'I Love Lucy' Christmas special on CBS: Dec. 7, 2014

Paul Sheehan

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always see extra large letters like that.

Well, i figured you're getting older now so the eyesight is usually the first thing to fail, LOL!  From now on, your brother will be a perfect example of new young people discovering the show now that it gets their attention IN C O L O R !  I say, i say in c o l o r!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Watched the show again tonight -- and gotta admit (shamelessly) that no matter how many times I see these programs, I enjoy  them all over again... They never fail to captivate me...

The Christmas episode, though not a typical LUCY misadventure, nevertheless draws me back in -- and the Ricardos' and Mertzes' reminiscing translates into my own reminiscing about the show...  Altho I was very young, I remember watching the baby shows the first time around.  I remember finding various LUCY merchandise under our Christmas tree including, yes, a first generation Little Ricky doll...

I've said it many times before, but I am so grateful that CBS is presenting these shows to a new audience and new generations with these Christmas broadcasts... In my wildest imagination, I never thought something like this would happen.  What a nice holiday present!

Merry Christmas everyone!

CLAUDE:

I think you're thinking of the scene where Ricky is ironing, and Fred enters the living room from the kitchen door, not the living room door, with the hallway, in the background. So, what you, probably saw was that broom closet/utility closet, in the kitchen.

If colorization helps get a 60+ year old show a few prime time airings on a major network each year, that's an impressive feat. In my case I tend to forget about the color (or black and white) and just get caught up watching the genius that is this woman. If more people feel the same way as a result of added color, then it's all worth it. We can always help them appreciate the art of black and white later lol.

If colorization helps get a 60+ year old show a few prime time airings on a major network each year, that's an impressive feat. In my case I tend to forget about the color (or black and white) and just get caught up watching the genius that is this woman. If more people feel the same way as a result of added color, then it's all worth it. We can always help them appreciate the art of black and white later lol.

Very well said, i just think the color makes us notice things we never did before.  And as long as the mistress of comedy gets new fans out of it, i'm all for it.  And, it gives us something else to look forward to at Christmas every year.  But i agree with you, black and white or color, nobody would be watching if it wasn't the Queen of comedy making the world laugh 60 years later.

Yeah, i think at one point Viv got so fed up with being called dowdy in her dressing that she went out of her way to match Lucille in looking more sophisticated and well dressed.

You could definitely see/notice this, especially in the later season's.

You could definitely see/notice this, especially in the later season's.

Not only that, look at some of Shel's pictures of Viv, she even did it in real life.  There's this one pic of Lucy and Viv with Gary Cooper and Viv is wearing this very modern, sophisticated dress that makes her look the epitomy of style.

Yeah, i think at one point Viv got so fed up with being called dowdy in her dressing that she went out of her way to match Lucille in looking more sophisticated and well dressed.  

So funny you would mention that- I was discussing with a friend just yesterday that, "dowding" down Viv mustve been difficult, because of her figure. 

So funny you would mention that- I was discussing with a friend just yesterday that, "dowding" down Viv mustve been difficult, because of her figure. 

Problem is, housewives dresses were pretty dowdy in the fifties, and she had a cheap husband on top of that, who would stop her from getting nice things.

I don't think anyone had posted this, so here is this...

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/12/25/tv-ratings-wednesday-its-a-wonderful-life-beats-i-love-lucy-christmas-special-repeats/343123/

Looks like the special was not only 2nd in its time slot behind "It's a Wonderful Life", but I believe it was also 2nd all night!

I don't think anyone had posted this, so here is this...

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/12/25/tv-ratings-wednesday-its-a-wonderful-life-beats-i-love-lucy-christmas-special-repeats/343123/

Looks like the special was not only 2nd in its time slot behind "It's a Wonderful Life", but I believe it was also 2nd all night!

I think CBS should have given equal billing to the fact that this was a new colorized episode and not just a Christmas special that they've seen over and over again and is not that funny to begin with.  I think they should have emphasized the color aspect more.  But that's still a great rating, and the Wonderful Life movie was already on for an hour when Lucy appeared.

Archived