Life with Lucy

Just recently finished watching 12 of the 13 episodes.

I would give the series 5/10. Lucy and Gale are the only things worth watching in the show. The supporting cast was quite dreadful - Lucy's screen daughter shouting out her lines; the grand children's overacting. Can't really decide on what was the best episode. I understand that Audrey Meadows was possibly considered for a regular role like Vivian, had the series continued. Was Mary Jane Croft approached to appear at all ???

Just recently finished watching 12 of the 13 episodes.

I would give the series 5/10. Lucy and Gale are the only things worth watching in the show. The supporting cast was quite dreadful - Lucy's screen daughter shouting out her lines; the grand children's overacting. Can't really decide on what was the best episode. I understand that Audrey Meadows was possibly considered for a regular role like Vivian, had the series continued. Was Mary Jane Croft approached to appear at all ???

yeah I agree lolz. I think my favorite episode has to be the one with the computer and the Audrey Meadows episode and maybe the one with the teddy bear. I didn't hate every episode, but some of it was just very difficult to watch. The writing could've been WAY better. It probably wouldn't have gone on too long anyway because Lucille had a stroke in 1988 and died in 1989.

I think 5/10 is pretty harsh I've watched all episodes and I would give it more than 5/10. Dunno if MJC was approached but yes I agree with Lucy's screen daughter, she was horrendous! I thought all episodes were sickly sweet, it was 2 Brady Bunch for my liking but it was a nice show to sit down with the family and watch, it was a family fun comedy that should have been given a longer run considering the crap that's on the screens these days!

yeah I agree lolz. I think my favorite episode has to be the one with the computer and the Audrey Meadows episode and maybe the one with the teddy bear. I didn't hate every episode, but some of it was just very difficult to watch. The writing could've been WAY better. It probably wouldn't have gone on too long anyway because Lucille had a stroke in 1988 and died in 1989.

It could have easily lasted 2 seasons, I feel that if it had lasted Lucy might not have had a stroke nor passed away in 1989, she could have lived till 1999!

It could have easily lasted 2 seasons, I feel that if it had lasted Lucy might not have had a stroke nor passed away in 1989, she could have lived till 1999!

I disagree, the daughter was fine, the kids were horrible though. As was the writing. I agree though that Lucy might have lived longer, had she had work to go on.

I disagree, the daughter was fine, the kids were horrible though. As was the writing. I agree though that Lucy might have lived longer, had she had work to go on.

I must be the only person who liked the grandkids. Jenny Lewis had good chemestry with Lucy, particularly in Sax Symbol. The two I felt detracted from the show were Ann D. and Donovan Scott. The latter, in particular. It seemed like Leonard Stoner somehow fell off the page of a Gilligan's Island script and landed in a Lucy series.

I must be the only person who liked the grandkids. Jenny Lewis had good chemestry with Lucy, particularly in Sax Symbol. The two I felt detracted from the show were Ann D. and Donovan Scott. The latter, in particular. It seemed like Leonard Stoner somehow fell off the page of a Gilligan's Island script and landed in a Lucy series.

I liked the grandkids very much, it was just Ann D I didn't like. Donovan Scott was funny, but I got the impression that he KNEW he was funny :)

After watching them (some for the first time), I wonder if CBS/Paramount will ever release them on DVD after they finish the Lucy Show releases. I fear they may not.

I really do hope so, it would be fantastic to finally have them all in perfect crystal clear quality.

After watching them (some for the first time), I wonder if CBS/Paramount will ever release them on DVD after they finish the Lucy Show releases. I fear they may not.

Aaron Spelling's share of the series is owned by the Lucy-Desi Center. I assume Lucy's share is still owned by Lucie and Desi. It has nothing to do with CBS or Paramount.

Oh i wholeheartedly agree, some of those actors needed a good dose of valium, they were bouncing off the walls, but that was the famous Lucy delivery of screaming out the lines which i always hated, a good director would have told her to let everybody speak normally but loud to be heard by the back rows and register the laughs on the soundtrack, but without the constant screaming which had made Gale's character so annoying on the previous series, see how great he is on this show, with his yelling more subdued? In the Meadows ep, the best one, he can do more with subtlety and subdued gestures than he ever did with that bombastic screaming.

Yeha it seemed like the actors were always SCREAMING their lines, particularly in the "pilot."

Margo: NOTHING DEAR, it's just that we haven't told GRANDPA that GRANDMA has moved in!

Becky: GRANDMA, YOUR ROOM IS A MESS! It looks like KEVIN'S ROOM!

I would def. give it a 7 out of 10 though. I think the general public felt bad for poor Lucy because she deserved much better. I heard somewhere that while Bob and Madelyn wrote really great scripts, Aaron Spelling often would re-write them and make it much worse.

I really loved the computer episode (VEGGIE TIME!) up until the end when they thought Curtis died because of a typo on the bank letter. And I liked the Saxaphone episode but those howling "dogs" made me cringe because it sounded SO FAKE. They could've at least added in sound effects of real dogs. And I couldn't believe Curtis poured the chocolate mousse or whatever down the sax and Lucy got all pouty and did the cry. That was so mean! lolz.

Also did not a lot of people watch it because it was on Saturday night on ABC? They probably weren't used to seeing Lucy on Saturday night instead of Monday night.

Oh well, happy 24th anniversary LWL.

[quote name=DroopyDrawers :D' timestamp='1285516783' post='1534]

I've only seen one or two episodes of this series on YouTube, which is the worse quality you can think of. I'm just waiting for the day these 13 episodes will be released on DVD. So I can see it and not get a migrane.

Trust me ....no matter how you watch them....is no guarantee you still won't get a migraine! Oy! blink.gif

Archived