Columbia House "The Lucy Show" - incorrect colour palette

I'm sure many of you would have collected the five Columbia House tapes of "The Lucy Show", considering how long it took for complete seasons to see the light of day.

I got all of them back in 2002 right after discovering the public domain Lucy shows, and rewatching one recently for quality comparisons led me to notice something odd:

In "Lucy & The Ceramic Cat", included on the first volume Meet Lucy Carmichael, the tint is so off that the rug in the living room appears orange! Now, I happen to have two copies of that tape, and it's the same on both. So, for the longest time, I assumed that the set was again re-carpeted in season 3 with an orange rug. It wasn't until I saw the DVD edition that I realized the green rug lasted through the rest of the Danfield years.

Did anyone else notice this? Comparing both versions it shows how off the colour truly was. Lucy's hair is almost pink, and the B&W opening title clips are a light purple!

I'm sure many of you would have collected the five Columbia House tapes of "The Lucy Show", considering how long it took for complete seasons to see the light of day.

I got all of them back in 2002 right after discovering the public domain Lucy shows, and rewatching one recently for quality comparisons led me to notice something odd:

In "Lucy & The Ceramic Cat", included on the first volume Meet Lucy Carmichael, the tint is so off that the rug in the living room appears orange! Now, I happen to have two copies of that tape, and it's the same on both. So, for the longest time, I assumed that the set was again re-carpeted in season 3 with an orange rug. It wasn' until I saw the DVD edition that I realized the green rug lasted through the rest of the Danfield years.

Did anyone else notice this? Comparing both versions it shows how off the colour truly was. Lucy's hair is almost pink, and the B&W opening title clips are a light purple!

Maybe that was when Lucy colored her hair on the set and things got out of hand? Never knew this, never got THOSE copies.

Is the rest of the apartment GREEN, as green and orange go well together, LOL!

Strangely, no, the beige of the walls wasn't affected as bad. But everything else was to a serious degree. Watching it now with the knowledge that the carpet is actually green allows me to see a few areas where green patches shine through, but the majority of it appears orange!

Strangely, no, the beige of the walls wasn't affected as bad. But everything else was to a serious degree. Watching it now with the knowledge that the carpet is actually green allows me to see a few areas where green patches shine through, but the majority of it appears orange!

Are you sure it's not just an anomaly with your VCR? Now you've got me wanting to make an "A/B" comparison between the two formats/devices. :lucydaze:

Are you sure it's not just an anomaly with your VCR? Now you've got me wanting to make an "A/B" comparison between the two formats/devices. :lucydaze:

There is a significant colour difference comparing the purple chair in the Danfield living room as seen in the DVD print and the print used by CTS when it aired in the early 2000s.

No, I checked, because other season 3 episodes in the set played back with the correct tint/contrast, with no VCR adjustment on my part. I checked both copies of that tape, and both were the same. Transfer error. I'll make a screencap of it.

No, I checked, because other season 3 episodes in the set played back with the correct tint/contrast, with no VCR adjustment on my part. I checked both copies of that tape, and both were the same. Transfer error. I'll make a screencap of it.

I have Claude to thank for sending me dvd copies of those episodes back in 2007--although a couple were missing--like "Lucy Goes Duck Hunting," and "Lucy the Coin Collector." I think there were 2 more that weren't included. I thought they were great quality until I watched the fully restored dvd and the picture is much clearer! :)

I have Claude to thank for sending me dvd copies of those episodes back in 2007--although a couple were missing--like "Lucy Goes Duck Hunting," and "Lucy the Coin Collector." I think there were 2 more that weren't included. I thought they were great quality until I watched the fully restored dvd and the picture is much clearer! :)

Hey, i was working with what i HAD at that time, LOL! I was just thinking, recopying old copies again and again always distorts the colors, or at least it did back in the old VCR days, that's why my Lucy at the Kennedy Center honoring Hope was her singing Hey Look Him Over in a mass of red and blue, her hair and dress just washed up terribly.

Archived