What You Can Find in Jamestown

Jamestown, I think, still has many things to offer Lucy fans. The Lucy-Desi Museum, with a new optional audio guide narrated by Lucie Arnaz, offers a look at the personal lives of Lucy and Desi. There are many groovy things in the museum, though it does have room for plenty more. The museum moved to a new, bigger location 4 years ago. The exhibits really have not changed much since moving to the new location, and because the space is bigger and less filled it has a little bit of an empty feel in certain rooms, but still definitely a worthwhile visit. The Desilu Playhouse (or "Studios" as it's now called) is right next door. That is, essentially, an I Love Lucy museum, with a little bit of My Favorite Husband thrown in at the entrance. Here is where you'll see the set replicas, costumes, and other authentic artifacts from the show. The color version of "Lucy Goes to Scotland" has also been playing on loop repeatedly for the past 4 or 5 years. LOL. There are also 4 big Lucille Ball and I Love Lucy murals throughout downtown Jamestown, which are fun to see. If you go during the festival weekend, there's an excellent bus tour (I take it every year - so 11 times in total lol) which points out Lucy related spots (and other spots of historical interest) around downtown Jamestown and neighboring Celoron, where Lucy grew up. This is where you'll see Lucy's childhood home and gravesite (and these spots are easy to get to on your own if you don't go when there's a bus tour). Finally, if you're a history buff, I'd highly recommend taking a trip over to the Fenton Museum. Besides offering a fascinating look at the history of Jamestown and the surrounding area, there's a very groovy Lucille Ball room. So, despite the new direction that the Center is taking, if you can swing it, I'd say Jamestown is definitely still worth at least one trip. B)

Jamestown, I think, still has many things to offer Lucy fans. The Lucy-Desi Museum, with a new optional audio guide narrated by Lucie Arnaz, offers a look at the personal lives of Lucy and Desi. There are many groovy things in the museum, though it does have room for plenty more. The museum moved to a new, bigger location 4 years ago. The exhibits really have not changed much since moving to the new location, and because the space is bigger and less filled it has a little bit of an empty feel in certain rooms, but still definitely a worthwhile visit. The Desilu Playhouse (or "Studios" as it's now called) is right next door. That is, essentially, an I Love Lucy museum, with a little bit of My Favorite Husband thrown in at the entrance. Here is where you'll see the set replicas, costumes, and other authentic artifacts from the show. The color version of "Lucy Goes to Scotland" has also been playing on loop repeatedly for the past 4 or 5 years. LOL. There are also 4 big Lucille Ball and I Love Lucy murals throughout downtown Jamestown, which are fun to see. If you go during the festival weekend, there's an excellent bus tour (I take it every year - so 11 times in total lol) which points out Lucy related spots (and other spots of historical interest) around downtown Jamestown and neighboring Celoron, where Lucy grew up. This is where you'll see Lucy's childhood home and gravesite (and these spots are easy to get to on your own if you don't go when there's a bus tour). Finally, if you're a history buff, I'd highly recommend taking a trip over to the Fenton Museum. Besides offering a fascinating look at the history of Jamestown and the surrounding area, there's a very groovy Lucille Ball room. So, despite the new direction that the Center is taking, if you can swing it, I'd say Jamestown is definitely still worth at least one trip. B)

Thank you so much! That's very helpful. So glad the set replicas are there.

I was so happy to read all that, i always thought the best thing about Jamestown was it's proximity to the hustle and bustle of beautiful downtown Pittsburgh. :lucyshock:

I was so happy to read all that, i always thought the best thing about Jamestown was it's proximity to the hustle and bustle of beautiful downtown Pittsburgh. :lucyshock:

Our 'hustle and bustle' would be Buffalo; and THAT's STILL 90 miles north and slightly west; another nearly 30 miles to Niagara Falls; if you are going to SLAM JAMESTOWN, get it right.... I believe we're ALSO closer, by a few miles, to Rochester NY, north and EAST, than Pitt...:marionstrong:

Our 'hustle and bustle' would be Buffalo; and THAT's STILL 90 miles north and slightly west; another nearly 30 miles to Niagara Falls; if you are going to SLAM JAMESTOWN, get it right.... I believe we're ALSO closer, by a few miles, to Rochester NY, north and EAST, than Pitt...:marionstrong:

I joked about Pittsburgh as it has a rep for being a steel town, old and ugly. My best friend's brother lived there for years and years, or maybe it was just a year but seemed like years and years, LOL!

Archived