New Lucy Books

Mister Hepburn

On my Sunday morning excursion downtown . . . came across a new Cary Grant bio called EVENINGS WITH CARY GRANT sharing remembrances of the great actor icon. There are several Lucy references of course but the best story comes from gary, of all people . . . Merv Griffin tells the story of inviting a few people over for the weekend in Carmel i think it was . . . Lucy and gary, Cary, Barbara and their daughter, and a few other people including Clint Eastwood who lived there. Seems Clint told Merv that he had better NOT be kidding about Cary being there, having always wanted to meet him. And apparently, Cary felt the same way about him, calling him one of the best director actors in the business. Seems they BOTH went to gary for fashion advice, not knowing what to wear for the meeting . . . Cary had been wearing caftans the whole weekend, as did his wife and his daughter BUT he did not seem to think that was appropriate dress for meeting Clint. Gary advised them both to dress casual, sports jacket, nice slacks, sport shirt, opened etc . . so the two legends met, complimented each other and all went well. Who knew gary excelled at fashion consulting? No wonder Lucy said he would pick out her clothes in later years.

Another great story in the book comes from songwriter and Broadway legend Cy Coleman who wrote the music for Lucy's WILDCAT. He says that Cary, as well as Lucy were not great singers but that people weren't looking for great singing from them, they were just thrilled to see Cary Grant or Lucille Ball singing, their personalities and legendary status was what people looked to them for when they sang.

Going on a book buying binge lately but of older now reduced titles. Always wanted that Kitty Kelly bio of Sinatra and got it today. Two Lucy mentions in that one. When ABC cancelled Sinatra's show, he said he hated the fric frac of tv as he called it and then added one of his most famous quotes about Lucy . . .Lucy can have it! The other one was when he owned a hotel in Vegas and kept inviting Hollywood big shots to stay there on his dime . . . they could even gamble and he apparently took big losses because of his generosity. He loved having big important Hollywood people at ringside for the shows he did there. I know Lucy was a huge Sinatra fan and she enjoyed going to his many parties as a good time was always had by all as Frank was incredibly generous.

Going on a book buying binge lately but of older now reduced titles. Always wanted that Kitty Kelly bio of Sinatra and got it today. Two Lucy mentions in that one. When ABC cancelled Sinatra's show, he said he hated the fric frac of tv as he called it and then added one of his most famous quotes about Lucy . . .Lucy can have it! The other one was when he owned a hotel in Vegas and kept inviting Hollywood big shots to stay there on his dime . . . they could even gamble and he apparently took big losses because of his generosity. He loved having big important Hollywood people at ringside for the shows he did there. I know Lucy was a huge Sinatra fan and she enjoyed going to his many parties as a good time was always had by all as Frank was incredibly generous.

Nobody is suggesting that Lucy begged for anything, Sinatra just knew how to throw a great party and everybody enjoyed themselves thoroughly. He wanted BIG NAMES and nobody's was bigger than Lucy's so he asked her a lot and she went because she enjoyed loved and respected his talents and really liked having a great time.

Thanks for sharing these tidbits from the books, Claude! I love those kind of behind-the-scene stories, especially when I haven't heard them before, like those you posted. :)

Every time i go into a BOOKstore, i go to biographies and look up the index to see if Lucy's in there. Found a Judy Garland coffee table type one yesterday that had many Lucy mentions. People keep saying Lucy hated Judy and would have her taken off when playing on records. BUT, that was after she heard all those negative stories from Liza on how she put her kids through hell with her money problems, sneaking out of hotels with all their clothes on so they could skip the bill and Liza having to work for years just to pay off her mom's debts. Lucy actually admired Judy for her great talent. She was in the audience for her first CBS show and was photographed with her many many times, Lucy admired Judy's quick wit too. There was that one instance of them goofing around dancing together. In that famous MGM photo of all their stars together, Lucy's in the front row but Judy like Cark Gable and a few others never bothered showing up for the photo.

Where did I read about Shirley Booth, and how her decision to sign on with Hazel was looked down upon by her former co-star, Burt Lancaster (they were together in "Come Back, Little Sheba"). He said it was a major comedown for an actress of her stature, but she countered with, "if it's good enough for Lucy, it's good enough for me." Anybody remember the story? And it certainly did turn out to be a good career move for Shirley--she won at least two Emmys for the show, and it also made her financially secure for the rest of her life!

