The I Love Lucy Superstar Special -- Sunday, May 17 on CBS!

Desiluforever

As someone who grew up with black and white movies and reruns as part of his daily childhood life, it's just never been a problem for me. And admittedly, I have a hard time wrapping my head around it being a problem for anybody else. I know I'm being rather narrow-minded in this instance, but even with kids today being saturated with nothing but color images, I just can't wrap my head around those who refuse to watch B&W images. It's a concept I cannot grasp, no matter how often I'm reminded it's a reality. I just keep thinking that if they're exposed to it enough, they'll get used to it. But perhaps a "taste" of the show in color will be enough for some to rush out and buy the new Blu-Rays to experience more of it, just because it's funny.

Having grown up with B&W shows, I see where you're coming from.  But think about this:  When was the last time you watched a silent movie?  I didn't grow up with silent movies and, frankly, I have a hard time watching them.  I'm probably denying myself of seeing some cinematic masterpiece, but given the choice, I'm going to choose sound over silent.  I grew up watching Our Gang (The Little Rascals) on TV.  There were about ten year's worth of silent films in the Our Gang series, but I've had little interest in seeing any of them.  I think with younger generations and B&W, it's a similar thing.  As for "if they're exposed to it enough, they'll get used to it," keep in mind that this younger generation also grew up in the age of the remote control and hundreds of cable channels, Youtube, Facebook and every other distraction possible.  They don't spend more than a few seconds checking out something new.  If their instincts already have them wired with an aversion to B&W, they're not going to have the time or patience to get used to it.  Once they discover a show like I Love Lucy by seeing it in color, then they may come around and be open to seeing it in B&W.  But they have to discover it first.  Colorization is going to make that possible.  If it weren't for the efforts of Tom and his team, this show would eventually die off along with the rest of us.

• Like 1

Having grown up with B&W shows, I see where you're coming from.  But think about this:  When was the last time you watched a silent movie?  I didn't grow up with silent movies and, frankly, I have a hard time watching them.  I'm probably denying myself of seeing some cinematic masterpiece, but given the choice, I'm going to choose sound over silent.  I grew up watching Our Gang (The Little Rascals) on TV.  There were about ten year's worth of silent films in the Our Gang series, but I've had little interest in seeing any of them.  I think with younger generations and B&W, it's a similar thing.  As for "if they're exposed to it enough, they'll get used to it," keep in mind that this younger generation also grew up in the age of the remote control and hundreds of cable channels, Youtube, Facebook and every other distraction possible.  They don't spend more than a few seconds checking out something new.  If their instincts already have them wired with an aversion to B&W, they're not going to have the time or patience to get used to it.  Once they discover a show like I Love Lucy by seeing it in color, then they may come around and be open to seeing it in B&W.  But they have to discover it first.  Colorization is going to make that possible.  If it weren't for the efforts of Tom and his team, this show would eventually die off along with the rest of us.

Yes, I understand everything you say. I have seen portions of silent movies and I do admire and enjoy some of them, but you're right in that I don't make an effort to seek them out all that often. I could go all Norma Desmond here ("We didn't need words, we had faces!"), but I won't, because it wouldn't be true for me. 

I suppose discovery is the key point. As long as it'll expose the show to people who otherwise wouldn't have heard of it. I'm personally not that into "Smart TVs" because I think they offer too many chances for distraction. It's all to easy to press a button on the remote and switch to some app. Best to have as few distractions as possible and just enjoy the show at hand, but I know that's rare in this day and age. Especially since you can have the picture in one corner, your sports scores in another, the weather down below, the CNN crawl feed at the bottom, Kim Kardashian's bathroom cam to the right, and so on and so forth. I don't go for all of that but I know a lot do.

Like I said, I just hope it encourages people to buy the blu-rays. Incidentally, did any commercials for season 2 air during the program?

• Like 1

Incidentally, did any commercials for season 2 air during the program?

No... The set is not on the market yet, and we did not want to promote it two months early. (That was another reason we were originally hoping to do this broadcast in July.)  Plus, we wanted to devote as much time as possible to the two great shows.  The modern broadcast hour runs approximately 45 minutes, give or take a few seconds.  Our two original shows ran something like 51 minutes, give or take... Ouch! That meant 6 minutes needed to be trimmed...

