The "Fred & Ethel" Spinoff - Episode Guide

What if Vivian Vance had agreed to go ahead with Desi's proposed Fred & Ethel spinoff? How do you suppose the series might've played out?

The Mertzes - 1957

Starring

Vivian Vance as Ethel Mertz

William Frawley as Fred Mertz

Doris Singleton as Carolyn Appleby

Hy Averback as Charlie Appleby

1.1 - One Good Tenant Deserves Another

The pilot finds Fred & Ethel relocating back to 623 East 68th Street, after Mrs. Trumbull's sister has to move out for a family emergency and can't manage the building for them anymore. As Lucy has gotten the Ramseys to take over chicken duties, the Ricardos will get along without them. Ethel barely has time to miss Lucy when she has new tenants to help move in. To her surprise, she finds that Carolyn and Charlie Appleby have rented Lucy & Ricky's old apartment. Without Lucy in the way to provoke competition, Ethel finds Carolyn to be a much nicer person than she ever did before, and they soon quickly form a stronger friendship than ever before. But the Applebys may be moving out just as soon as they moved in, for miserly Fred learns of Charlie's prominent job in TV and immediately doubles the rent. It's up to Ethel & Carolyn to cool the men down so everybody can stay put.

1.2 - Ethel Gets in Showbiz

It's the Mertzes 30th wedding anniversary, and Ethel is finally read to go to a nightclub. Fred, however, once again has his heart set on seeing the fights. Determined to win this time, she makes a bold move and goes to the Club Babalu, where she convinces Ricky Ricardo to let her dance with his chorus girls for one night only: the night of their anniversary. So the Mertzes do spend their anniversary at a nightclub: Fred in the audience with the Applebys and Ethel onstage. (special guest star: Desi Arnaz)

1.3 - The Club Competitors

After taking a break while living in Connecticut, the women of the Wednesday Afternoon Fine Arts League are only too happy to accept Ethel back as a member. It's time once again for the elections, and Ethel thinks she has a fair shot of becoming President without Lucy there to interfere. But then Marion Strong brings along a new recruit, Mabel DeVries (Bea Benaderet), who sweeps the club women off their feet with her grand stories of her life among the cream of society and her association with the arts. Soon it seems everyone wants her for president, but Ethel and Carolyn aren't wooed in at all. They conspire to dig up some dirt on her with no luck, so must resort to a smear campaign. The other club women are so insulted they threaten to throw Carolyn and Ethel out of the group, until an unlikely ally comes to the rescue: Mabel. She admits she may have moved too fast, and that it wouldn't be right for a newcomer to steal the election from a seasoned member. So Ethel becomes president, and Carolyn vice-president, while their "new best friend" Mabel is happy to wait her turn.

ETHEL: Carolyn, get my new sign!

CAROLYN: You mean the one that says: "Go for experience, don't be a snitch. Mabel DeVries is a rotten..."

ETHEL: THAT'S THE ONE!!!

1.4 - The TV Revue

Charlie's producing another talent hour for his TV station, and asks the Mertzes to appear based on their experience in vaudeville. Fred & Ethel whip out all their old faves (Carolina in the Morning, etc.) and Ethel and Carolyn decide to do a number together: Humoresque/Swanee River, with Ethel playing Humoresque on the piano and Carolyn Swanee River on the violin. Unfortunately, Fred happens to carry on a loud conversation with Charlie about the show while Ethel's on the phone with Lucy. Lucy overhears and wants in, of course, but Ethel tells her they're all booked and hangs up. But now everyone's on edge, fearing Lucy will crash the night of the broadcast. Charlie hires extra security, but all seems quiet. The show goes off without a hitch, and now it's time for Carolyn and Ethel's finale. Halfway through Humoresque/Swanee, however, a third melody joins the mix: Sweet Sue, played on a warbling saxaphone as Lucy bumbles onto the set. Ethel and Carolyn throw up their hands in disgust and walk off, leaving Lucy to close the show...as usual. (Special Cameo Appearance: Lucille Ball).

Love all of these! The new dynamic for Carolyn and Charlie is terrific!

