New Lucy Books

Mister Hepburn

OUR GLORIOUS CENTURY 1994, REISSUED 1996.  I don't understand what you mean by these TWO Volumes.  As I've been trying to put on the dates, JUST FOR YOU, in all of the book references lately.

Thanks, guy; the other one would be the Readers' Digest one you mentioned above O.G.C. one; thanks if you can get a date of that; in O.G.C., 1996, is there a month and day of issue?  How about for the 1994 issue?  Thanks for looking....Loving you, JK

P.S.   Under New :Lucy books heading; I am presently getting family permissions for my epic, as Lucie calls it; hopefully, we will have that off to publisher, for their editing purposes, etc., soon - they would like to have the manuscript by 4/1 - I don't know....

In spite of a storm, yes, again, will this winter EVER end?  I still managed to go out and find one Lucy book.  It's called THE TV ADDICT'S NOSTALGIA TRIVIA AND QUIZ BOOK.  OMG, I just saw the author, it's Bart Andrews, from '78, although this is a new edition in '84.  Lucy is on the cover as the Queen of the Gypsies along with 14 other tv stars.  There's Lucy on the cover of the very first TV Guide and even an I Love Lucy quiz in there.

Simply MUST HAVE the dates for this one; one of our Lucy authors!!!!  WOW!

Honey, the Reader's Digest one IS the one that's titled Our Glorious Century, it was from Reader's Digest but focused on one century.  As for Mr Andrews' great book, The TV Addict's blah blah blah is from '78, reissued in '84, I think I stated that already and no, they don't include a day or month, just the year for all of them.  Congrats on finally being DONE with YOUR book. 

In a second hand shoppe, I was able to get, for the second time, have no idea what I did with the first one, probably gave it away as usual, LIFE magazine's Most Remarkable Women from 1976 with Lucy on the cover.  I was looking for any issue with her on the cover but came up empty, this one was a very special issue.

THIS is the 'other one I am interested in the date for, as well, if you have it; 1976; but, hould have a date published inside cover somewhere; thanks if you can find a publishing date other than just year.  JK 

Honey, the Reader's Digest one IS the one that's titled Our Glorious Century, it was from Reader's Digest but focused on one century.  As for Mr Andrews' great book, The TV Addict's blah blah blah is from '78, reissued in '84, I think I stated that already and no, they don't include a day or month, just the year for all of them.  Congrats on finally being DONE with YOUR book. 

Don't know about DONE - DesiluToo is raising all kinds of questions about accuracy of dates found on Internet, etc.

Sorry, must have misunderstood one of your posts, thought you were saying something like you were sending a draft to the publisher or something.  As for Desilu 2, I'm not surprised.  But it's certainly not something THEY would have ever done on their own, so they should be thankful YOU did all this work for their parents' legacy.  LIFE, SPECIAL REPORT $2.00 Lucy's face on cover, from her MGM days, photo shoot for LIFE showing her in her dressing room posing on divan.  Others on cover, Harriet Beecher Stowe, Ethel Barrymore, Billie Jean King and LUCY.  1976 Time Inc.  No other date shown as this is a SPECIAL issue and not a weekly one.  1000 women were chosen, then it was narrowed down to 300, then to the final 166 remarkable women.  That's all they had room for.  They are saluted as independent spirits who broke free from passive, home hugging stereotypes, and made a difference in American life.  

• 1 month later...

The Book of Unusual Knowledge, 2012, a series of several books of various subject matter.  But this one has a Lucy mention.  It tells the story of how Lucy commented on the Reagan victory at the polls saying she remembered the night he had been late to a party she attended and told the story of having seen a flying saucer.  So she wondered if he would have indeed won the election if people had heard his story of having seen a flying saucer.

No problems at this point in time, with Desilu Two; Lucie has, kindly, given permission to publish to the iUniverse contact person, in writing, and I have a copy.

What she is concerned about is that 'folks' who read it will consider it their 'bible' - I stated to her I would, of course, be including a disclaimer it's the best I can do with the material available to compile such work, and there would be NO salacious material; and that seemed to satisfy her. 

The wording to the publisher in her letter stated what she and I spoke of, and she said, "I don't plan to stop her, even not being able to verify every thing included.'  I thought that very generous of Lucie, and appreciate it very much.  JK

• Like 1

How on earth could she ever stop you anyway?  It'll be a ONE OF A KIND tome of so much information, nobody else took all that time to compile.

