The Lucy Show Season 4--Reviews and First Impressions

Face it, we don't agree! LOL! Soap Opera was almost unwatchable.

Oh i faced it all right, and you are correct, Rain Goddess is just unwatchable! LOL! Did you know that i have the original script for Rain Goddess with it's original title, it was supposed to be called Drafted two, the sequel. It was offered to several Indians who declined to take part, Cher and Burt Reynolds among them, but finally they got Jamie Farr instead. :lucy2:

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh i faced it all right, and you are correct, Rain Goddess is just unwatchable! LOL! Did you know that i have the original script for Rain Goddess with it's original title, it was supposed to be called Drafted two, the sequel. It was offered to several Indians who declined to take part, Cher and Burt Reynolds among them, but finally they got Jamie Farr instead. :lucy2:

LOL! Claude - you have to admit though that Soap Opera is pretty bad! AT LEAST agree with me on that!

LOL! Claude - you have to admit though that Soap Opera is pretty bad! AT LEAST agree with me on that!

Huh, N O it's not, Jan Murray was a great actor comedian from that period and the idea was terrific, to get Lucy involved in trying to save an actor in a soap, and soaps were hugely popular at that time in prime time as Peyton Place was a humongous hit so Camden Cove was a hilarious spoof making fun of Peyton Place which everybody watched three times a week at that time and i think this was a great idea for a show. Her Japanese gardener although terribly politically incorrect NOW was fine back then and her little old lady and it all tying itself up and the comedic scene in the hospital with Jan instead of Gale for once was terrific also, all leading up to that hilarious courtroom scene at the end, just great!

Huh, N O it's not, Jan Murray was a great actor comedian from that period and the idea was terrific, to get Lucy involved in trying to save an actor in a soap, and soaps were hugely popular at that time in prime time as Peyton Place was a humongous hit so Camden Cove was a hilarious spoof making fun of Peyton Place which everybody watched three times a week at that time and i think this was a great idea for a show. Her Japanese gardener although terribly politically incorrect NOW was fine back then and her little old lady and it all tying itself up and the comedic scene in the hospital with Jan instead of Gale for once was terrific also, all leading up to that hilarious courtroom scene at the end, just great!

We're just NOT going to agree on this! The ONLY part that I found amusing was seeing her as the old lady, but I'd already seen that in the episode with Ann Sothern so I didn't need to see it again. I don't know how you can be so negative about Rain Goddess yet so positive about Soap Opera? Sorry, it just doesn't make sense IMO.

Totally agree with you Claude. Lucy as the Japanese gardener was hilarious! I couldnt stop laughing. She did it so well! The courtroom scene was great too.

We're just NOT going to agree on this! The ONLY part that I found amusing was seeing her as the old lady, but I'd already seen that in the episode with Ann Sothern so I didn't need to see it again. I don't know how you can be so negative about Rain Goddess yet so positive about Soap Opera? Sorry, it just doesn't make sense IMO.

Not many of YOUR reviews make sense either, but we are all allowed to have different Lucy tastes honey, no problemo. Rain Goddess was like an animal episode to me, one i can skip when watching the rest of the shows of any particular season. I liked the Lucy statue in it though, it even looked better than that recent Lucy monstrosity we saw someone had done of her, i forget if it was in Jamestown.

I just finished re-watching Lucy & The Soap Opera and really... there is only one solitary laugh in the entire episode: Lucy immitating Jane Kean's "Pussycat". That's it. The rest of the episode is horrid and to paraphrase the elder Patrick Dennis, Jan Murray is about as subtle as a pile driver here. :lucydisgust: Also, I don't know if it is just me, but I never find Lucy's "old lady" routine funny.

I just finished re-watching Lucy & The Soap Opera and really... there is only one solitary laugh in the entire episode: Lucy immitating Jane Kean's "Pussycat". That's it. The rest of the episode is horrid and to paraphrase the elder Patrick Dennis, Jan Murray is about as subtle as a pile driver here. :lucydisgust: Also, I don't know if it is just me, but I never find Lucy's "old lady" routine funny.

