Lucy's appearance in TLS vs. HL

Lucy looked very different in season 1 of Here's Lucy, than in season 6 of The Lucy Show which ended the same year. Was it just the makeup or her shorter wig? Her eyes looked a lot bigger especially in seasons 1 and 2. Maybe because of her shorter wig, it made her eyes look bigger. Do you prefer the way she looked on The Lucy Show or Here's Lucy?

I loved her long wig in season 5 of HL (didn't she wear it in S6 too?) and basically every hairdo she had. She also was more fashionable too. On TLS she wore a lot of the same outfits, like the blue, beige and green button down shirts with black pants, or that grey suit (seen in "Lucy At Marineland"). But I prefer the makeup and wigs on TLS, especially in season 2, 4, 5, and 6. She looked a lot more youthful, but then again her character was kind of a crazy ding-a-ling. Was not crazy about her season 3 wig.

But do looks matter? As long as she was FUNNY, that's all that counts!

Lucy looked very different in season 1 of Here's Lucy, than in season 6 of The Lucy Show which ended the same year. Was it just the makeup or her shorter wig? Her eyes looked a lot bigger especially in seasons 1 and 2. Maybe because of her shorter wig, it made her eyes look bigger. Do you prefer the way she looked on The Lucy Show or Here's Lucy?

I loved her long wig in season 5 of HL (didn't she wear it in S6 too?) and basically every hairdo she had. She also was more fashionable too. On TLS she wore a lot of the same outfits, like the blue, beige and green button down shirts with black pants, or that grey suit (seen in "Lucy At Marineland"). But I prefer the makeup and wigs on TLS, especially in season 2, 4, 5, and 6. She looked a lot more youthful, but then again her character was kind of a crazy ding-a-ling. Was not crazy about her season 3 wig.

But do looks matter? As long as she was FUNNY, that's all that counts!

I think the shorter wig with less volume affected it, especially in the very first episode of HL but look at her in the later seasons with her longer wigs. They made her a lot younger. Oh yes and the change of styles! The bell-bottom pants, the go-go boots, big polka dots with the long collars, and those big bow blouses in HL looked great on her. But also in season one of HL you could tell they were trying a bunch of different make up techniques also. In a few episodes she has some bottom false eyelashes, I do not think those looked that great. Made her look a lot older. If I do recall they had her wearing more browns for her eye shadow then blues in season one of HL also. Think that did affect the eye area a bit.

But I adored the way Lucy's hair was in the last seasons of TLS, very voluminous! But her look did change from TLS and HL in one short break. But her outfits in HL were a lot more stylish and fit her great, even though her best wardrobe in a series was ILL in my opinion. Love her in those hoop skirts and polka dots!

I think the shorter wig with less volume affected it, especially in the very first episode of HL but look at her in the later seasons with her longer wigs. They made her a lot younger. Oh yes and the change of styles! The bell-bottom pants, the go-go boots, big polka dots with the long collars, and those big bow blouses in HL looked great on her. But also in season one of HL you could tell they were trying a bunch of different make up techniques also. In a few episodes she has some bottom false eyelashes, I do not think those looked that great. Made her look a lot older. If I do recall they had her wearing more browns for her eye shadow then blues in season one of HL also. Think that did affect the eye area a bit.

But I adored the way Lucy's hair was in the last seasons of TLS, very voluminous! But her look did change from TLS and HL in one short break. But her outfits in HL were a lot more stylish and fit her great, even though her best wardrobe in a series was ILL in my opinion. Love her in those hoop skirts and polka dots!

BOTTOM eyelashes? Are you serious? Aren't those just painted on?

I loved it when she came on Here's Lucy season one and looked so much younger in that short hair. And i agree although she had to wear the styles of the period and that period had some very ugly styles that she did dress better at the end, those silk blouses like the one on the Ginger Rogers ep was great on her.

It's her hair - as simple as that - her hair always changed her appearance - I always found though (in general) longer hair made her look younger and shorter hair made her look older. When I say shorter hair I'm not referring to length, I'm referring to volumne. This is why it's amazing how different she looks from Season 6 of TLS to Season 1 of HL. The lack of length and lack of volume at the beginning of Here's Lucy Season 1 definitely made her look older.

But in saying that this also wasn't necessarily that true because personally I think she looks terrible in the opening credits of Here's Lucy and there is lots of voume so I'm not sure why she looks bad, but she does - I think it's the way the volume has been styled - not sure what they have done to her hair but I don't like it! It makes her look really old. I remember when I first watched Here's Lucy and saw her in the opening credits I was shocked and couldn't believe how old she looked but as soon as the show started she looked good again :-)

So my conclusion is that the length/style/volume of her hair will always change her appearance for the worse or for the better!

