What is "IT" about Lucille?

Maybe I am just weird.. but Miss Ball isn't just an actress to me.. Something comes over me when I see her in anything.. movies, talk shows, LUCY shows.. anything.. I just get .. I don't know "giddy" I guess.. AND I love many of her co-stars (like Viv and Bill and Desi, Mary Jane, Mary Wicks, Gale..etc).. NO other performer has captured my heart and gained the loyalty from me like Lucille Ball... I like others.. many, many others.. but I only belong to one fansite of a celebrity and THIS is it!!! I'm sure some (if not most) of you feel like I do about her and maybe you can help me find the "IT" factor!!! What is it about this woman that makes me (and maybe you too) sooo crazy for her??!!?? Thanks for helping me in this matter if you so choose!! :lucysmirk:

Maybe I am just weird.. but Miss Ball isn't just an actress to me.. Something comes over me when I see her in anything.. movies, talk shows, LUCY shows.. anything.. I just get .. I don't know "giddy" I guess.. AND I love many of her co-stars (like Viv and Bill and Desi, Mary Jane, Mary Wicks, Gale..etc).. NO other performer has captured my heart and gained the loyalty from me like Lucille Ball... I like others.. many, many others.. but I only belong to one fansite of a celebrity and THIS is it!!! I'm sure some (if not most) of you feel like I do about her and maybe you can help me find the "IT" factor!!! What is it about this woman that makes me (and maybe you too) sooo crazy for her??!!?? Thanks for helping me in this matter if you so choose!! :lucysmirk:

Because like SOME stars of her generation, Hepburn, Davis, she got to the top, accomplished so much but created a loving character the world fell in love with. Like she used to say, i made them laugh, certainly did not want to make them cry. And she endured, the reason the 50th anniversary ILL special did so well is because by then anything associated with Lucy became comfort food for the public, a reassurance if you will that the world was still the same, a nice loving place to be, relief from the wars, famine and all the other troubles that surround us on a daily basis. AND, it aired right after September 11th happened and people flocked to it with fond memories of the OLD DAYS when everything was so much better. What other star made such an impact all over the world, generation after generation and still babysits a new generation all the time? You see her face and you smile, the love she displayed on those shows, the humor, all comes back to you when you look at that face, the face seen by more people more often than any other face the world has ever known said TV Guide. The love shown on her shows, her making fun of the universal condition, in situations people could relate to and the love she felt for people in real life, all through her remarkable life, comes through also. I dunno how else to SPLAIN it. She's been a part of my life forever, has always been there to comfort me when i was down, and i even use her as a mentor teaching me about what's important in life. Like a preacher coming at me through the TV screen for decades, she surely has instilled in me the best parts of who i am, along with my parents of course but most importantly she has entertained billions of people and made them forget their troubles and continues to do so even decades after she left us.

To quite from Eleanor Glynn, the author who coined the "IT" factor in 1927, "To have 'It', the fortunate possessor must have that strange magnetism which attracts both sexes... In the animal world 'It' demonstrates in tigers and cats-both animals being fascinating and mysterious, and quite unbiddable." :peachonthebeach:

Seriously, though, I totally agree with you Sassafrassa, and Claude put everything so beautifully I couldn't possibly add anything more insightful! Lucy was (and still is) a TREMENDOUS presence. I know I just quoted Carol Burnett in another thread but she hit the nail on the head when she said our lives would be decidedly duller without Lucy's shining presence!

I think it's the magic of Lucy. It's the sparkle in the eyes. The bow lips. BOTH expressions of Lucille Ball and the character Lucy. The heir of Lucille and the funny posture of Lucy. The style-the timing- the stance- everything! lol

I too am just like you lolol

I can usually flip through a book I THINK she's in- and find her instantly, and when i see a picture of her- Something inside leaps with excitement lol

AND it can be the same pic I've always seen of Lucy lol

I can hear her name once and my ears are at attention lolol Because there's a connection some where in there that goes beyond the show-A lot of true fans have it.

I think it's the love factor also. Love makes you see a lot of things, makes you appreciate a lot of things about the person you love, and falling in love with Lucy does that-I think

It's the magic of Lucy. It's the essence, the blessing, the overall enjoyment of Lucy

lol

So to answer your question- I dunno What it is that got me so into this girl but I know Im hooked on some Lucy!!! LOLOL

I think it's the magic of Lucy. It's the sparkle in the eyes. The bow lips. BOTH expressions of Lucille Ball and the character Lucy. The heir of Lucille and the funny posture of Lucy. The style-the timing- the stance- everything! lol

I too am just like you lolol

I can usually flip through a book I THINK she's in- and find her instantly, and when i see a picture of her- Something inside leaps with excitement lol

AND it can be the same pic I've always seen of Lucy lol

I can hear her name once and my ears are at attention lolol Because there's a connection some where in there that goes beyond the show-A lot of true fans have it.