I can't imagine myself NOT asking the heirs' permission; and iUniverse wanted 'something' in writing that says they 'knew' of this (as Lucie puts it:  'epic').  Hope to VERY SOON get this thing off to publisher.  It's going to put me in a rubber room otherwise.  Unless, of course, death claims me first.......

Hopefully it won't, leenorman because your book will be AMAZING, it will be an AWESOME AWESOME book 

My very favorite contributions will be those from our knowledgeable members of THIS LOUNGE, and YOUR WONDERFUL ARTWORK, LaMarr.  I'm still having difficulty getting into your website.  Will you please send me another link; we need to get 'cracking' about the four we need for each cover and back cover.  Thanks for your contribution and for your lovely words.  It's been quite a 'journey'; and I've barely scratched the surface of what was Lucille's life.  Keep those dates a-comin' everyone!!!!!!  JK

My very favorite contributions will be those from our knowledgeable members of THIS LOUNGE, and YOUR WONDERFUL ARTWORK, LaMarr.  I'm still having difficulty getting into your website.  Will you please send me another link; we need to get 'cracking' about the four we need for each cover and back cover.  Thanks for your contribution and for your lovely words.  It's been quite a 'journey'; and I've barely scratched the surface of what was Lucille's life.  Keep those dates a-comin' everyone!!!!!!  JK

ok, will do! Ill email you later on today! Im  TOO Excited!!

• 3 weeks later...

Found this book today . . . History of Movie Comedy, from '85.  Went through it and could not find Lucy till the end, should have checked the index as I usually do.  They mention her being a superb clown, as evidenced by Fuller Brush Girl, and they also single out Fancy Pants and have almost a  full page pic of her and Hope in that so so comedy, no mention of Facts of Life or Yours mine and ours, not to mention Long, Long Trailer.  They mention most Marx Brothers comedies but not Room Service.  They did show Roman Scandals though, but no mention of her.

Very unusual little paperback called WHO'S WHO IN TV, subtitle Great 1968 Preview, a full page on Lucy and Gale with lengthy bios of both.  Author Richard H Heller from '67.  They say Lucy just rec'd her second Emmy, when it was her third, her fourth would be the following year.  Found many surprising facts on Gale though.

I was lucky enough to find two gigantic Hollywood type coffee table books today.  Hollywood Great Movies and Hollywood Musicals and Lucy was of course mentioned in both, ironically though she was mentioned many times in the musical one and only once in the movie one.  Too Many Girls, Dubarry was a lady and of course Mame among them.

Thanks, Claude, for the above new Lucy 'stuff' you've found; all very interesting additions to chronology....SOON, very SOON; what has happened is machine trouble; my volunteer duties; car trouble and the usual excuses;

Then, my friend, Glen Charlow, who was Cathy's Closet Webmaster for several years before she sold out, helped me put a daily thing on her site, sent me his collection of the listing of TV Guides; wanted to make sure I had them ALL; took some time checking; then, he gave me several pages of magazine articles and covers from many years of HIS own collection I JUST HAD TO ADD IN, AS WELL - WHEW! 

Oh I LOVE Glen, such a nice guy, great website, a R E A L fan.  The two humongous BOOKS, just gigantic, one on movies and one on Musicals and yet she has only one mention in the movie one but loads in the musical one, go figure.  If you need dates and authors on those two, just say so and I will look them up and post them.  It's hard for me to come back here, I realize NOW that MY opinions were not welcome so I've tried to tone things down and not get into discussions with posters.  As YOU know seeing as WE ARE CLOSE in age, we tell it like it is sometimes and some people want fluff and nothing real, I know that now.  Thanks to YOU by the way for being the one person who actually commented on this thread. 

And kudos to YOU for not letting it get you down, writing a book is quite the accomplishment and so few people go to all that trouble, at least when you go you will be leaving something behind, like Lucy.  Unlike me who has absolutely nothing to show for my whole life.

It's hard for me to come back here, I realize NOW that MY opinions were not welcome so I've tried to tone things down and not get into discussions with posters.

I hate to rise to the bait, but you said you were leaving because you found sharing pictures of Lucille Ball that were not airbrushed to be somehow disrespectful. The only opinion that people did not seem to appreciate was you proclaiming whether or not they were "REAL" Lucy fans.