One of the things we all hated to cut was the opening to "LA at Last."  Rick Carl did a mountain of research for us, providing color information for ALL THE CARS ON THE FREEWAY !!!, as well as the neighborhood around the hotel, etc.  Unfortunately, the sequence runs something like 40 seconds, and we could not justify leaving that in, and cutting out 40 other seconds of Lucy, Ricky, Fred and Ethel... Happily, all of the footage will be included on any future DVD or Blu-ray releases of these episodes.

No... The set is not on the market yet, and we did not want to promote it two months early. (That was another reason we were originally hoping to do this broadcast in July.)  Plus, we wanted to devote as much time as possible to the two great shows.  The modern broadcast hour runs approximately 45 minutes, give or take a few seconds.  Our two original shows ran something like 51 minutes, give or take... Ouch! That meant 6 minutes needed to be trimmed...

One of the things we all hated to cut was the opening to "LA at Last."  Rick Carl did a mountain of research for us, providing color information for ALL THE CARS ON THE FREEWAY !!!, as well as the neighborhood around the hotel, etc.  Unfortunately, the sequence runs something like 40 seconds, and we could not justify leaving that in, and cutting out 40 other seconds of Lucy, Ricky, Fred and Ethel... Happily, all of the footage will be included on any future DVD or Blu-ray releases of these episodes.

Well, at least his research won't be wasted for future releases. Colors for all the cars on the freeway? That's dedication!

Yes, I understand everything you say. I have seen portions of silent movies and I do admire and enjoy some of them, but you're right in that I don't make an effort to seek them out all that often. I could go all Norma Desmond here ("We didn't need words, we had faces!"), but I won't, because it wouldn't be true for me.

Oh come on, let out.  Go all Norman Desmond on us.  :)  But please do spare us the Kim Kardashian.

LittleRickyII, on 20 May 2015 - 05:46 AM, said:

Oh come on, let out.  Go all Norman Desmond on us.  :)  But please do spare us the Kim Kardashian.

:hlLOL: !!

"There was a time in this business when the whole world was seen in black and white. But that wasn't good enough for them, oho no! They had to have the colors of the world too!"

Just kidding ;)

• Like 1

One option for releasing the two new color shows could have been including a special dvd with the new I Love Lucy Mother's Day dvd edtion. Like Target did with the color Job Switching episode included with the Colorized Christmas dvd back in December 2014. I look forward to some kind of dvd or blu ray release of the  two new color shows in the future.

I suppose discovery is the key point. As long as it'll expose the show to people who otherwise wouldn't have heard of it. I'm personally not that into "Smart TVs" because I think they offer too many chances for distraction. It's all to easy to press a button on the remote and switch to some app. Best to have as few distractions as possible and just enjoy the show at hand, but I know that's rare in this day and age. Especially since you can have the picture in one corner, your sports scores in another, the weather down below, the CNN crawl feed at the bottom, Kim Kardashian's bathroom cam to the right, and so on and so forth. I don't go for all of that but I know a lot do.

Like I said, I just hope it encourages people to buy the blu-rays. Incidentally, did any commercials for season 2 air during the program?

I've seen my share of silent movies and I have to say that I'm probably not getting the full effect. You see these documentaries of Old Hollywood veterans talking about the genius of DW Griffith and Von Stroheim, but I don't see anything particularly great about any of them. The two best silent movies I've seen have got to be The Passion of Joan of Ark and Greed.

• Like 1

Ok I'm going to admit this here.

In my one and only film class I had to take for my TV major we watched all kinds of weird and some times interesting stuff. My ears perked up when I heard we were going to watch something by German cinematographer Karl Freund.   No background on him or anything but I knew who he was.  Well it was one of his silent films from back in Germany.  So that we would pay more attention to the images and not anything else they turned off the music.  It had promise but sorry to admit I fell asleep in the middle of it.  I did have a problem with that in this class.  Comfy auditorium chairs, dark room, class right after lunch.   It was very German from what I remember.

