William Windom has passed away

tjw

Sad news: Just read via a Facebook posting that William Windom ("Lucy Digs Up a Date"), perhaps best known for his part as Dr. Hazlitt on MURDER SHE WROTE and as Senator Morley on THE FARMER'S DAUGHTER, passed away last night. Do not know details. Am sure there will be on-line obits later in the day....

That is so sad. He was great as Old Man Taylor. ( :viv2: If that's an old man, I'm joining the senior citizens! :HALKING: ) Was he the last survivor of Lucy Carmichael's Danfield love interests?

The banner pic: Lucy never looked lovelier. William Windom: there was nothing common about his denominator.

And the other one-date Carmichael fanciers: has Umberto gone to that country club dance in the sky?

I remember the great Mr Windom from his tv show My World and Welcome to it, for which i think he got the Emmy as best actor one year. I certainly never saw him on murder she wrote as i never watched that show. He was great on The Lucy Show ep.

Much later---I would say the mid 90s----he was great as the sour-puss patriarch in "Parenthood", the half-hour sitcom version of the hit theatrical movie. The Steve Martin role was taken by Ed Begley Jr. and William's wife was Sheila MacRae. I think Jason Robards had William's part in the movie. It was a great little sitcom, one of the first without a laugh track, but it didn't last long.

One scene I remember: At a big family dinner, one of the (adult) daughters gives a long sentimental speech about how great it is to be all together, how important family is, etc. When she's getting to the toasting part, William looks around the table and interrupts her with "What? No GRAVY???"

Much later---I would say the mid 90s----he was great as the sour-puss patriarch in "Parenthood", the half-hour sitcom version of the hit theatrical movie. The Steve Martin role was taken by Ed Begley Jr. and William's wife was Sheila MacRae. I think Jason Robards had William's part in the movie. It was a great little sitcom, one of the first without a laugh track, but it didn't last long.

One scene I remember: At a big family dinner, one of the (adult) daughters gives a long sentimental speech about how great it is to be all together, how important family is, etc. When she's getting to the toasting part, William looks around the table and interrupts her with "What? No GRAVY???"

Yes, Jason had the role in the movie, everybody in that movie was great. I don't recall the show you are referring to, guess you're saying it did not last long was spot on.

Archived