The Lucy Show Season 4--Reviews and First Impressions

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watched most of the SPECIAL features on both dvd sets but enjoyed the rather short but terrific to see LUCY AND FAMILY at home on Roxbury drive first of course and it was short but very very sweet! Wish they had gone INSIDE the house rather than outside though. Watched the Marineland ep first and then the hilarious Howard Morris in his BLIND date with Lucy turn, then Dean Martin of course which was not only Lucy's favorite ep ever but mine too, that beautiful sequin encrusted jacket looked GOLD on my copy but is obviously RED here. Still beautiful though, same as Lucy in her best LOOK ever with the longer hair, looking sexy as hell.

My disc 2 ratings;

Lucy Helps Danny Thomas Good

Lucy Helps the Countess Good

Lucy and the Sleeping Beauty Excellent

Lucy, The Undercover Agent Good

Lucy and the Return of Iron Man Good

Lucy Saves Milton Berle Good

Lucy, The Choir Master Excellent

A very good disc! Loved all the episodes in different ways!

My disc 2 ratings;

Lucy Helps Danny Thomas Good

Lucy Helps the Countess Good

Lucy and the Sleeping Beauty Excellent

Lucy, The Undercover Agent Good

Lucy and the Return of Iron Man Good

Lucy Saves Milton Berle Good

Lucy, The Choir Master Excellent

A very good disc! Loved all the episodes in different ways!

I just finished disc one today and loved all of them, i agree with Neil, i too had forgotten how great some of these Lucy shows were and they've grown on me also, now it's no longer the show i waited for all week but nostalgia, longing for a time when all tv shows were good, not the garbage that's on today.

Yeah I didnt mind it. I liked the "purple giraffe" scene! HILARIOUS!

Yeah i liked it too but don't remember it that well, i'll come back with a comment after i view it again. You gotta remember that we're talking about the two biggest tv stars of the period working together, how could it not be funny?

Yeah i liked it too but don't remember it that well, i'll come back with a comment after i view it again. You gotta remember that we're talking about the two biggest tv stars of the period working together, how could it not be funny?

Easily! :lucysmirk: I will have to watch it again as well but the more I think about that episode the more I dislike it! LOL!

Yes, fine, but do i recall your having an anti Milton Berle thing going on? :lucythrill:

Lucy Meets the Berles is much better, but Lucy teamed with the greats of comedy was never quite the powerhouse combination it should have been. Sid Caesar, Don Knotts, Jackie Gleason, Andy Griffith, Buddy Hackett, Mickey Rooney....I'm sure there's more. Maybe it was because comedy styles do not necessarily inter-mesh. Could be the material. Even the jack Benny episodes are essentially Jack Benny Shows with Lucy thrown in. Lucy and Hope are an OK team, but Lucy defers to Bob. Plus they didn't do anything other than his stale specials after 1964.

Lucy Meets the Berles is much better, but Lucy teamed with the greats of comedy was never quite the powerhouse combination it should have been. Sid Caesar, Don Knotts, Jackie Gleason, Andy Griffith, Buddy Hackett, Mickey Rooney....I'm sure there's more. Maybe it was because comedy styles do not necessarily inter-mesh. Could be the material. Even the jack Benny episodes are essentially Jack Benny Shows with Lucy thrown in. Lucy and Hope are an OK team, but Lucy defers to Bob. Plus they didn't do anything other than his stale specials after 1964.

I agree with you. Lucy Meets The Berles is great, but so is most of Season 5 and 6! :lucy1:

Oh that is so true, but she did ok with Carol Burnett and to a lesser extent Art Carney and certainly Danny Thomas. But i think you hit the nail on the head with that MATERIAL being the real problem, you remember that when they got her on any show they did not worry about the lousy writing knowing she could make sirloin out of mincemeat just by being in the lousy sketches they wrote for her.

My Disc 3 reviews;

Lucy Discovers Wayne Newton Good

Lucy, The Rain Goddess Poor

Lucy and Art Linkletter Good

Lucy Bags a Bargain Excellent

Lucy Meets Mickey Rooney Excellent

Lucy and the Soap Opera Excellent

Lucy Goes to a Hollywood Premiere Good

Yeah, i agree with your reviews except that i give it slightly better ratings considering these shows are from so long ago, it's amazing how well they've held up at all and i am shocked that they are still funny and somewwhat topical so many decades later. Considering their low budget, the names that appeared and how hot these people were BACK THEN and the somewhat badly written plots and Lucy shining in all of them despite all that. I especially liked it wehen she did something different from what we were used to and her being a stuntman and dating and getting into different things like attending a Premiere, dating a celeb or becoming a robot or delving into soaps were delicious attempts at humor.

Archived