Happy Birthday, Desi

leenorman

Desi: Hoping this day is your BEST EVER... Here is what your parents and company were doing on YOUR DAY! Enjoy! Sincerely and respectfully, Joyce Kellogg

January 19

Guy Madison, Wild Bill Hickox fame, 112 episodes, 1951-58; William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz) co-star, Texas, Brooklyn & Heaven, 1948; guest, Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Red Skelton Hour “San Fernando's Treasure Hunt”; and The Ann Sothern Show “Katy and the Cowboy”, 1959, is born this date in 1922.

Jean Stapleton, Edith, Archie Bunker’s wife, All in the Family, 204 episodes, 1968-1979; Lucille Ball early-film career friend; appears with William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), My Three Sons “The People's House”, 1964; with Desi Arnaz, The Hollywood Squares, and The 26th Annual Tony Awards, 1972; co-Host, Part I, CBS: On The Air, Lucille, co-Host, Part II, 1978, with Lucie Arnaz, Night of 100 Stars, 1982; appears with Lucille, NBC’s, The First Academy of TV Arts and Sciences Television Hall of Fame, 1984; with Lucille, via archival footage, Funny Women of Television, 1991, with Lucille, archivally, The Carol Burnett Show: A Reunion, 1993; with Lucille and Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz), both archivally, 50 Years of Funny Females, 1995; as well as with Lucille, both archivally, TV's 50 Funniest Phrases, 2009, is born this date in 1923.

Lucille Ball appears, uncredited, in United Artists', Moulin Rouge, Daryl F. Zanuck, Producer; co-starring Constance Bennett, Hobart Cavanaugh, Eddie Foy, Jr., uncredited; Fuzzy Knight, Barbara Pepper, uncredited, and Franchot Tone; released this date in 1934.

LA Examiner, Louella O. Parsons: “Lucille Ball flew in over the weekend and is testing for Damon Runyon’s Little Pinks – now called It Comes Up Love,” published this date in 1942.

Shelley Fabares, of One Day At A Time, 23 episodes, 1978-1984, and Coach, as Christine Armstrong, 199 episodes, 1989-1997 fame; appeared with Lucille Ball, The Practice “The Dream”, as Jenny Bedford, 1976, is born this date in 1944.

Post Journal Jamestown, NY: “Lucille Ball Arrives ‘Home’; Plans Bond Drive Activity – While still a ‘Goldwyn Girl’, here to attend funeral services for her grandfather, Fred C. Hunt, her ‘daddy’ . . . “During intermittent reporter interviews over the 5 days home, Lucille credited many hometown friends with generous gratitude, including teachers; the Jamestown Players’ Club, which gave her the stage early on and encouraged her; as well as Lucille describing her rise to stardom ‘the opposite of meteoric’; inspiration of folks for her stand-out hair color; and inviting friends, via the newspaper articles, to come see her. Police had to hold back the hundreds of people who showed up to see her off leaving from the Erie Railroad Station, in Jamestown. From Jamestown, Miss Ball will leave for Philadelphia to take part in the 4th War Loan Drive being held in that City, speaking to employees of industrial plants in that area,” published this date in 1944.

Dolly Parton, guest, Desilu Productions', Music City U.S.A., 1967; appears with Lucie Arnaz, The 38th Annual Golden Globe Awards, and The 53rd Annual Academy Awards, 1981; appears with Lucille, each via archival footage, NBC's Bob Hope's Bag of Christmas Memories, nominated for a PrimeTime Emmy 1994, 1993; with Lucille, 200 Greatest Pop Culture Icons, 2003; is born this date in 1946.

Lucille Ball appears on NBC Radio’s Screen Guild Theatre, You Belong to Me, written by William Esty, co-starring Don Ameche, airing this date in 1950.

Lucille Ball had to drop out of DeMille’s Greatest Show on Earth, due to her second pregnancy, which movie is scheduled to “go before the cameras,” this date in 1951.

Lucille Ball appears on Newsweek Magazine cover - “Who Doesn’t Love Lucy?” – “Lucy and Desi faced Jess Oppenheimer, like teenagers with guilty news, of her latest pregnancy. Jess was delighted, as he had been trying to think up ways to ‘refresh’ Lucy’s scheming ways into show business,” published this date in 1953.

Love, Lucy, by Lucille Ball: “Desiderio Alberto Arnaz, IV, is born,” (James Bacon, reporter, Associated Press, only member of the media in the delivery room), “and I awoke to find Desi sobbing at the foot of my bed, along with seven thousand letters and a thousand telegrams waiting for me. This was only the beginning. The national hysteria lasted for weeks. Counting everything, one million people sent expressions of their good wishes for the new baby,” beyond this day in 1953.