THIS POST DESERVES 2 THUMBS UP!!! Glad to see you agree with me on this one Brock! I TOTALLY AGREE!! (apart from the last sentence about her "old lady" routine, I FOUND it funny when she first did it but when she does it a few episodes apart (EG. STUNT MAN), it does start to grate on your nerves! LOL! p.s - Care to reciprocate the love of a thumbs up?) :lucythrill:

Okayyyyyyyyyyyyy, you find Jan's acting not too subtle but have a little box clip showing Susan Tolksy at her best, hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. We all know how you feel about Lucy doing that Japanese SHTICK, we get it, not politically correct now but tolerated decades ago, even your beloved Prince Philip has done the slanty eye BIT. And you rave about Lucy in court on Life with Lucy but don't find this COURT bit amusing? As for the OLD LADY routine, her jumping over the railing was the BIG laugh you must have missed.

As for the OLD LADY routine, her jumping over the railing was the BIG laugh you must have missed.

You realise that wasn't in the episode we're talking about, right? But she tried to repeat the laugh by making it look like she was jumping over the foot of the bed multiple times, but it didn't have quite the same kick as the first time she trotted that bit out.

Re: Jan Murray vs. Susan Tolsky -- Susan's Quigley was supposed to be over-the-top and she was used in a very small dose in "Home Is Not An Office". Here, Jan Murry chews every bit of scenery left in Horrywood.

You realise that wasn't in the episode we're talking about, right? But she tried to repeat the laugh by making it look like she was jumping over the foot of the bed multiple times, but it didn't have quite the same kick as the first time she trotted that bit out.

Re: Jan Murray vs. Susan Tolsky -- Susan's Quigley was supposed to be over-the-top and she was used in a very small dose in "Home Is Not An Office". Here, Jan Murry chews every bit of scenery left in Horrywood.

Well, Jan was a comic, not an actor, he was a thespian in the gary morton mode. And a small dose of Susan's over the top acting is like saying you only got a small dose of the clap, doesn't matter how much there is, it still does all that damage. :lucythrill:

I find it curious that people get in such a snit over the now un-PC depiction of an Asian in a mid-sixties sitcom, yet just a few episodes later two very obviously white guys (one of whom is MASH's Jamie Farr) are portraying American Indians, replete with badly done make-up to make them appear "darker" and speaking in again, then very of-the-day but now pretty offensive "Indian speak"....my question being, why no upset or uproar over this? Is it simply because the Asian interpretation is more blatantly offensive? Seems to me one is no worse than the other.... but I also feel mountains have been made out of molehills, so to speak. mellow.gif

I truly do not believe any offense or harm was intended. Now if these were just produced and aired today, well...that'd be totally different. huh.gif

I find it curious that people get in such a snit over the now un-PC depiction of an Asian in a mid-sixties sitcom, yet just a few episodes later two very obviously white guys (one of whom is MASH's Jamie Farr) are portraying American Indians, replete with badly done make-up to make them appear "darker" and speaking in again, then very of-the-day but now pretty offensive "Indian speak"....my question being, why no upset or uproar over this? Is it simply because the Asian interpretation is more blatantly offensive? Seems to me one is no worse than the other.... but I also feel mountains have been made out of molehills, so to speak. mellow.gif

I truly do not believe any offense or harm was intended. Now if these were just produced and aired today, well...that'd be totally different. huh.gif

I see where you are coming from but it's not the Asian depiction that offended me, the entire episode offended me thanks to the lousy writing! :lucyeww:

I see where you are coming from but it's not the Asian depiction that offended me, the entire episode offended me thanks to the lousy writing! :lucyeww:

No I agree it wasn't one of TLS' finer (half) hours but as she often does, I think LB redeemed herself, as it were, in the courtroom scene.

Just sayin'. biggrin.gif

No I agree it wasn't one of TLS' finer (half) hours but as she often does, I think LB redeemed herself, as it were, in the courtroom scene.

Just sayin'. biggrin.gif

Very true JoeySoCal! I agree completely! She does redeem herself in the courtroom scene even though what she says makes no sense whatsoever! LOL!

Hahaha true!

Lets face it, none of us are going to agree in terms of this episode. I just liked it, but I wouldn't say its up in my FAVOURITES, but its just watchable for me. Maybe, im just easy to please!? :lucysmirk:

It's not in the league of drafted but it ain't no Dino show either.

I think there is a difference between the main character of the show portraying something like this as opposed to supporting and background characters. In my mind, rightly or wrongly, having a couple of supporting characters recite lines in "Indian Speak" is not as bad as rolling up every single "Yellow Face" stereotype into one convenient package ranging from the stooped/weak/emasculated body and movements, to the exaggerated bite, to the "Ls" and the "Rs".

Archived