Where did I read about Shirley Booth, and how her decision to sign on with Hazel was looked down upon by her former co-star, Burt Lancaster (they were together in "Come Back, Little Sheba"). He said it was a major comedown for an actress of her stature, but she countered with, "if it's good enough for Lucy, it's good enough for me." Anybody remember the story? And it certainly did turn out to be a good career move for Shirley--she won at least two Emmys for the show, and it also made her financially secure for the rest of her life!

And there's only so many movie parts for a dumpy middle aged woman. She was 64 when Hazel began (according to her newly revealed DOB as 1897). Two of her stage roles were taken by Katharine Hepburn in the movies: "The Desk Set" and "Summertime"--done on stage by Shirley as "Time of the Cuckoo"--a title that makes little sense to me.

The story first appeared in a Booth profile written for the fan/collector publication CLASSIC IMAGES back in the 1990's by a writer named Kevin Minton and later appeared in the Booth biography by Jim Manago. Minton interviewed several people who worked with Shirley and Lancaster recounted meeting her again after hearing she had been signed for tv's HAZEL and telling her "I thought TV would cheapen her." Shirley graciously but pointedly replied, " Time will tell if it cheapens me and if it does, I hope to be as cheapened as Lucy." Burt Lancaster wryiy added "Point taken!"

Shirley Booth was certainly the biggest rival Lucy ever had as a sitcom queen in terms of popularity during TLS show years, winning TV Radio Mirror's most popular actress and the Emmy for Best Series Actress over Lucy; that year Miss Booth graciously commented in her acceptance speech, "Boy, I was in some category you know. Some wonderful gals in there" (the other nominees were Lucy, Irene Ryan, Mary Tyler Moore, and one Shirl Conway from THE NURSES, never saw that show.)

The Manago book incidentally is mostly illustrated of stills from Thomas J. Watson's personal collection of Miss Booth.

Never heard it before, that i can remember, but Lucy herself hated that Tinseltown looking down on tv people as opposed to movie people. Never liked Burt Lancaster, now i know why, LOL! Forgive me but wasn't HE one of the stars in that Lucy show with the premiere? I've told this story a thousand times but Lucy, on Mike Douglas, coming back fom commercial, is heard telling him it's different in Hollywood from his show's run in Philadelphia and she mentions exactly what you said, that tv people were considered below movie people in that bastion of good taste and depravity called Hollyweird. The last part is totally mine, not Lucy's, LOL!

And there's only so many movie parts for a dumpy middle aged woman. She was 64 when Hazel began (according to her newly revealed DOB as 1897). Two of her stage roles were taken by Katharine Hepburn in the movies: "The Desk Set" and "Summertime"--done on stage by Shirley as "Time of the Cuckoo"--a title that makes little sense to me.

So true, not only was she too old for films, with limited work, but she also added overweight and unglamorous. But she was so perfect for hazel, natural and real, amazing really. AND if you ever saw her all dolled up, she looked like a Queen. Remember that THING where she and Lucy both got awards?

The story first appeared in a Booth profile written for the fan/collector publication CLASSIC IMAGES back in the 1990's by a writer named Kevin Minton and later appeared in the Booth biography by Jim Manago. Minton interviewed several people who worked with Shirley and Lancaster recounted meeting her again after hearing she had been signed for tv's HAZEL and telling her "I thought TV would cheapen her." Shirley graciously but pointedly replied, " Time will tell if it cheapens me and if it does, I hope to be as cheapened as Lucy." Burt Lancaster wryiy added "Point taken!"

Shirley Booth was certainly the biggest rival Lucy ever had as a sitcom queen in terms of popularity during TLS show years, winning TV Radio Mirror's most popular actress and the Emmy for Best Series Actress over Lucy; that year Miss Booth graciously commented in her acceptance speech, "Boy, I was in some category you know. Some wonderful gals in there" (the other nominees were Lucy, Irene Ryan, Mary Tyler Moore, and one Shirl Conway from THE NURSES, never saw that show.)

The Manago book incidentally is mostly illustrated of stills from Thomas J. Watson's personal collection of Miss Booth.

Damned Hollywood and their concentration on LOOKS and IMAGE instead of acting ability, Irene Ryan NEVER got the recognition she so richly deserved and at my house, we never missed Shirley's show. We loved her on tv but hated her in those boring movies where she played down and out losers. You see, her acceptance speech at the Emmys shows she was as beautiful INSIDE and so so genuine in everything she did.