Desiderio Alberto Arnaz, IV, the son of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz – actor, TV and Big Screen, (by date, throughout this document), businessman, musician, husband, father, and guest star (“I Love Lucy”) “The Ricardos Dedicate a Statue”, 1957, the last show of the series; with Lucie Arnaz, Lucille and Gary Morton, two episodes of Password, 1964; appears in Dean Martin film, Murderers’ Row, co-stars, as tango dancer, The Carol Channing Show, directed by Desi Arnaz, III; edited by Dann Cahn; and written by Madelyn Davis and Bob Carroll, Jr., 1966, as himself/musical trio, Dino, Desi & Billy; guest, Desi Arnaz Productions’, The Mothers-in-Law, 1 episode, 1967, 2 episodes, 1968; co-star, with Lucille and Lucie in The Lucy Show series – 5 episodes; co-star on (“Here’s Lucy”), 19 episodes – 1968-1972; stars, Mantrap, 1971, as himself; star, Marco – as Marco Polo, 1973; California My Way, and Billy Two Hats, and appears, among many others, Thalians' Tribute, honoring Lucille, as the first “Mrs. Wonderful”, 1974; Host; TV film, (nominated for 3 PrimeTime Emmys), I Love Liberty, as himself, 1982; guest, All-Star Party for Lucille Ball, 1984; star, Automan, 13 episodes, as Walter Nebicher, 1983-1984; star, Our Time, 1985, appears, (“I Love Lucy”): The Very First Show!, 1990; Lucy and Desi: A Home Movie, 1993; as well as (“I Love Lucy”) 50th Anniversary Special, 2001; is born this date in 1953.

Eclipsing President Eisenhower’s inauguration – (44 million viewers) – an Inauguration party held by Colonel Robert R. McCormick, publisher of Chicago Tribune, came to a temporary halt while everybody watched (“I Love Lucy”) “Lucy Goes to the Hospital,” in silence, (reported as Desi’s favorite episode - he claims differently in “A Book”) - this date in 1953.

Desi Arnaz, as Ricardo The Orchestra Leader, and the Desi Arnaz Orchestra, perform at CBS-TV General Service Studios (“I Love Lucy”) “Lucy Goes to the Hospital” (Lucy Ricardo gives birth to Little Ricky – baby - James John Ganzer) every word and movement carefully rehearsed for maximum hilarity, with Ricky’s Tropicana sequence filmed the following week, due to set change difficulties - episode is “the most-watched sitcom ever” - remains such until the 1960’s, with veteran Lucy supporting cast members, Bennett Green, (Desi Arnaz’ stand-in), Charles Lane, Peggy Rea William R. Hamel, Barbara Pepper, Ruth Perrott, and Hazel Pierce (Lucille Ball stand-in), airs this date in 1953.

NY Times, by Jack Gould: Hollywood, Calif., Jan. 19 (UP) - “Lucille Ball Adheres to Television Script: Comedienne Gives Birth to 8+-Pound Boy,” article pointing out that Lucy Ricardo giving birth to a boy in an episode (“I Love Lucy”) filmed the previous November, just before Lucille took a maternity leave, she and Desi Arnaz were fully prepared if the child had been another daughter, the ‘writers will have to write it off as artistic license,’ and ‘post-birth’ baby episodes were filmed earlier, in the summer, before Lucille looked like an expectant mother,” published this date in 1953.

Lucille Ball appears on Time Magazine cover, this date in 1953.

Post Journal, Jamestown, NY: Lucy’s Baby Has A Birthday – (AP Wirephoto) – Desiderio Alberto Arnaz, IV, born a year ago today, gets a birthday kiss from his mother, former Jamestowner, Lucille Ball, in Hollywood. The famous baby, whose birthday had been anticipated and filmed ahead of time on his parents’ TV show, was born at 8 a.m., a year ago today in actuality, and 12 hours later, over television, via the ‘canned’ script, published this date in 1954.

Desilu Productions’, Shower of Stars “Quentin Reynolds Writing the Life of Jack Benny”, William Lundigan, Host, Jack Benny, George Burns, and Shirley MacLaine, airing this date in 1956.

(“I Love Lucy”) “Lucy Meets Charles Boyer,” an episode with Lucy hiring Boyer to impersonate himself, to make Ricky jealous, filmed this date in 1956.

Desilu Productions', Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Texan, “Outpost” - Desi Arnaz, Executive Producer; Rory Calhoun, Producer; starring Rory, as Bill Longley; W. Argyle Nelson, long-time associate of the Arnazes, as Production Supervisor, 31 episodes, 1958-1960, and James A. Paisley, Production Manager, 23 episodes, 1958-59; Bill Heath, Editorial Supervisor, Ralph Berger, Art Direction, Original Music, E. C. Norton, and Robert Reeve, Re-recording Editor, airs this date in 1959.

NY Herald Tribune – “CBS, wanting to reach the greatest number of viewers was met with: ‘Broads, bosoms and fun’, Newton N. Minow, Chairman of Federal Communications Commission’s, concern and disapproval and viewing current television as a ‘vast wasteland’ . . .” published this date in 1964.

Desi Arnaz Productions’, The Mothers-In-Law “And Baby Makes Four” - regular cast, as well as Lucy veteran supporting cast member, Vanda Barra, airs this date in 1969.

Hal March, b. 4/22; Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz' family friend and veteran supporting cast member, (“I Love Lucy”) 1952, 1953; guest, Desilu Productions’, 1954; Lucille's guest, The Lucy Show, 1966, as well as Lucille's co-star, 1967; dies this date in 1970.

