Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour Re-Release?

Do you now anything about the ratings for other years?

I think it's very interesting that they brought it back one more time in 1967 after a year off.

My theory: The fall schedule of 1965-66 was the year CBS went (mostly) all color and did not want to have a b/w series running, but there were howls of protest when we were denied our LDCH in the summer of '66. Assuming the ratings held up in 1965 (they ran it at 10:00, the latest it ever ran) CBS, as our tv critic put it, "trotted them out one more time" in the summer of '67.  Plus since CBS owned the series, it was essentially pure profit.  1967 was  the first time it was not a replacement for a show returning in the fall.  Error on wikipedia page.  It states that LDCH was COLORIZED for this run!      Interesting scheduling tidbit: CBS ran ILL on Friday at 8:30 during the summer of 1959, perhaps getting people used to seeing them on Friday.  In the fall, Desilu Playhouse took the time slot. That season contained 3 new hour shows that season along with a few reruns.  Its competition was the new, hot hip hit "77 Sunset Strip" on ABC.  I wonder how the LDCH Desilu Playhouse episodes did against this competition as compared to the poor showing of the Playhouse in general.

The order was the same every year. Lucy Wants a Career was last in 1963. 1965 was the only other year that didn't run all 13. They didn't show "Japan" and "Career."

And assuming summer ratings are counted when tallying up the standings for a given season, LDCH would certainly have made the top 10 for the 1961-62 season, which the summer debut of the specials as a series was officially a part of.  And "Glynis" might have made the top10,  20 or 30 for the 64-65 season.  Doubt "Vacation Playhouse" did all that well, but they kept bringing it back. The summer replacement concept was mostly phased out by the 70s.

Not sure if my memory is accurate but I think the end of each LDCH had a preview of next week;s show.  It would great to see those on some DVD release.

Amazing Paul Douglas was only 52 at the time of his death.  He doesn't really seem at home with this type of comedy.  Nor does he seem like a likely early morning TV host.  Arthur Godfrey or Garry Moore would have been  much better choices as guest star on that one.

The order was the same every year. Lucy Wants a Career was last in 1963. 1965 was the only other year that didn't run all 13. They didn't show "Japan" and "Career."

Archived