• Like 1

Don't you know me yet?  After all these years, we've even met a few times.  YOU and Harry can say absolutely anything to me and I respect you both enough that I would never be offended although your comment that I was also guilty of slamming Lucy did come close, what I said was the truth and even though I love her more than anybody, if she has a fault, I feel I can criticize her for certain things and it's just the truth.  Because I love her enough that nothing changes my opinion of her.  N O T H I N G !  E V E R !  When I saw that horrible pic of Lucy where she had been made up to look horrible as a bag lady and knowing that the lady herself just despised seeing photos of herself that made her look horrible, she is quoted as saying just that in several books and articles, and she knew that once her beauty had faded and her real age showed, she knew that was the end of it for her, the end of her work and the end of her career.  So I just took it the way she would have.  It was just the last straw, I had had to defend the LOSER comment to someone who knew better, I noticed people leaving the board because I criticized this one or that one, then when I noticed Mr Hepburn was back, I wanted to change and leave him the joy of posting again.  I always praised Lam when he posted those stunning and incredible pics of Lucy and made no comments when he posted the ugly wrinkled ones but when he posted THAT particular one in the heat of a discussion just to aggravate me, well . . . now I feel so horrible that he recently lost his mother and I, of all people, who still feels anguish at the loss of mine because of certain things I did or didn't do seven years later, well, like Sinatra, and as you well know, I eventually always calm down and forget, sorry, forgive, I NEVER forget.  I was upset when Aussie left because we slammed Morton, but it was not because he was Jewish, it was because he was an asshole, JUST MY OPINION.  Morton, not the Aussie who I loved and still miss and I certainly was not the only one who felt that way about Mr Goldapper, read the books.  True, I'm old, and I can be such a critic of everyone when I have never done anything worth criticizing myself.  So, in an effort to stay on the best Lucy site ever and in the company of so many great friends, I will think twice before posting anything and instead of going for the record in posts and feeling I just have to answer everything, I will post only when I have something to say.  And wait till you get to be my age, it' true that you just cannot stand bullshit and you end up slamming most people.  Yes, I fear I have become Fred Mertz, a cranky old man who dished it out but like Lucy is all mush inside and it really hurts when you suddenly realize most people don't want to read what you have to say, sorry, very sorry.  Maybe it's burnout for posting or something. 

For you Joyce, as per your PM to me . . . Ted Sennett's GREAT HOLLYWOOD MOVIES and the other great one is also by him, Ted Sennett's HOLLYWOOD MUSICALS, I'm trying to find the years . . . ..........................................ok, found them, '81 for the Musical one and '83 for the movie one.

Claude, I wasn't going to say anything until you wrote my name and mentioned my mother- so I have to address this, but this will be my last time doing so-First, I really take offense to you mentioning my mother, she has nothing to do with this-My mom passed away from Cancer, April 29, what in Gods name does she have to do with your insensitivity towards others and their own preferences about Lucy pics? I think what you did was cowardly, distasteful, and disgusting. You have no legitimate reason as to why you're being so silly and narrow minded, so you try to add some back handed condolence to say what you won't forget about a picture from a 1980s TV MOVIE?...

You have NO PLACE to tell ANY ONE ANY THING about what they like- let alone what they post here- Im going to take the message I placed on here BEFORE that had to be taken down, and email it to you or send it to you via message, so you are clear on EXACTLY what I feel about this situation and your idiotic obsession with it. From now on, Id like it if you'd leave my mother OUT of any silly, over exaggerated  arguments here especially when its between you and me, Ive never brought up your mum, dont bring up mine. IMO Your too small minded to ever see any one else's point of view or appreciate any one else's likes unless they match yours- and considering your age, thats unfortunate. As old as you say you are, you'd think you'd have the wisdom to accept every one for who and what they are.

Your self entitlement and arrogance about knowing Lucy and being thee top Lucy fan is not only laughable but just ridiculous, plain and simple, because you think it gives you the freedom to shoot mean comments- but it doesn't.

No matter what you think, do, or ask, you can NOT tell any one whether or not they are a real fan- NO ONE came from anywhere to make you an official judge and critic over Lucy pictures and fan bases. Lucy is important to every one based on their own individual experience with her and you can not gage how important that is, because you don't know.

Your trying it, with all of this going back and forth cause you got your feelings hurt over a silly picture. You need to get over it and move on.

• Like 1