I think next year, as the two major anniversaries collide, we'll see LOTS of "product" come our way, some expected, some not and who knows? maybe this little gem may be amongst them.

Stay tuned........ HALKING.gif

FIRST REVIEW FOUND! From Sitcomsonline.com (My lihttp://blog.sitcomsonline.com/2010/12/digital-digest-lucille-ball-specials.htmlnk)

DVD Review: The Lucille Ball Specials - Happy Anniversary & Goodbye/What Now, Catherine Curtis?

by skees53

The Lucille Ball Specials - Happy Anniversary & Goodbye/What Now, Catherine Curtis? (MPI, $14.98)contains two specials starring Lucille Ball in her post Here's Lucy days. The first special, Happy Anniversary & Goodbye, is a comedy starring Ball as Norma Michaels and Art Carney as her husband, Malcolm. As Norma and Michael approach their 25th anniversary, they realize that their marriage has been a disaster, and decide to seek independence from on another. The second special, What Now, Catherine Curtis? is a drama (a rare format for the "Queen of Comedy") divided into three stories, where a recently divorced Catherine Curtis (Ball) tries to readjust to her new life as a divorcee.

Happy Anniversary & Goodbye (52:01) was Ball's first special post-Here's Lucy. The comedy begins in Norma and Malcolm's bedroom just before bedtime. An argument is taking place in the bedroom about the lack of romance in the marriage and, well, his lack of performance in the bedroom. It ends with the two deciding to go their separate ways, just shy of their upcoming 25th anniversary. Norma decides to readjust to this new independent lifestyle by improving herself with the help of her friend Fay (Nanette Fabray). Fay has many ideas that just don't seem to work out well for Norma, including hiring a personal trainer (played by Arnold Schwarzenegger in one of his very early roles). Meanwhile, Malcolm has teamed up with his associate Greg (Peter Marshall), who tries to make him young and independent as well. But this youth and independence doesn't seem to work for him either. So where will each of them find romance that is up to their speed? The special even includes the Timex sponsorship at the beginning.

In What Now, Catherine Curtis? (51:13), we have three separate (but connected) stories about a recently divorced Catherine Curtis trying to readjust to her new life after divorce. The story is divided into three parts, with the first part featuring nothing but a monologue from a very depressed and upset Catherine talking to herself about what went wrong and why her marriage failed. In the second segment, Catherine finally gets back into the dating game with a widowed carpenter (Art Carney). In the final segment, Catherine has found love again, but this time in another man, Peter (Joseph Bologna), but this time there is a slight problem... an age difference. He is 14 years younger than she is.

Both specials are contained on a single disc in a standard DVD case. The cover art features both titles, with the top picture portraying the cast of Happy Anniversary & Goodbye, and the bottom picture portraying the cast of What Now, Catherine Curtis?. The same artwork is contained on the disc itself. The back of the case features a brief description of each special as well as some photos and a list of special features.

The main menu on the DVD begins with options of which special you want to play. Once you have selected a special, you can choose to Play it (with or without introductions from cast members), go to the Special Features menu, or to turn the subtitles. There are chapters placed at all of the appropriate places in the specials.

As far as the video and audio quality of the DVD, it is far from perfect, but is adequate for the specials. The video does look very old and as if it was not remastered at all, but it is perfectly watchable. The mono audio is clear enough, even if it does have a few pops here and there. English subtitles are available for both features.

The DVD has plenty of special features, beginning with introductions for each special. Happy Anniversary & Goodbyehas an introduction (1:59) featuring Peter Marshall and Nanette Fabray. What Now, Catherine Curtis? has an introduction (1:25) featuring Joseph Bologna. The same cast members included in the introductions can be seen again in extended featurettes about the specials, with Happy Anniversary & Goodbye Revisited (19:59) and On the Ball: Joseph Bologna Remembers (13:56), where they all look back at the behind-the-scenes of the specials. These are very interesting to watch. The next special feature has very little to do with the specials, but is very interesting to listen to. It is a radio interview from 1965 that Lucille Ball conducted where she interviewed Mary Tyler Moore (19:18). The interview took place over two days during the fourth season of The Dick Van Dyke Show, and we get a good glimpse at Moore's earliest days of television here. Finally, Outtakes (2:49) is a series of outtakes from Happy Anniversary & Goodbye.

Once again, MPI has put together an excellent DVD for these specials! I really enjoyed both specials, although What Now, Catherine Curtis? was not the typical style of Lucy that we have all become accustomed to. These specials are great paired together, as they are both about the pitfalls of love and marriage. There is quite a bit of sex talk in these specials, which is also something that Lucy fans may not be used to, but it makes them much more interesting. Any Lucille Ball fan will definitely want to own this DVD.

star_sm-717104.gifstar_sm-717104.gifstar_sm-717104.gifstar_sm-717104.gifhalfstar.gif(4.5/5 stars)

The special features sound fantastic! I'm pleasantly surprised the featurettes are so lengthy! Can't wait till Tuesday.

