New Lucy Books

Mister Hepburn

For you Joyce, as per your PM to me . . . Ted Sennett's GREAT HOLLYWOOD MOVIES and the other great one is also by him, Ted Sennett's HOLLYWOOD MUSICALS, I'm trying to find the years . . . ..........................................ok, found them, '81 for the Musical one and '83 for the movie one.

Thanks, guy; and stay strong; I know you will....JK

Lam, I only edit for spelling errors so I have no idea what you are talking about.  Hep, I don't get how you cannot stand whatever I said about Bacall, but I apologize if you were that upset.  Next time, PM me and I will delete whatever I said.  Now back to you Joy, did I mention Broadway to Hollywood, from '85, at least six or eight Lucy mentions and great shots from MAME, all these books still seem to give HER great reviews if not the film.  Author of that one is Thomas G Aylesworth by the way.

Found a new Magazine that just hit the newsstands (June '14).  It's called Hollywood Legends, a compilation of the photos of Sid Avery, subtitled SNAPSHOTS OF AN ENTIRE GENERATION OF SCREEN LEGENDS.  I looked for Lucy of course and was shocked to find the Hollywood Legend in her case is I Love Lucy.  They show a photo of three of the cast members from the one where Lucy is dancing with the dummy, pretending it's her old boyfriend with Lucy looking great and Des and Bill looking on, Viv was in the back, remember?  It's 2 pages and here's the accompanying copy . . . .  I LOVE LUCY.  This was the hottest duo on television and the biggest threat to the film companies.  I just like this shot - the fact that she's dancing with a mannequin - and makes for good composition.  Lucille Ball, Desi Arnaz and William Frawley photographed in a scene for I Love Lucy.  For the Saturday Evening Post article.  "Look what TV's doing to Hollywood." February 1953.

Thought id pass this information on for Claude. The Paula Stewart book, the book that never came to be, was being coauthored by Laurie Jacobson who's husband was the boy on Lassie. She is also friends with Larry Anderson. Anyway, she has made a couple of posts about the experience. She refers to Paula as "colorful" then goes on to say "Colorful? Who am I kidding? The woman is a freaking rainbow". On Lucy's 100 birthday she made another post about the few times she saw Lucy. One such time during a Life with Lucy taping. She was in the audience and Gary came out and "warmed up" the show. She thought he seemed nice enough at the time but later found out "what a shmuck " he was from Paula. Said she got some GREAT stories from Paula.

Unfortunate, as her NOT coming out with the book when she has all those great stories and HER OWN assessment of gary, makes me think she was the one that was wrong in the famous Lee Tannen story about her and that's why she won't come out and admit it, LOL!  But hey, that's just me and my suspicious mind, LOL!  If she was a friend of Lucy's for decades, that's good enough for me to respect her.  Where did she make those posts you mention Desilu2?  As for her introducing Lucy and gary, he might have been bad for her in many ways but he also was good for her, especially at that particular time of her life.

THE MOVIE MAKERS, The lives & films of more than 2500 stars, supporting actors and directors who have made motion picture history.  By Sol Chaneles and Albert Wolsky from 1974.  A coffee table size book that has four Lucy mentions, with pictures.  Four mentions are for Stage Door, Bill Frawley, Dubarry was a Lady and Ann Sothern.

MOVIE STAR, A look at the women who made Hollywood.  By Ethan Mordden from 1983, ironically also the author of Best Foot Forward:  The history of American Musical Theatre.  Lucy has an entire section on her here, from pages 135 to 139.  Lucy always mentioned as an American trailblazer for women, then films and then television, likened to the great Gracie Allen among others.  After their mention, the book goes on to another movie star who is best remembered for television, Eve Arden's Our Miss Brooks.  It is singled out that Lucy got her best role from her idol Carole Lombard introducing her to author Damon Runyon.  Lucy might not have gotten an Oscar nomination for The Big Street, which she deserved, but it got he a contract in the best movie star showcase in Hollywood, MGM.

MOVIE STAR, A look at the women who made Hollywood.  By Ethan Mordden from 1983, ironically also the author of Best Foot Forward:  The history of American Musical Theatre.  Lucy has an entire section on her here, from pages 135 to 139.  Lucy always mentioned as an American trailblazer for women, then films and then television, likened to the great Gracie Allen among others.  After their mention, the book goes on to another movie star who is best remembered for television, Eve Arden's Our Miss Brooks.  It is singled out that Lucy got her best role from her idol Carole Lombard introducing her to author Damon Runyon.  Lucy might not have gotten an Oscar nomination for The Big Street, which she deserved, but it got he a contract in the best movie star showcase in Hollywood, MGM.

