Could this possibly be the real deal??

vivfantoo*

Once in a while I search for the gang on e bay & also search the word Desilu. Well, this came up under Desilu:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-5-PIECE-SET-I-LOVE-LUCY-SHOW-USED-PROP-IVY-DISHES-LUCILLE-BALL-DESILU-/261003973503?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc50c937f

Supposedly, (for a mere $1,500. :lucyhorror: ) you can own a place setting. Do you think this is legit? Or did someone think up a clever con & fake the tags & certificates?

Once in a while I search for the gang on e bay & also search the word Desilu. Well, this came up under Desilu:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-5-PIECE-SET-I-LOVE-LUCY-SHOW-USED-PROP-IVY-DISHES-LUCILLE-BALL-DESILU-/261003973503?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc50c937f

Supposedly, (for a mere $1,500. :lucyhorror: ) you can own a place setting. Do you think this is legit? Or did someone think up a clever con & fake the tags & certificates?

Schmeets! is a very knowledgable and reputable seller (and a Lounger, for what it's worth, so I hope he chimes in here!)so I would trust his listings over most of the others, but I too have always wondered how these things can be verified beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Good to know he has a good reputation, Brock, so I'll believe it to be true. I don't mean any disrespect to this seller. I just kept thinking of that old adage, "If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is".

Now that you've calmed my skepticism :) , all I can think is WOW -- an original set of ILL dishes!

Thanks Brock for your kind words! Means a lot :peachonthebeach:

Vivfantoo - yes these are the real deal. I purchased four sets of dishes from a fellow Lucy friend, fan and collector a few years ago. She obtained them from a Hollywood memorabilia dealer, who acquired them directly from Ellis Props & Graphics prior to their liquidation. I also have an oval dish, serving bowl, berry bowl and cereal bowl in the collection. Unfortunately, I'm only able to display one set so the rest have been safely stored in the closet ever since I got them. Was planning on getting a china cabinet to hold everything, which hasn't happened so I've decided to let go of three sets (at a very reasonable price) and keep one. It's time for other fans to enjoy these pieces of TV history! Besides dishes being passed down from cast and crew, Ellis is the only prop house I'm aware of to authenticate these props.

VBagley - Yeah! I'd be awesome to know which episodes they were specifically used in, since there are so many. Imagine, some of the most classic lines could have been said with these or better yet, ate off of or drank from by Lucy Ricardo!

DroopyDrawers - Since I'm parting with three sets, in addition to the lot of five I also have individual pieces listed at lower prices if you want a certain one.

:ill:

Schmeets! is a very knowledgable and reputable seller (and a Lounger, for what it's worth, so I hope he chimes in here!)so I would trust his listings over most of the others, but I too have always wondered how these things can be verified beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Tongue-in-cheek, here, Brock; but, could these have been in a shipment which arrived in Jamestown 2005???? Lookin' for 59LucyLane to drop by here, for comment(s)... Rumors vs facts, donchano!!

Just sayin.....

JK

[quote name=DroopyDrawers :D' timestamp='1336642096' post='38360]

How much for individual pieces?

Hey Droopy! You can search for the listings of individual pieces on eBay but here is a link to the bread plate: http://www.ebay.com/itm/261018529438?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

From there you'll find the others :)

Tongue-in-cheek, here, Brock; but, could these have been in a shipment which arrived in Jamestown 2005???? Lookin' for 59LucyLane to drop by here, for comment(s)... Rumors vs facts, donchano!!

Just sayin.....

JK

Joyce - were some donated to the Center? I know there are pieces in the kitchen set in the Desilu Playhouse but figured they were replicas. I've thought about donating a set but didn't want any mix up with what they already have.

Hi LucyEths, I was glad to read your posts & learn more of the story behind these pieces. It is so good to know that you are a Lucy fan :) , & that you want others to be able to own some I Love Lucy history, too. I've been fond of these dishes for years & discovered the pattern for sale at replacements.com a year or two ago, & even posted a link to them here in the Lounge. Just recently I decided to buy a cup & saucer from them for nostalgia's sake.

