Bob Hope Salutes the Ohio Jubilee

Brock

Oh wow, that was terrific to see, Lucy looked sensational and had pretty good material there. Loved the Soap and Lucy in Nashville references. Especially loved the embarrassed look she gives him when he gets a load of her flashy outfit, LOL! On his terrific tribute special to her, Bob Hope's Love Affair with Lucy, she is shown entering and the colors looked orange and pink, terrible combo, but here at least they look the same color. And that necklace, never seen her wear something so extravagant.

I don't remember Lucy being this good in the late 70s. Not only does she look and sound great, she's really in control of the (thin) material. The only Lucy special on around this time was "Calls the President". I know she had just lost Dede so that may have been it but she looks and sounds so bad in this special it's hard for me to enjoy. Too bad it couldn't have been made when she was feeling better....and on FILM instead of videotape.

I don't remember Lucy being this good in the late 70s. Not only does she look and sound great, she's really in control of the (thin) material. The only Lucy special on around this time was "Calls the President". I know she had just lost Dede so that may have been it but she looks and sounds so bad in this special it's hard for me to enjoy. Too bad it couldn't have been made when she was feeling better....and on FILM instead of videotape.

Why Neil, what difference does it make?

[quote name=DroopyDrawers :D' timestamp='1316593917' post='21390]

Seriously?! A lot of Lucy videos I've been trying to watch lately have been really low on volume. Maybe I don't have a certain thing downloaded on my computer. WTF. :(

Youtube usually automates the volume so it may be turned low and you'll have to manually turn it up.

Maybe the master volume is low on your computer. It usually happens with PC's I think.

• 2 weeks later...

Why Neil, what difference does it make?

Film has a softer look with fuller color and more artful lighting. Videotape (especially in the 70s) was over-lit and way too in-focus.

Not good for Lucy at this specific point in her life.

Film tends to seem more realistic, but with videotape you always know it's a set with an audience. Film: movies. Videotape: Live theater.

All those MTM shows of the 70s were film. Norman Lear shout-fests were videotape.

Videotape became popular for a while not because it was better. It was cheaper and easier to use---no film to develop. They knew what they had right away.

Film has a softer look with fuller color and more artful lighting. Videotape (especially in the 70s) was over-lit and way too in-focus.

Not good for Lucy at this specific point in her life.

Film tends to seem more realistic, but with videotape you always know it's a set with an audience. Film: movies. Videotape: Live theater.

All those MTM shows of the 70s were film. Norman Lear shout-fests were videotape.

Videotape became popular for a while not because it was better. It was cheaper and easier to use---no film to develop. They knew what they had right away.

Why thanks Neil, good to finally find all this out before i kick the bucket, LOL! Guess that's why Lucy always looked sensational on ILL but not as good on kinescopes or videotaped shows.

Archived