Thanks for these, guy; loving you, JK

gary, he might have been bad for her in many ways but he also was good for her, especially at that particular time of her life.

WHO are you and what have you done with Claude??

she thought Gary was a schmuck. She's the one that introduced those two

Maybe she said "I know a schmuck who would be just PERFECT for you!"

A couple friends and I spent an afternoon with Paula and I found her charming and delightful.

Yes, Paula was probably at fault, at least the way Lee tells the story, but he goes into too much "thou protesteth too much" detail justifying his outburst.  It's that tirade that scared Lucy away, not him being miffed at Paula. Probably an over-reaction.  I saw his play (my review: "meh") and I'm surprised Paula didn't contact a lawyer.

Wow, that was better than many of the books I've read on Lucy, LOL!  Re:  your remark about my being nice about gary, I've decided I will stop attacking people, and be more fair in my assessments of them.  Gary had good and bad points, as we all do.  Michael Jackson only played with those kids in his bed.  And five time Tony winner Angela Landsbury isn't that bad for an old crone.  Ok, I never said I would be perfect.

• Like 1

Thought id pass this information on for Claude. The Paula Stewart book, the book that never came to be, was being coauthored by Laurie Jacobson who's husband was the boy on Lassie. She is also friends with Larry Anderson. Anyway, she has made a couple of posts about the experience. She refers to Paula as "colorful" then goes on to say "Colorful? Who am I kidding? The woman is a freaking rainbow". On Lucy's 100 birthday she made another post about the few times she saw Lucy. One such time during a Life with Lucy taping. She was in the audience and Gary came out and "warmed up" the show. She thought he seemed nice enough at the time but later found out "what a shmuck " he was from Paula. Said she got some GREAT stories from Paula.

Thanks for the great info. Does this means the book isn't going to happen? I was really looking forward to it :(

me too. I talked with her some time ago and she told me things were almost done. Same thing I heard about Frank's book. I gave him a picture of he and Lucy to use for it, but no word on that as of yet. 

With audio book production SOARING and places like iTunes and audible.com providing audio books- these great folks should look into making an audio book of their work so far- its easier and cheaper and has a faster turn around time.

Same here, I was so looking forward to books from those two insiders, Frank and Paula, really sad about not getting them after all.

Hmm Paula's website (admittedly with a questionable updated date) says that the book is still coming. Surely if she was so close to finishing it she wouldn't just abandon the whole project? Perhaps I misunderstood Desilufan - maybe the book just hadn't come to be yet but may still be coming? From a women who has appeared to trade on celebrity frame, I'd be very surprised if she doesn't want this book to come out. I'm desperate for the stories about Gary (and hoping she has a few about Desi). I believe Gary said to her after Lucy's death that she was happy now, she was with Desi. Paula must have a wealth of information.

Wasn't it something like AT LEAST, THEY'RE TOGETHER NOW, that gary supposedly said at Lucy's ashes being put into the small opening that said MORTON in the front, I thought only the kids and their spouses were there, as well as gary of course, so did one of them confide to Paula what gary had said?

Haven't heard that version Claude. This is from TV guide although lots of sources and a couple of books have said this true. Apparently Gary did say it to Paula. I would LOVE to know more about Gary and how he felt about Desi and the kind of person her really was. Frank and Wanda have a giggle at his incompetence on Stu's Show. Wanda mention's he was jealous of Desi and that she had no doubt her and Desi still loved each other. Frank also told a great story about Gary calling, Frank telling Lucy he husband was calling and Lucy saying which one. Plus Wanda mentioned she LOVED getting Desi's flowers although she wasn't too keen on fans sending flowers overall apparently. Plus there was Lee's great story about her flipping out at the Kennedy Center awards and yelling at him about getting old and people you love dying. So many people close to her seem to think they did but not much is said as to how Gary must have felt and coped with that. Plus quite a number of people have suggested he was a schmuck (or a cheater) but not many people have said why. I want the WHY!  

Lucy's Dark Side
tv-guide-news.jpg
May 11, 2000 04:00 AM ET
by Rich Brown

Ten years after Lucille Ball's death, friends and family still marvel at the secret sadness that surrounded America's favorite redhead.

The I Love Lucy star was apparently so broken up by her 1960 divorce from former co-starDesi Arnaz that she couldn't even look at him on reruns of their popular sitcom, cousinCleo Smith tells Talk magazine.