(“Here’s Lucy”) “Lucy and Lawrence Welk”, guest co-starring Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz) and Lawrence Welk - Lucy has told Viv, in a letter, she is friends with Lawrence Welk – Viv comes for a visit - a ‘copy’ of Harpo Marx segment from (“I Love Lucy”), with Lucie Arnaz, as Kim Carter, airing this date in 1970.

Desi Arnaz organized a party for Desi, IV, on the occasion of his 18th birthday, held at the Luau Restaurant, this date in 1971.

Desi Arnaz, IV, stars as Walter Nebicher, 20th Century Fox TV’s, Automan “Flashes and Ashes”, starring Chuck Wagner, as Automan, Robert Lansing and Gerald S. O'Loughlin; Desi's partner - Dino, Desi & Billy combo - Billy Hinsche, composer, theme music, airing this date in 1984.

Norma Varden, b. 1/20; Lucille Ball film co-star, 1950; veteran supporting cast member, (“I Love Lucy”), 1953, guest, Desilu Production’s, Willy, 1954; Those Whiting Girls, 1955; and Lucille's guest, The Lucy Show, 1964, dies this date in 1989.

Hedy Lamarr, b. 11/9; with Lucille Ball, 1943, guest, Desilu Productions', Shower of Stars, 1957; with Lucille, 1982, with Lucille and Desi Arnaz, Hollywood Out-takes and Rare Footage, and American Masters: Judy Garland By Myself, 1983; with Lucille, via archival footage, Entertaining the Troops, and That's Entertainment! III, 1994; as well as Ziegfeld Girl Intro, 2004, dies this date in 2000.

Desi Arnaz, IV, host, ESPN Sports Century Documentary, with guest Dorothy Hamill, and many other big-name ice-skating sports stars, airs this date in 2002.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY - Patrick I. Fanelli: Celoron Moving Ahead with Bandshell – “It’s time we started thinking about raising money for the Bandshell,” stated Mayor Tom Bartolo. “Lucie Arnaz and former Celoron Mayor, Rick Slagle, reportedly began the project honoring the Arnazes children’s father, Desi Arnaz, in 2001, during a visit to Jamestown, honoring her parents, Lucille Ball and Desi. The project has remained dormant, with small fund-raisers; and, in 2005, Lucie and Desi Arnaz IV, donated $20,000 of their ‘personal funds’ to that end. The design the Village is interested in will cost between $40,000-$45,000, and Village officials want to complete the five-year project by this summer, in time for the Summer Concert Series,” published this date in 2006.

Tony Franciosa, b. 10/25; guest, Desilu Productions', The Greatest Show on Earth, 1963; as well as appears with Lucille Ball and Lucie Arnaz, Night of 100 Stars II, 1985, dies this date in 2006.

SFGate.com - home of the San Francisco Chronicle - (“I Love Ethel”) - A Vivian Vance Archive Uncovered - The Collective Mind - by Bob Bragman - “Many of the photos and objects in this gallery belonged to Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz) and have never been seen by the public. There are photos from her personal scrapbook along with newspaper and magazine clippings that span her career. There are also photos of objects remaining from her estate, including a pair of chairs given to her by Tallulah Bankhead; a photo of the Lyndon Johnson First Family; an autographed photo of Maruice Chevalier; and one with Vivian and William Frawley (Lucy's The Mertzes) greeting President Eisenhower,” posted this date in 2010.

"....every word and movement carefully rehearsed for maximum hilarity..." -- love lines like this Joyce! So true! (But then it was pretty true of every ep! ;) )

Oops! How's that again?

"(“Here’s Lucy”) “Lucy and Lawrence Welk”, guest co-starring Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz) and Lawrence Welk - Lucy has told Viv, in a letter, she was friends with Art Linkletter Welk -- Viv comes for a visit - a ‘copy’ of Harpo Marx segment from (“I Love Lucy”), with Lucie Arnaz, as Kim Carter, airing this date in 1970."<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(252, 254, 255); ">

peachonthebeach.JPG

A very Happy Birthday to the multi talented offspring of two of the giants in show business. I was always a fan of yours and your parents were obviously very proud of you for showing that talent was in the genes. Congratulations for beating your demons and surviving in a business that doesn't treat it's performers well sometimes. Nice to know you are doing well and are still active in the biz.

"....every word and movement carefully rehearsed for maximum hilarity..." -- love lines like this Joyce! So true! (But then it was pretty true of every ep! ;) )

Oops! How's that again?

"(“Here’s Lucy”) “Lucy and Lawrence Welk”, guest co-starring Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz) and Lawrence Welk - Lucy has told Viv, in a letter, she was friends with Art Linkletter Welk -- Viv comes for a visit - a ‘copy’ of Harpo Marx segment from (“I Love Lucy”), with Lucie Arnaz, as Kim Carter, airing this date in 1970."<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(252, 254, 255); ">

peachonthebeach.JPG

Thanks for calling this to my attention; loving my editors!!!! Love, JK

• 2 months later...

Archived