I've seen my share of silent movies and I have to say that I'm probably not getting the full effect. You see these documentaries of Old Hollywood veterans talking about the genius of DW Griffith and Von Stroheim, but I don't see anything particularly great about any of them. The two best silent movies I've seen have got to be The Passion of Joan of Ark and Greed.

Seek out "Sunset".... I'm certainly no aficionado of silent films but this is a gem! 

Summary/description: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/sunrise/

923216_ori.jpg

Ok I'm going to admit this here.

In my one and only film class I had to take for my TV major we watched all kinds of weird and some times interesting stuff. My ears perked up when I heard we were going to watch something by German cinematographer Karl Freund.   No background on him or anything but I knew who he was.  Well it was one of his silent films from back in Germany.  So that we would pay more attention to the images and not anything else they turned off the music.  It had promise but sorry to admit I fell asleep in the middle of it.  I did have a problem with that in this class.  Comfy auditorium chairs, dark room, class right after lunch.   It was very German from what I remember.

There's nothing wrong with falling asleep during a silent movie! I totally understand- however, I do not feel the same way about anyone who falls asleep during something 'old'.

• Like 1

Why couldn't Lucy and Carolyn have a combined birthday party? Did those exist back then? lol. My mom and her younger sister were born 366 days apart and ALWAYS shared a birthday and had one big party. They were born in 1959 and 1960 (about 2 weeks after the final LDCH aired).

I have always wondered the same thing... particularly since Carolyn wound up assisting at Little Ricky's party, and there's a good chance that Lucy would have later assisted at Stevie's...

I'm guessing kids liked to have their own parties -- i.e., be the center of attention, etc. If gifts were brought, the guests would have had to have brought two gifts instead of one, etc.

But, yeah, I have always thought they could have combined the parties -- and I don't think that would have ruined the rest of the LUCY plot... 

Good point tjw. I wonder how Carolyn ended up helping Lucy at the party? And how did you choose the colors of the balloons?

2 of my youngest cousins also graduated the same year but we had separate parties--mainly because they went to different schools. One was public the other was Catholic. At one of my cousin's, we had a combined party with his best friend from school, because the friend didn't have a huge family. It was kind of fun actually. Until it started downpouring. ugh! I have 2 other cousins who were born within 4 months of each other, the first being born November 28th, then the 2nd being born in March. But my aunt decided the November kid should still be a year ahead. Lol my other aunt just couldn't be pregnant by herself, her sister in law kept stealing her thunder. XD By the 2nd babies though, the latter got pregnant last, 5 months later.

Also, how do you know what color Lucy's dress originally was in Act 3 of Superman? In Enciente, the dress she wore to the Tropicana was gray, despite the "Barbie Doll" version of her in that episode having a teal dress. I wish we could see some color episodes of TLS season 1. There are a couple color stills from a few episodes like Antenna, Lucy's Sister, and even one from Sheep. But in season 2 I think they were still adapting to the change because it still looked kind of bland in the background, and they overdid it with Lucy and Viv's eyeshadow and lipstick. haha

• Like 1

Good point tjw. I wonder how Carolyn ended up helping Lucy at the party? And how did you choose the colors of the balloons?

2 of my youngest cousins also graduated the same year but we had separate parties--mainly because they went to different schools. One was public the other was Catholic. At one of my cousin's, we had a combined party with his best friend from school, because the friend didn't have a huge family. It was kind of fun actually. Until it started downpouring. ugh!

Also, how do you know what color Lucy's dress originally was in Act 3 of Superman? In Enciente, the dress she wore to the Tropicana was gray, despite the "Barbie Doll" version of her in that episode having a teal dress. I wish we could see some color episodes of TLS season 1. There are a couple color stills from a few episodes like Antenna, Lucy's Sister, and even one from Sheep. But in season 2 I think they were still adapting to the change because it still looked kind of bland in the background, and they overdid it with Lucy and Viv's eyeshadow and lipstick. haha

Forgive me I just need to correct something. Lucy's dress in "Lucy Is Enciente" was actually brown. Theres a pic of it somewhere here. That dress was given to Carol Cook by Lucy.