It's her hair - as simple as that - her hair always changed her appearance - I always found though (in general) longer hair made her look younger and shorter hair made her look older. When I say shorter hair I'm not referring to length, I'm referring to volumne. This is why it's amazing how different she looks from Season 6 of TLS to Season 1 of HL. The lack of length and lack of volume at the beginning of Here's Lucy Season 1 definitely made her look older.

But in saying that this also wasn't necessarily that true because personally I think she looks terrible in the opening credits of Here's Lucy and there is lots of voume so I'm not sure why she looks bad, but she does - I think it's the way the volume has been styled - not sure what they have done to her hair but I don't like it! It makes her look really old. I remember when I first watched Here's Lucy and saw her in the opening credits I was shocked and couldn't believe how old she looked but as soon as the show started she looked good again :-)

So my conclusion is that the length/style/volume of her hair will always change her appearance for the worse or for the better!

I thought the rule was always longer hair makes one look youthful but i disagree with you on the first season of Here's Lucy, i thought that short hair made her look YOUNGER, but of course i'm the first one to add that the Dean Martin ep of The Lucy Show with her longer hair REALLY made her look younger. But look at older Ginger Rogers and older Mae West and they look ancient with their long locks, of course WHITE hair in length ain't gonna make anyone look younger i guess.

I thought the rule was always longer hair makes one look youthful but i disagree with you on the first season of Here's Lucy, i thought that short hair made her look YOUNGER, but of course i'm the first one to add that the Dean Martin ep of The Lucy Show with her longer hair REALLY made her look younger. But look at older Ginger Rogers and older Mae West and they look ancient with their long locks, of course WHITE hair in length ain't gonna make anyone look younger i guess.

Oh honey, long white hair on ANYONE will make anyone look ancient! :lucythrill:

Your right.

I also think Lucy was probably a bit puffier when going into Heres Lucy. That can age her a little.

Besides that though, overall, I think she looks the same as she did The Lucy Show-Look at The Star Maker and the second scene of HLs Lucy Sell Craig to Wayne Newton

she looks practically the same, I think. The volume to the hair did make her look younger IMO, that and the longer look.

The make up was also a big part. The lighter the lips, the less glamorous Ive found.

In HL, Lucy seemed to not really care about the bow lips showing so much. A LOT of the lighting shines on the fake line of her lips, and them being so orangish pink, Lucy doesn't have the famous bow look always present., which is fine, but doesn't look thick and red, and vivacious like season 2 and 3 of TLS with the candy red lips.

But I think once the season picks up, Lucy starts losing weight, the wigs frame her face better, and in many ways, even though it seems A LOT darker than TLS, HL does show Lucy in some good moments.

The biggest thing I notice is how HORRID Lucy sounds, I feel so bad for her and her voice, and how she sounds. I hope it wasn't painful, because it sounds like it was.

Your right.

I also think Lucy was probably a bit puffier when going into Heres Lucy. That can age her a little.

Besides that though, overall, I think she looks the same as she did The Lucy Show-Look at The Star Maker and the second scene of HLs Lucy Sell Craig to Wayne Newton

she looks practically the same, I think. The volume to the hair did make her look younger IMO, that and the longer look.

The make up was also a big part. The lighter the lips, the less glamorous Ive found.

In HL, Lucy seemed to not really care about the bow lips showing so much. A LOT of the lighting shines on the fake line of her lips, and them being so orangish pink, Lucy doesn't have the famous bow look always present., which is fine, but doesn't look thick and red, and vivacious like season 2 and 3 of TLS with the candy red lips.

But I think once the season picks up, Lucy starts losing weight, the wigs frame her face better, and in many ways, even though it seems A LOT darker than TLS, HL does show Lucy in some good moments.

The biggest thing I notice is how HORRID Lucy sounds, I feel so bad for her and her voice, and how she sounds. I hope it wasn't painful, because it sounds like it was.

In my post I meant to mention the lips also! I love her lips espec in the 2 and 3 season of TLS they just stood out! Same with Viv!

I always wondered that to. Was it painful when she would talk? I'm guessing it had to be painful smoking at times. Yikes! Like in most of her interviews she always needs that glass of water because of her 'cotton mouth' maybe her voice was the cause of that. Seems like such a strain on her vocal chords!

Your right.

Lucy had a trademark, those bow lips were a big part of it, and she kept up that style way past it's prime.

In my post I meant to mention the lips also! I love her lips espec in the 2 and 3 season of TLS they just stood out! Same with Viv!

I always wondered that to. Was it painful when she would talk? I'm guessing it had to be painful smoking at times. Yikes! Like in most of her interviews she always needs that glass of water because of her 'cotton mouth' maybe her voice was the cause of that. Seems like such a strain on her vocal chords!