Agreed....and I love that it got such a high rating! biggrin.gif

While the inclusion of the MTM radio show interview seems kinda out of place, I can't WAIT to hear it as I've always got the impression that LB resented MTM for some reason or another and I want to hear how they interact as Lucy seems to really be "herself" in these wundaful audio treasures. cool.gif

FIRST REVIEW FOUND! From Sitcomsonline.com (My lihttp://blog.sitcomsonline.com/2010/12/digital-digest-lucille-ball-specials.htmlnk)

DVD Review: The Lucille Ball Specials - Happy Anniversary & Goodbye/What Now, Catherine Curtis?

by skees53

The Lucille Ball Specials - Happy Anniversary & Goodbye/What Now, Catherine Curtis? (MPI, $14.98)contains two specials starring Lucille Ball in her post Here's Lucy days. The first special, Happy Anniversary & Goodbye, is a comedy starring Ball as Norma Michaels and Art Carney as her husband, Malcolm. As Norma and Michael approach their 25th anniversary, they realize that their marriage has been a disaster, and decide to seek independence from on another. The second special, What Now, Catherine Curtis? is a drama (a rare format for the "Queen of Comedy") divided into three stories, where a recently divorced Catherine Curtis (Ball) tries to readjust to her new life as a divorcee.

Happy Anniversary & Goodbye (52:01) was Ball's first special post-Here's Lucy. The comedy begins in Norma and Malcolm's bedroom just before bedtime. An argument is taking place in the bedroom about the lack of romance in the marriage and, well, his lack of performance in the bedroom. It ends with the two deciding to go their separate ways, just shy of their upcoming 25th anniversary. Norma decides to readjust to this new independent lifestyle by improving herself with the help of her friend Fay (Nanette Fabray). Fay has many ideas that just don't seem to work out well for Norma, including hiring a personal trainer (played by Arnold Schwarzenegger in one of his very early roles). Meanwhile, Malcolm has teamed up with his associate Greg (Peter Marshall), who tries to make him young and independent as well. But this youth and independence doesn't seem to work for him either. So where will each of them find romance that is up to their speed? The special even includes the Timex sponsorship at the beginning.

In What Now, Catherine Curtis? (51:13), we have three separate (but connected) stories about a recently divorced Catherine Curtis trying to readjust to her new life after divorce. The story is divided into three parts, with the first part featuring nothing but a monologue from a very depressed and upset Catherine talking to herself about what went wrong and why her marriage failed. In the second segment, Catherine finally gets back into the dating game with a widowed carpenter (Art Carney). In the final segment, Catherine has found love again, but this time in another man, Peter (Joseph Bologna), but this time there is a slight problem... an age difference. He is 14 years younger than she is.

Both specials are contained on a single disc in a standard DVD case. The cover art features both titles, with the top picture portraying the cast of Happy Anniversary & Goodbye, and the bottom picture portraying the cast of What Now, Catherine Curtis?. The same artwork is contained on the disc itself. The back of the case features a brief description of each special as well as some photos and a list of special features.

The main menu on the DVD begins with options of which special you want to play. Once you have selected a special, you can choose to Play it (with or without introductions from cast members), go to the Special Features menu, or to turn the subtitles. There are chapters placed at all of the appropriate places in the specials.

As far as the video and audio quality of the DVD, it is far from perfect, but is adequate for the specials. The video does look very old and as if it was not remastered at all, but it is perfectly watchable. The mono audio is clear enough, even if it does have a few pops here and there. English subtitles are available for both features.

The DVD has plenty of special features, beginning with introductions for each special. Happy Anniversary & Goodbyehas an introduction (1:59) featuring Peter Marshall and Nanette Fabray. What Now, Catherine Curtis? has an introduction (1:25) featuring Joseph Bologna. The same cast members included in the introductions can be seen again in extended featurettes about the specials, with Happy Anniversary & Goodbye Revisited (19:59) and On the Ball: Joseph Bologna Remembers (13:56), where they all look back at the behind-the-scenes of the specials. These are very interesting to watch. The next special feature has very little to do with the specials, but is very interesting to listen to. It is a radio interview from 1965 that Lucille Ball conducted where she interviewed Mary Tyler Moore (19:18). The interview took place over two days during the fourth season of The Dick Van Dyke Show, and we get a good glimpse at Moore's earliest days of television here. Finally, Outtakes (2:49) is a series of outtakes from Happy Anniversary & Goodbye.

Once again, MPI has put together an excellent DVD for these specials! I really enjoyed both specials, although What Now, Catherine Curtis? was not the typical style of Lucy that we have all become accustomed to. These specials are great paired together, as they are both about the pitfalls of love and marriage. There is quite a bit of sex talk in these specials, which is also something that Lucy fans may not be used to, but it makes them much more interesting. Any Lucille Ball fan will definitely want to own this DVD.

star_sm-717104.gifstar_sm-717104.gifstar_sm-717104.gifstar_sm-717104.gifhalfstar.gif(4.5/5 stars)

Wow, GREAT review, but why the Mary Tyler Moore interview with these two specials??? And i think it was in Lee tannen's book that he SAYS Lucy thought both Mary and Shirley MacLaine were cool towards her in their shows or specials, the thing is everybody says MARY IS COOL TOWARDS EVERYBODY. I think there was a mutual respect among all three as they were fans of each other's work.

Archived