Lucy Calls the President

What do you guys think of Lucy Calls the President? Do we have a thread on that?? I can't seem to find it if we do.. AND since I can't find it, maybe you all could give me your impressions of the special.. I just watched it yesterday... and while I think some of it is good.. especially GALE, VIV and MARY (Wicks and Jane Croft).. they can keep Ed McMahon.. and that LOW VOICED RED HEAD... wow... I can't believe I said that.. she is good.. but someone needs to tell her she is unable to do what she used to do since her voice has dropped (like cry) .. I am not trying to piss anyone off.. just my take.. on a special that, when it first aired, I don't remember anything about (I was 8 when it was broadcast and all I remeber is the peanut teethed presidential cake).. What are your opinions??? And why video tape?? Was it cheaper?? (probably so.. cheaper seems to win out with the later projects)..but surely she knew video tape wasn't going to do her any favors in the looks department..and she had a different make up guy .. I think Fred Williams.. instead of Hal King.. that makes a difference too... it really was fun seeing her and Viv together again.. and I loved every moment Gale was on.. he just keeps cracking me up the more I get to know his work! Overall, I thought it a nice special that really delivered a socko LUCY show.. Bob and Madaline writting the script, Marc Daniels directing... Gary Morton producing (that could be one thing that is wrong with it).. comments?

Not one of the better specials she had. But I think the reason I have so much love for it is clearly because it was Lucy and Viv's first performance together since season 4 of HL and it was their last. The whole icing scene wins the whole special for me.

YOU know what?? I was just in a dark place the first time I saw it.. I tell you... reguardless of the low voice.. LUCY is the greatest.. LOVE the reaction to.. "the president is coming to my HOUSE!".. and the microphone thing with the cliped microphone.. and GALE saying he'd put a curse on her but somebody beat him to it.. I freakin loved it.. just what we needed.. the whole gang back for some fun...

YOU know what?? I was just in a dark place the first time I saw it.. I tell you... reguardless of the low voice.. LUCY is the greatest.. LOVE the reaction to.. "the president is coming to my HOUSE!".. and the microphone thing with the cliped microphone.. and GALE saying he'd put a curse on her but somebody beat him to it.. I freakin loved it.. just what we needed.. the whole gang back for some fun...

Oh yes! The clipped microphone part is the best part of the special besides the icing part. It's just a taste of old Lucy and her favorite and most frequent co-stats.

[quote name=DroopyDrawers :D' timestamp='1339187669' post='39199]

Oh yes! The clipped microphone part is the best part of the special besides the icing part. It's just a taste of old Lucy and her favorite and most frequent co-stats.

Yes, nothing quite like seeing her with her old co-stat Viv Vance! lucythrill.JPGmarionstrong.giflucydisgust.JPG

.. and I loved every moment Gale was on.. he just keeps cracking me up the more I get to know his work!

It's funny you should mention that. I was the same way. Before the local Christian station CTS began airing TLS in 2001, I was more familiar with the first season of TLS. At the time, I had only seen the episodes available on Columbia House and I was completely neutral on him, but after watching the second season all the way through from "Cleopatra", about midway through I was in awe of his comic genius. lol

The thing I like best with Lucy Calls The President, is the reunion of Lucy, Gale, Mary Jane, Mary W., and especially Viv! Now knowing Vivian Vance would be gone with-in 2 years of this special, makes this last "Lucy" appearance for her so wonderful to have!:) It would have been cool if they did a couple of sequels, with Lucy Whittaker and friends in Indiana!

Archived