Watching "Ricky Sells The Car"

I think it was always funny that Ethel and Fred would think that Lucy and Ricky would dump them in Hollywood. What brought this on?

Could it be that Ethel overreacted because Ricky, Lucy, and Fred were ready to dump her in Albuquerque when she became so full of herself?

Could it be that Ethel was concerned that her annoying habit of eating in Palm Springs would drive Lucy up the wall on the drive home?

Could it be that Lucy was dropping hints to Ethel while they were getting their hair done that she wasn't going to take the fall for stealing John Wayne's footprints. :lucydaze: "If things hit the fan, Ethel, Ricky, my mother, Little Ricky, and yours truly are going to runaway in the car." :viv1: "What about Fred and me?" :lucydisgust: "You got a free trip to Hollywood, what more do you want? :lucyhehe: Be a good friend and cover for us!!!"

Fred and Ethel should have had a little more faith in Lucy and Ricky afterall they are the best of friends!!!!

I think it was always funny that Ethel and Fred would think that Lucy and Ricky would dump them in Hollywood. What brought this on?

Could it be that Ethel overreacted because Ricky, Lucy, and Fred were ready to dump her in Albuquerque when she became so full of herself?

Could it be that Ethel was concerned that her annoying habit of eating in Palm Springs would drive Lucy up the wall on the drive home?

Could it be that Lucy was dropping hints to Ethel while they were getting their hair done that she wasn't going to take the fall for stealing John Wayne's footprints. :lucydaze: "If things hit the fan, Ethel, Ricky, my mother, Little Ricky, and yours truly are going to runaway in the car." :viv1: "What about Fred and me?" :lucydisgust: "You got a free trip to Hollywood, what more do you want? :lucyhehe: Be a good friend and cover for us!!!"

Fred and Ethel should have had a little more faith in Lucy and Ricky afterall they are the best of friends!!!!

:marionstrong:

Excellent questions! I always thought Fred & Ethel were acting very ungrateful. They got a free ride to Hollywood, and chances are the studio put them up in their room as well, as Fred never would've payed for that. You'd think they could've chipped in for something themselves!

I understand this episode was necessary to ditch the car and expedite the trip home, but it also brought up an oddity: why was Lucy so blase about selling the car? She was so over the moon about it when they first got it, you'd think she'd have been heartbroken at Ricky selling it. As it was, her only reaction was "well how are we gonna get home?"

Think of the extra episode they could've squeezed out of it had they chosen not to retcon her love for it: "Lucy Steals the Car", where she's so distraught over losing it she disguises herself to steal it back and makes a break for the border with Ethel. Aw well...

• 3 months later...

:marionstrong:

Excellent questions! I always thought Fred & Ethel were acting very ungrateful. They got a free ride to Hollywood, and chances are the studio put them up in their room as well, as Fred never would've payed for that. You'd think they could've chipped in for something themselves!

I understand this episode was necessary to ditch the car and expedite the trip home, but it also brought up an oddity: why was Lucy so blase about selling the car? She was so over the moon about it when they first got it, you'd think she'd have been heartbroken at Ricky selling it. As it was, her only reaction was "well how are we gonna get home?"

Think of the extra episode they could've squeezed out of it had they chosen not to retcon her love for it: "Lucy Steals the Car", where she's so distraught over losing it she disguises herself to steal it back and makes a break for the border with Ethel. Aw well...

Hey, the writers weren't perfect! But they were still the best in the business.

At least Fred offered to supply all the water the car needed to get there. :bill1:

Archived