Theodore J. Mooney vs. Harrison O. Carter

As we all know, Gale basically played variations of his signature, pompous character on both TLS and HL.

However, as much as I get a kick out of his uptight Mr. Mooney always getting outdone by "MRS. CARMICHAEL!!!", I somehow find his characerization of Uncle Harry not only more convincing, but more digestible at times.

I think they made a smart choice having he and Lucy play in-laws on Here's Lucy; it made his hiring her as his secretary more convincing knowing that he had the welfare of his niece and nephew in mind. And however he and Lucy Carter may have crossed paths, he was always kind and gracious to Kim and Craig, adding an extra dimension of humanity that Mooney mostly lacked.

Is it me, or is Harry also goofier at times than Mr. Mooney? While still as pompous and grouchy as ever, Gale seemed to be able to cut loose more often as Harry than as Mr. Mooney.

One element to the Mooney character I preferred to Harry was that Mooney was married. Irma Mooney (the grandmother of Maris Crane) was a great example of the unseen character, whose descriptions were so outlandish that the mind could hardly picture her! Have to compile a list of all the outrageous Irma references that were made over the years.

What does everyone else think? Teddy or Harry?

Honestly, to me they are almost identical. I really can't spot much of a difference. Maybe Harry puts up with more practical jokes, that's about the only difference I can see.

Agreed. I think Harry was Mr Mooney after 10 years- after so many years of hair brained schemes,

He's finally accepted it, and in some cases help her with the schemes.

I think Harry shouted more though. Mr. Mooney was distinguished and had more patience I think.

At least in the earlier seasons. For instance in the Hospital scene when he breaks his leg on the welcome mat-

He says "Mrs Carmichael!! Mrs. Carmichael.I'm losing myself" lol

He was driven to that yelling blustering point. Harry was insanely hysterical and sometimes without warning.

I LOVED the scenes that show them cordial and nice to each other, something that did not hurt one bit.

Honestly, to me they are almost identical. I really can't spot much of a difference. Maybe Harry puts up with more practical jokes, that's about the only difference I can see.

Agreed. I think Harry was Mr Mooney after 10 years- after so many years of hair brained schemes,

I think Harry shouted more though. Mr. Mooney was distinguished and had more patience I think.

At least in the earlier seasons. For instance in the Hospital scene when he breaks his leg on the welcome mat-

He was driven to that yelling blustering point. Harry was insanely hysterical and sometimes without warning.

I LOVED the scenes that show them cordial and nice to each other, something that did not hurt one bit.

Here Here! Agree completely and better put than I did. I much preferred the scenes when it showed them to be more cordial. Harry irked me a little.

Here Here! Agree completely and better put than I did. I much preferred the scenes when it showed them to be more cordial. Harry irked me a little.

Likewise. Harry urked me too.

I think it's because I see a lot of episodes back to back, rather than weekly as it was broadcast back in the day.

But he's always screaming and being annoyed. I sometimes wondered if He had high blood pressure from the show itself.

I love when they dance and sing together.

Mr. Mooney was married to a unusual wife and had two children. He was a bank president and than later a vice president of a bank. He had three stresses to deal with Irma and the children, Mrs. Carmichael, and later in California Mr. Cheever.

Harry Carter never married and owned his own business. The two stresses he had to deal with his sister-in-law Lucy Carter, and the employment business that he owned. Harry having less stress and no wife to go home to spent alot of his free time in local theatre.

Archived