I was shocked to see your listing -- mainly because of the rarity of these items -- & apologize if I offended you with my first post. I had recently viewed a picture for sale of the four I Love Lucy actors that was signed by all four, yet none of the signatures looked anything like the many legitimate signatures I've seen. I was still in a skeptical mood when I came across your listing, so I hope you understand where I was coming from.

Good luck with your sale!

Hi LucyEths, I was glad to read your posts & learn more of the story behind these pieces. It is so good to know that you are a Lucy fan :) , & that you want others to be able to own some I Love Lucy history, too. I've been fond of these dishes for years & discovered the pattern for sale at replacements.com a year or two ago, & even posted a link to them here in the Lounge. Just recently I decided to buy a cup & saucer from them for nostalgia's sake.

I was shocked to see your listing -- mainly because of the rarity of these items -- & apologize if I offended you with my first post. I had recently viewed a picture for sale of the four I Love Lucy actors that was signed by all four, yet none of the signatures looked anything like the many legitimate signatures I've seen. I was still in a skeptical mood when I came across your listing, so I hope you understand where I was coming from.

Good luck with your sale!

Like Desi said, "I Love Lucy is more than just a title". No worries wasn't offended at all. I have some replicas too that I use every now and then. So fun to use them while watching I Love Lucy. I'm a little sad to let them go but it's time.

Joyce - were some donated to the Center? I know there are pieces in the kitchen set in the Desilu Playhouse but figured they were replicas. I've thought about donating a set but didn't want any mix up with what they already have.

Not AT ALL sure about the dishes; there are some of that pattern on the table, or were there after the unloading in 2005.... not sure of the origin....

The point I was trying to make was that we, who unloaded lots of stuff from that moving van-type vehicle, which included the 'sets' you see of kitchen, living and Hollywood living room were all on the tractor-trailer; came from the recently-closed exhibit, and some things that had been in storage - we spent some time, a lot of it, cleaning, dusting, washing, and arranging....

NOW>>>>>>. . . that I know what I know, I have some idea in my head that not ALL went 'on display'.

Sorry; but, the thought is there. If things were given to the Museum, that is where they should be.... and stay ....

We were all SO EXCITED, and TRUSTING....donchano!

Enough.... JK

P.S. There was ALSO a rent-a-vehicle, which went to Lucie's either home or storage, arrdubya and driver, bringing back all sorts of "thin's" (loaded, in fact) which we 'unloaded (IN THE RAIN!)' and carried from alley downstairs into the bank building; who knows what that important 'stuff' was.... someone does, however.....

Not AT ALL sure about the dishes; there are some of that pattern on the table, or were there after the unloading in 2005.... not sure of the origin....

The point I was trying to make was that we, who unloaded lots of stuff from that moving van-type vehicle, which included the 'sets' you see of kitchen, living and Hollywood living room were all on the tractor-trailer; came from the recently-closed exhibit, and some things that had been in storage - we spent some time, a lot of it, cleaning, dusting, washing, and arranging....

NOW>>>>>>. . . that I know what I know, I have some idea in my head that not ALL went 'on display'.

Sorry; but, the thought is there. If things were given to the Museum, that is where they should be.... and stay ....

We were all SO EXCITED, and TRUSTING....donchano!

Enough.... JK

P.S. There was ALSO a rent-a-vehicle, which went to Lucie's either home or storage, arrdubya and driver, bringing back all sorts of "thin's" (loaded, in fact) which we 'unloaded (IN THE RAIN!)' and carried from alley downstairs into the bank building; who knows what that important 'stuff' was.... someone does, however.....

In my most humble opinion, I would not believe that any of the Ivy dishes came from the show. Every one is selling them as I Love Lucy. The tags from prop houses are a dime a dozen. Sorry, just saying....

• 3 weeks later...

Archived