18 years of Lucy

Luvsbway

So I started writing this in a reply to something else and thought it deserves it's own post.

I sometimes go in phases with my Lucy collecting, watching, reading, etc.. It seems that since this past weekend and going through the new 60th Anniversary book and reading and seeing so much about the 100th Birthday, it got me back in the kick again. All week I have been pulling out so much stuff that I haven't watched in years and am rewatching it again. I had a late 30's early 40's Lucy movie marathon last night. I've also started reading books that have been sitting on my shelf for years that when I first got them I read them 3 times in a row. My next one off the shelf is the Desilu book. I got this book back when it came out and I was in the 8th grade and that book along with the Home Movies special moved me from being the causal Lucy fan who watched ILL and TLS in the summers home from school, to the obsessive, I have to read everything about this woman and watch everything she has ever done fan. It's been about 18 years since that time and has pretty much been the constant in my life.

So I started writing this in a reply to something else and thought it deserves it's own post.

I sometimes go in phases with my Lucy collecting, watching, reading, etc.. It seems that since this past weekend and going through the new 60th Anniversary book and reading and seeing so much about the 100th Birthday, it got me back in the kick again. All week I have been pulling out so much stuff that I haven't watched in years and am rewatching it again. I had a late 30's early 40's Lucy movie marathon last night. I've also started reading books that have been sitting on my shelf for years that when I first got them I read them 3 times in a row. My next one off the shelf is the Desilu book. I got this book back when it came out and I was in the 8th grade and that book along with the Home Movies special moved me from being the causal Lucy fan who watched ILL and TLS in the summers home from school, to the obsessive, I have to read everything about this woman and watch everything she has ever done fan. It's been about 18 years since that time and has pretty much been the constant in my life.

Awwwwwwwww, that's so nice to hear Shel. For me it's more like three times that 18 years as i've been a fan since I was a tiny kid and saw her for the first time. It's true, i think we all go into phases and i have had quiet periods also when her shows weren't even shown anywhere here but her movies always were and the books kept coming out and renewing my interest and then the private collection of rare things nobody ever sees and this gigantic hoopla about her 100th and the show's 60th sure has renewed interest, not to mention the net, which has created all these boards and shown us so many pics and told us about so many products and DVDs and so on, looks like it's going to go on forever, much like she and her career always have.

I have a lot of different interests, but Lucy is by far my biggest and most enduring. Growing up, I always enjoyed watching Lucy in the summertime on Nick-at-Nite but I didn't become an avid need-to-learn-and-know-and-collect-everything-about-Lucille-Ball fan until the summer of 2001 when I was thirteen. My interest also sometimes goes in phases. Lucy's never totally on the "back burner," per se, but for instance when I was in college and away at school I hardly ever had time to watch Lucy until I'd be home for a break. Plus my books and the majority of DVDs I had to leave at home. The great thing about Lucy, though, is that even when I'm so busy with work and school that I haven't had time to watch or read anything in weeks, I never lose interest in HER and it's super easy to get back in the swing of things. I've been fortunate enough to be able to go to Jamestown every summer since 2002, so that always super rejuvenates my interest. This year especially, with all the 100th birthday hoopla everywhere, as corny as it sounds, makes me really proud to be a Lucy fan. I have been in "super Lucy mode" since this summer though. Lately I've been into watching her movies. As Carol Burnett said at the TV Hall of Fame induction, our lives would be decidedly duller without Lucy's shining presence! :)

I have a lot of different interests, but Lucy is by far my biggest and most enduring. Growing up, I always enjoyed watching Lucy in the summertime on Nick-at-Nite but I didn't become an avid need-to-learn-and-know-and-collect-everything-about-Lucille-Ball fan until the summer of 2001 when I was thirteen. My interest also sometimes goes in phases. Lucy's never totally on the "back burner," per se, but for instance when I was in college and away at school I hardly ever had time to watch Lucy until I'd be home for a break. Plus my books and the majority of DVDs I had to leave at home. The great thing about Lucy, though, is that even when I'm so busy with work and school that I haven't had time to watch or read anything in weeks, I never lose interest in HER and it's super easy to get back in the swing of things. I've been fortunate enough to be able to go to Jamestown every summer since 2002, so that always super rejuvenates my interest. This year especially, with all the 100th birthday hoopla everywhere, as corny as it sounds, makes me really proud to be a Lucy fan. I have been in "super Lucy mode" since this summer though. Lately I've been into watching her movies. As Carol Burnett said at the TV Hall of Fame induction, our lives would be decidedly duller without Lucy's shining presence! :)

Yup, i also LOVE that Burnett quote about Lucy. She also said she wished she were half the woman Lucy was. AND, that not a day goes by that she doesn't hink of Lucy. So, if a busy person like Carol does that, imagine how it is for us regular folk.

I am always ready to watch, read or collect LUCY stuff... I think about her all the time.. I think about her legacy and am truely amazed at how sturdy she still is even today. I really take joy knowing others share my obsession! I remeber in my early 20's driving in a snow storm to the mall to get that DESILU book.. and I've read it so much, the cover is worn along with pages falling out.. in fact, that pretty much is the condition of most of the LUCY books I have and I still have more to collect! This is a wonderful hobby and I don't think I will ever lose intrest since it is going stronger than it ever has at this point! I am now in my early 40's and am anticipating season four of Here's Lucy in the mail.. hopefully just in time for my birthday! I find a day doesn't go by where she doesn't enter my mind on some level and make me smile. I wish I could meet all of you guys sometime or chat sometime in the chat room to release some of my pent up frustration!!! (hahaha) This is a great topic.. thanks for starting this thread! :)

I am always ready to watch, read or collect LUCY stuff... I think about her all the time.. I think about her legacy and am truely amazed at how sturdy she still is even today. I really take joy knowing others share my obsession! I remeber in my early 20's driving in a snow storm to the mall to get that DESILU book.. and I've read it so much, the cover is worn along with pages falling out.. in fact, that pretty much is the condition of most of the LUCY books I have and I still have more to collect! This is a wonderful hobby and I don't think I will ever lose intrest since it is going stronger than it ever has at this point! I am now in my early 40's and am anticipating season four of Here's Lucy in the mail.. hopefully just in time for my birthday! I find a day doesn't go by where she doesn't enter my mind on some level and make me smile. I wish I could meet all of you guys sometime or chat sometime in the chat room to release some of my pent up frustration!!! (hahaha) This is a great topic.. thanks for starting this thread! :)

You're in luck sweetie, the Desilu book has come out as a reissue with some new material in there too, i have it and love it, well, most of it, i could do without the Lucy bashing by sexually frustrated ex employees. As for meeting fellow Lucy fans, it will happen, it's even happened to me and i'm agoraphobic and don't go anywhere, some of them have come to me, LOL!

Archived