Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour Re-Release?

What flaws are you referring to?

Lucy's haircut is flawed yes, but . . . does that warrant a re release of her with longer hair tacked on in every scene? No, seriously, I find this would be a good thing, as I am watching the end of season six now on Comedy Gold, I find it quite a shame that the three years of The Lucy Desi Comedy Hour are NOT played right afterwards for the people who have never seen these. Of course THEY happen to show TWO ILL's in a row so they would then have their HOUR to show one each day. Sorry, just wishful thinking on my part.

I heard somewhere they were re-releasing The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour, since there were many flaws in the original set.

Anybody know if this is happening?

I havent heard of any flaws. I think the DVD releases of LDCH were almost better thn ILL, what with the information, bonuses and the AMAZING art work of the test cards and stick figure animation is really an added bonus. 

The cover art is gorgeous as well!, they wouldn't need to re release it, but if they did, itd only be adding onto the tip top treatment every one gave to the show and the DVDs :) 

Yeah.. there were flaws in the initial release.. the whole set up of Tallulah being allergic to strawberries in the dinner sceen.... and some parts cut out of the Betty Grable one and some cut out of the Ann Sothern one.. and I would assume others.. I don't know of any re release.. except for the "comic book" style releases.  They look like Roy Lichtenstein Pop Art to me.

There are also cast commercials from these episides that are missing from the current releases.

When these episodes and the half hours are released on blu-ray, I hope we will have the option to watch them with the original opening titles and commercials like the early seasons of "The Lucy Show."

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard rumors that the original network prints for each episode have been discovered and are appearing on an upcoming release. Only the Havana episode was the network version on the initial set. All the others were the Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour edits, which were all they could find at the time of release. The deleted scenes were taken from 16mm and tape backups.

If it's true that the network prints for the remaining episodes have been uncovered, that'd be terrific to see. But as it is they did a great job with what they had available.

I've heard rumors that the original network prints for each episode have been discovered and are appearing on an upcoming release. Only the Havana episode was the network version on the initial set. All the others were the Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour edits, which were all they could find at the time of release. The deleted scenes were taken from 16mm and tape backups.

If it's true that the network prints for the remaining episodes have been uncovered, that'd be terrific to see. But as it is they did a great job with what they had available.

Always something NEW being released to look forward to huh?

I told you, when beau moves back in here, he'll make copies of mine for ya. This might take a while but probably still be faster than waiting for them to actually come out.

Didn't I tell you? I ended up buying a copy of it! Haha! I figured $8 is easier than bugging a friend! I didn't wanna get annoying! Haha.

But now after getting it, I want a DVD release even more. To see it clear with great sound and uncut.

Didn't I tell you? I ended up buying a copy of it! Haha! I figured $8 is easier than bugging a friend! I didn't wanna get annoying! Haha.

But now after getting it, I want a DVD release even more. To see it clear with great sound and uncut.

The versions you have are cut? It was never syndicated so they should be the network prints.

The versions you have are cut? It was never syndicated so they should be the network prints.

I'm not sure whether they were network or the syndicated N@N ones. But there's some instances in the ones I have where it jumps or may start a little late from commercial break. I just wanna see this clear!

How many of them did you get?  My original eight were taped right from the tv and were pretty darn clear, however, I do admit the other five were so so copies..

How many of them did you get? My original eight were taped right from the tv and were pretty darn clear, however, I do admit the other five were so so copies..

I bought it in like May. I swear I told you. Hmm.. Weird! I have all 13. The best quality one is the first one of course and then they slowly get worse through the series. Haha.

Very true! It's especially hard to watch since we are so spoiled with our Lucy DVDs! Just imagine what they could go with LWL and the special features!

Oh I hear ya.  Those horrible copies of ILL that aired on that lousy religious channel were the worst, whereas the Comedy Gold ones are perfect.  WE DEFINITELY HAVE BEEN SPOILED WITH THESE NEW PERFECT DVD COPIES.

• 1 year later...

What's with the weird order CBS ran the Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour?

I checked our newspaper archives for the summer of 1962 (yes, I have too much time on my hands...).

12 of the 13 were run between July 1st and Sept. 16th.  Excluded: Paul Douglas.

This is the order they were run:

July: Danny Thomas, Havana, Betty Grable/Horse Race, Maurice Chevalier/Mexico, Milton Berle,

August: Alaska/Skelton, Tallulah, Fred MacMurray, Ernie Kovacs,

September: Sun Valley, Summer Vacation/Ida, Japan/Cummings.

By episode numbers: 7,1,4,6,11,8,2,3,13,5,10,12

I can see Danny as the opener, but why is Tallulah so far down the list?

I think this is the order they were run every summer but some summers they got the whole 13 in.

What's with the weird order CBS ran the Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour?

I checked our newspaper archives for the summer of 1962 (yes, I have too much time on my hands...).

12 of the 13 were run between July 1st and Sept. 16th.  Excluded: Paul Douglas.

This is the order they were run:

July: Danny Thomas, Havana, Betty Grable/Horse Race, Maurice Chevalier/Mexico, Milton Berle,

August: Alaska/Skelton, Tallulah, Fred MacMurray, Ernie Kovacs,

September: Sun Valley, Summer Vacation/Ida, Japan/Cummings.

By episode numbers: 7,1,4,6,11,8,2,3,13,5,10,12

I can see Danny as the opener, but why is Tallulah so far down the list?

I think this is the order they were run every summer but some summers they got the whole 13 in.

I think Danny was the opener because the series was the summer replacement for The Danny Thomas Show. The 1962 rerun ranked second for the week (Ben Casey was number one). I have no idea what the reasoning was for the airing order. I thought Paul Douglas' episode might have been skipped because he had died by that point, but Ernie Kovacs had also died and a lot more recently. Lucy Wants a Career got its first ever rebroadcast in 1963.

I think Danny was the opener because the series was the summer replacement for The Danny Thomas Show. The 1962 rerun ranked second for the week (Ben Casey was number one). I have no idea what the reasoning was for the airing order. I thought Paul Douglas' episode might have been skipped because he had died by that point, but Ernie Kovacs had also died and a lot more recently. Lucy Wants a Career got its first ever rebroadcast in 1963.

Do you know if the order was the same in 1963 (and the other years)?  Was Douglas the last one shown the summer of 63?

Pretty impressive the "Danny" was #2 for the week, probably higher rating than Danny's show. 

Do you know if the order was the same in 1963 (and the other years)? Was Douglas the last one shown the summer of 63?

Pretty impressive the "Danny" was #2 for the week, probably higher rating than Danny's show.

The order was the same every year. Lucy Wants a Career was last in 1963. 1965 was the only other year that didn't run all 13. They didn't show "Japan" and "Career."

Archived