I think it's the love factor also. Love makes you see a lot of things, makes you appreciate a lot of things about the person you love, and falling in love with Lucy does that-I think

It's the magic of Lucy. It's the essence, the blessing, the overall enjoyment of Lucy

lol

So to answer your question- I dunno What it is that got me so into this girl but I know Im hooked on some Lucy!!! LOLOL

SO TRUE! Lucy's the only celebrity for whom I immediately flip through the index of every Old Hollywood bio looking for a mention. :lucyhaha:

Ditto to all the replies so far :) .

From a young age I loved watching I Love Lucy, & so enjoyed the character of Lucy Ricardo. I wanted to be another of Lucy's friends & hang out with her & Ethel! As I got older & discovered the rich acting history that Lucy had, my admiration for her & all she had done in her life kept growing. After ILL came out on DVD, my interest grew even more & I started reading all the books I could find about her.

And then I found this place ;) , where other Lucy fans understand that admiration -- no explanation necessary. :lucy1:

Part 2, since I really didn't answer your question :marionstrong: :

Lucy has done it all & did everything well. Radio, movies, TV; actress, comedian, writer, businesswoman. Model, showgirl, dancer, star. She can convincingly play so many emotions, often without saying a word. Her talent draws my attention. She had a certain sparkle that only some great actresses had. She packed so many interesting experiences into one lifetime.

As Lucy Ricardo, she was down to earth, loving, fun. We came to expect laughs & excitement from her each week, & she delivered. Lucy so embodied that character that millions came to love her. ILL was such a positive viewing experience for her audience that we all felt as though the Ricardo's & Mertz's were our friends, too, because we knew them so well. When she moved on to do other series, we tuned in to see what our friend was up to.

She always made me smile -- and still does.

To quite from Eleanor Glynn, the author who coined the "IT" factor in 1927, "To have 'It', the fortunate possessor must have that strange magnetism which attracts both sexes... In the animal world 'It' demonstrates in tigers and cats-both animals being fascinating and mysterious, and quite unbiddable." :peachonthebeach:

Seriously, though, I totally agree with you Sassafrassa, and Claude put everything so beautifully I couldn't possibly add anything more insightful! Lucy was (and still is) a TREMENDOUS presence. I know I just quoted Carol Burnett in another thread but she hit the nail on the head when she said our lives would be decidedly duller without Lucy's shining presence!

Yeah, i was going to quote that Burnett line too, it just sums it all so beautifully. Sure applied to me.

Part 2, since I really didn't answer your question :marionstrong: :

Lucy has done it all & did everything well. Radio, movies, TV; actress, comedian, writer, businesswoman. Model, showgirl, dancer, star. She can convincingly play so many emotions, often without saying a word. Her talent draws my attention. She had a certain sparkle that only some great actresses had. She packed so many interesting experiences into one lifetime.

As Lucy Ricardo, she was down to earth, loving, fun. We came to expect laughs & excitement from her each week, & she delivered. Lucy so embodied that character that millions came to love her. ILL was such a positive viewing experience for her audience that we all felt as though the Ricardo's & Mertz's were our friends, too, because we knew them so well. When she moved on to do other series, we tuned in to see what our friend was up to.

She always made me smile -- and still does.

Beautifully said.

You know... I do have some other tv shows that I like to watch on dvd, mainly cause I don't have cable and watch dvds only, but I don't watch the other tv shows nearly as much as I watch my LUCY stuff.. I can't imaginge watching Will and Grace as often as I watch Miss B.. and speaking of Will and Grace.. I thought that was a good show in the first season and then they should have changed the name to Jack and Karen.. even so, I wouldn't buy the dvds cause it doesn't appeal to me enough to ever watch it again and again.. I guess what I am trying to say is watching Lucille over and over and over really doesn't bore me, in fact I really enjoy it.. and now that I know most every move LUCY makes, I get a kick out of paying attention to Viv and the gang! Vivian really makes some shows for me, as does GALE... anyone else feel this way too?? However, I wouldn't ever give Vivian or Gale a second thought if they hadn't been in a show with Lucille.

You know... I do have some other tv shows that I like to watch on dvd, mainly cause I don't have cable and watch dvds only, but I don't watch the other tv shows nearly as much as I watch my LUCY stuff.. I can't imaginge watching Will and Grace as often as I watch Miss B.. and speaking of Will and Grace.. I thought that was a good show in the first season and then they should have changed the name to Jack and Karen.. even so, I wouldn't buy the dvds cause it doesn't appeal to me enough to ever watch it again and again.. I guess what I am trying to say is watching Lucille over and over and over really doesn't bore me, in fact I really enjoy it.. and now that I know most every move LUCY makes, I get a kick out of paying attention to Viv and the gang! Vivian really makes some shows for me, as does GALE... anyone else feel this way too?? However, I wouldn't ever give Vivian or Gale a second thought if they hadn't been in a show with Lucille.

After Lucy, the ones i watch the most are Everybody Loves Raymond, Friends, Will and Grace, Golden Girls, notice they are all HAPPY shows with every type of eccentric character.

Archived