Well, that's what cigarettes do to you, until they kill you flat out!

Well, that's what cigarettes do to you, until they kill you flat out!

What was your favorite Lucy hairstyle in either TLS or HL? I liked her wig in season 2, 4, 5 and 6 of The Lucy Show. The only time I really liked it in season 3 was in the Missing Stamp episode. And I love her long haired wig in season 5 of Here's Lucy. Wasn't crazy about the short wig she wore at the end of season 5, early season 6, after being seen in the long hair for most of S5. In season 1 and 2, she looked so much older, with the shorter wig and big bugged out eyes and her outfits. It made her seem much more "mature" since she was a single mother, and plus her character was more mature than Lucy Carmichael. I think near the end of season 2 her wig changed just a tad.

Also, I haven't seen every episode of season 6 of HL--did she wear the shorter wig more? I know she wore it in the Andy Griffith episode.

What was your favorite Lucy hairstyle in either TLS or HL? I liked her wig in season 2, 4, 5 and 6 of The Lucy Show. The only time I really liked it in season 3 was in the Missing Stamp episode. And I love her long haired wig in season 5 of Here's Lucy. Wasn't crazy about the short wig she wore at the end of season 5, early season 6, after being seen in the long hair for most of S5. In season 1 and 2, she looked so much older, with the shorter wig and big bugged out eyes and her outfits. It made her seem much more "mature" since she was a single mother, and plus her character was more mature than Lucy Carmichael. I think near the end of season 2 her wig changed just a tad.

Also, I haven't seen every episode of season 6 of HL--did she wear the shorter wig more? I know she wore it in the Andy Griffith episode.

The hair in season six made her look a lot older IMO, and those damned flat shoes she always wore with her short men co stars, sheesh! I feared she'd go to orthopedic shoes next! :lucydisgust:

Lucy's voice deeper not just to smoking. She strained her vocal cords in Wildcat and talking unnaturally high for years. I think Lucy's change in voice is what makes Here's Lucy sad because you can see her age. The lightning or film quality isn't as crisp or good as The Lucy Show. I love The Lucy Show appearance she had as well as Yours, Mine and Ours. Lucy looked the best she had in years. Her hair with a lot of volume tooks years off her. Watch 1988's Bob Hope Special and Lucy's volumous hair makes her look twenty years younger as well as great lightning. (Lucy's best 1980s performance)

Lucy's voice deeper not just to smoking. She strained her vocal cords in Wildcat and talking unnaturally high for years. I think Lucy's change in voice is what makes Here's Lucy sad because you can see her age. The lightning or film quality isn't as crisp or good as The Lucy Show. I love The Lucy Show appearance she had as well as Yours, Mine and Ours. Lucy looked the best she had in years. Her hair with a lot of volume tooks years off her. Watch 1988's Bob Hope Special and Lucy's volumous hair makes her look twenty years younger as well as great lightning. (Lucy's best 1980s performance)

What are you talking about? That was her voice! And yes, smoking -- not to mention a little bourbon, etc. here and there! -- had a lot to do with it. Nces pas? lucyhorror.JPG

True, but ciggies were the main culprit, i dunno why people keep bringing up booze, it's not like she was a drunk or something. You think booze attacks the vocal chords? I'll have to write Dr Oz about this. :lucythrill:

Alcohol actually does dry out and dehydrate your vocal chords. I sing with a choir, and I would never drink right before and certainly not during a performance. This doesn't mean that you can never or should never drink, but if you're a singer or a performer who uses her voice frequently, it's something to think about. But I would agree with you that the change in Lucy's voice probably had more to do with cigarettes (main culprit I think), years of speaking in an unnaturally high voice, and improper projection techniques during Wildcat and on her TV show.

Alcohol actually does dry out and dehydrate your vocal chords. I sing with a choir, and I would never drink right before and certainly not during a performance. This doesn't mean that you can never or should never drink, but if you're a singer or a performer who uses her voice frequently, it's something to think about. But I would agree with you that the change in Lucy's voice probably had more to do with cigarettes (main culprit I think), years of speaking in an unnaturally high voice, and improper projection techniques during Wildcat and on her TV show.

I actually kind of her like her voice in the later seasons of HL. Why did she insist on everybody projecting their lines?

True, but ciggies were the main culprit, i dunno why people keep bringing up booze, it's not like she was a drunk or something. You think booze attacks the vocal chords? I'll have to write Dr Oz about this. :lucythrill:

Drinking, yelling, and smoking are main cause of laryngitis so I wouldn't be surprised if it could affect vocal cords permanently.

Hit it right on the head! She wasn't no alcoholic, even though many people believe that to be so. I'm surprised Desi didn't lose his voice or had a change in it honestly.

Archived