Lucy's second husband, the late Gary Morton, once told pal Paula Stewart that the famous funny girl never got over her love for Desi. "After she died, [Gary] said to me, 'I guess she's happy now; she's with Desi,'&nbsp" says Stewart.

"I grew up watching two gigantic stars have all the fame there is, all the money they needed, and they still weren't happy," adds daughter Lucie Arnaz. "They had the best life ever, according to what people think. And yet my father was still an alcoholic. My mother was very angry all the time. She was not a peaceful person."

Lucie remembers once making the mistake of telling her difficult mom that she was seeing a therapist. "She wigged out," recalls Arnaz. "I ended up having to pack up my kids, leave Palm Springs. It was a nightmare. We didn't speak for weeks and weeks.

"She wasn't able to really be open, close, intimate with a lot of people," she adds. "That was a negative ? for her and for what we lost as a family." 

• Like 1

Wellllllllllllllllllllllllllllll, you can find out lots about gary from various books.  I still remember when we heard Lucy's NEW husband was going to do his stand up comedy act on Sullivan.  The audience was finally going to see Desi's replacement and he was just so so.  That and being Mr Ball, as Desi had been, could not have been easy for any man.  Then, although she had his monogram everywhere in her houses and asked his opinion of any major decision, let's not kid ourselves, SHE RULED!  Anybody that worked with him seems to think he was incapable of doing almost anything.  It's been said that SHE gave him class, no argument there.  There was his cheapness, serving beer at wrap up parties instead of the champagne that Desi provided.  Rafayel's book is the one that mentions his cheating try while in London, when the famous ladies offered sex, he was afraid it would get back to Lucy so he said a blow job would have been ok.  That famous green stamp story, Desilu employees got free trading stamps at the garage they were using and he wanted to get his hands on them.  He asked for HIS cut out of everything that was ever offered her.  Then again, he provided stability, protected her, was good to her kids, was always nicely dressed and collected watches and cars.  If she was busy working, she knew she could count on him to do certain things.  I still admit I would have loved seeing him on The Lucy show as her boyfriend but I guess she was too loyal to Desi to permit more than a guest shot.  We might have liked him more had he been on her shows.  There was that one time after she died where he went to Sinatra's house to badmouth her.  Made a nice speech for her when he accepted her Governors award Emmy though.  And he DID have a nice appearance, holding her hand, proving to HER contemporaries that she could have a successful marriage.

"The NEW Claude Show'....

(and you know what happens when NEW is added to a title: (The NEW Bob Cummings Show, The NEW Phil Silvers Show, The NEW Odd Couple, etc..  Was any show with NEW in the title differentiating from a previous hit, a success?)

I'm guessing that this new evenhanded approach to Gary is the result of new medication.   I WANT SOME.  In Canada, is it sold 1) over the counter; 2)with a doctor's prescription; or 3) by some "private street vendor" you know through your connections with the mayor's office.   Do you swallow, snort, shoot or smoke it? OR does it comes in suppository form only?.....Please advise.

Wellllllllllllllllllllllllllllll, you can find out lots about gary from various books.  I still remember when we heard Lucy's NEW husband was going to do his stand up comedy act on Sullivan.  The audience was finally going to see Desi's replacement and he was just so so.  That and being Mr Ball, as Desi had been, could not have been easy for any man.  Then, although she had his monogram everywhere in her houses and asked his opinion of any major decision, let's not kid ourselves, SHE RULED!  Anybody that worked with him seems to think he was incapable of doing almost anything.  It's been said that SHE gave him class, no argument there.  There was his cheapness, serving beer at wrap up parties instead of the champagne that Desi provided.  Rafayel's book is the one that mentions his cheating try while in London, when the famous ladies offered sex, he was afraid it would get back to Lucy so he said a blow job would have been ok.  That famous green stamp story, Desilu employees got free trading stamps at the garage they were using and he wanted to get his hands on them.  He asked for HIS cut out of everything that was ever offered her.  Then again, he provided stability, protected her, was good to her kids, was always nicely dressed and collected watches and cars.  If she was busy working, she knew she could count on him to do certain things.  I still admit I would have loved seeing him on The Lucy show as her boyfriend but I guess she was too loyal to Desi to permit more than a guest shot.  We might have liked him more had he been on her shows.  There was that one time after she died where he went to Sinatra's house to badmouth her.  Made a nice speech for her when he accepted her Governors award Emmy though.  And he DID have a nice appearance, holding her hand, proving to HER contemporaries that she could have a successful marriage.

his new even-handed demeanor....