The Valerie Harper Appreciation Thread

I can’t believe it’s been four years since the story of Valerie’s diagnosis broke. Its great that she’s still here and still with it- not to mention how great it is that they’re making such medical advancements! I’ve heard a little Oscar buzz about My Mom and The Girl- I look forward to seeing it!

• 2 weeks later...

...and kind of ironic she outlived Mary -- and Betty White, for that matter -- considering her initially grim diagnosis.

Saw her live at the most recent Hollywood Autograph show and while she curiously was not wearing much -- if any -- makeup to greet the public (and sported a baseball cap rather than having a nice 'do), considering her age and recent health battle, looked sounded and acted amazingly well.  One of the nicest celebs I've ever been privileged to meet...and hope I get to do so again.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

The only one of Valerie's series I had never seen before was her 1995 sitcom The Office. Two episodes were just uploaded to YouTube. I thought they were very funny, especially the pilot. Only six episodes were produced and only five of those aired. It was given the unenviable time slot of Saturday night at 9:00. I wish CBS gave it more of a chance because I think this show showed a tremendous amount of promise. 

Pilot:

Episode #3:

• Like 1

Excited to watch these, especially with your recommendation. It's a shame Val never had a big hit after Rhoda; although her stint on Valerie/Valerie's Family/The Hogans/The Hogan Family was more than decent. It was at least successful enough that they decided (and were able) to continue without her. I've seen all of her episodes of that show, and a few with Sandy Duncan, but it was no classic. The few laughs I got out of that show were exclusively from her and Jason Bateman. I remember that she was supposed to play Matt LeBlanc's mother on Man With a Plan, but I'm pretty sure that never came to fruition. She deserved another star vehicle for TV, but then again, Mary never replicated her sitcom successes, either.