1.5 -- Fred's Will

When Fred (A.K.A. Baby Snooks) comes down with the flu, he thinks it's all over. Never wanting to "buy green bananas", he decides his impending death is the perfect time to re-draft his will, but without Ethel's knowledge...so he asks Carolyn and her laywer uncle to help him. The first order of business is to reluctantly leave all of his wordly belongings to his Charming Child Bride of 1934. If Ethel should predecease him, however, he asks Carolyn to write down the proviso that his sole heir is godson Ricky Ricardo, Jr. Considering how close the Mertzes and Applebys have become lately, Carolyn is highly offended that Fred plans on leaving nothing to Little Stevie and an all-out feud erupts around Fred's sick bed.

Guest Star: Charles Lane as Carolyn's uncle.

Love all of these! The new dynamic for Carolyn and Charlie is terrific!

1.5 -- Fred's Will

When Fred (A.K.A. Baby Snooks) comes down with the flu, he thinks it's all over. Never wanting to "buy green bananas", he decides his impending death is the perfect time to re-draft his will, but without Ethel's knowledge...so he asks Carolyn and her laywer uncle to help him. The first order of business is to reluctantly leave all of his wordly belongings to his Charming Child Bride of 1934. If Ethel should predecease him, however, he asks Carolyn to write down the proviso that his sole heir is godson Ricky Ricardo, Jr. Considering how close the Mertzes and Applebys have become lately, Carolyn is highly offended that Fred plans on leaving nothing to Little Stevie and an all-out feud erupts around Fred's sick bed.

Guest Star: Charles Lane as Carolyn's uncle.

Great!!!

1.6 - Gone With the Albequerque Wind

Billy Hackett comes to New York to meet with a publishing house about his new manuscript. Of course, he has to pay a visit to dear Ethel Mae, his old high school sweetheart. Ethel is delighted to see him, Fred not so much. Fred's even more disgruntled when he learns Billy's book, "Shrinking Violet", is a thinly disguised account of his romance with Ethel and his continued affection for her.

Ethel is enraptured by the book and by the glamorized version of herself Billy wrote: Evelyn Faye Kotter, a small town girl with big dreams who moved to New York and became the toast of Broadway, and the small town boy, Buddy Thatcher, who spent all his money to go to the Big Apple and find his lost love, carrying a banner that read: "Evelyn Faye Kotter, I Never Forgot Her!"

Fred, thoroughly disgusted, decides to make a few re-writes on the manuscript while Billy and Ethel are out at dinner, turning Evelyn into "Enid Flurtz", a frumpy old has-been who bosses her poor old husband Ned Flurtz around, and who chases away a drippy old boyfriend who comes knocking. Totally unaware, Billy presents it to the publisher, who loves it and immediately buys it! Fred is shocked, not thinking it would go this far, and tries to swap it with the original manuscript before Honeybunch lowers the boom on him.

• 1 month later...

1.7 - Ethel & Fred Make a Comeback

When Ethel learns that Mr. Littlefield is now manager of the New Amsterdam Theatre on Broadway, she and Fred eagerly go down to see him, to see if he remembers them and will give them an audition. Unfortunately, Mr. Littlefield does remember the biscuit thrower and her husband all too well, and throws them out. Desperate, they call up Hal King, borrow his costume trunk again and attend an open casting call in various disguises hoping to land parts. Special Guest Stars: Gale Gordon & Edith Meiser.

1.8 - Carolyn's Sister Moves In

Carolyn's estranged sister Lillian (Eve Arden) is in town, claiming to be broke and homeless after a failed romance, but Carolyn refuses to take her in. The Mertzes take pity on her and give Lillian their couch until she gets her feet back on the ground. When Carolyn finds out, she warns the Mertzes that her sister is a con-artist and will try to take advantage of them. But Lillian seems so kind and sweet they don't listen. Soon, however, she works her wiles on Fred and begins manipulating him to do things for her...until pretty soon he's disinhereted Ethel and made Lillian his sole heir! Ethel now must conspire with Fred to teach old Lil' a lesson.

Hey LB (aka Brian)

Reading these brought back a few memories... because, believe it or not, I have indulged in a similar exercise on at least two previous occasions. The most recent time was probably 10 or 15 years ago... Why, I don't remember. Probably needed something to fill a rainy Saturday...

The first time, UGH!, was over the Christmas holidays in (GULP), 1963. I was home sick and upset because CBS had cancelled Desilu's GLYNIS, only to replace it with a God-awful "spin-off" from CANDID CAMERA called TELL IT TO THE CAMERA. I thought that even I could create a better show, and thought immediately of FRED AND ETHEL. (Forget the fact that in 1963, Vivian was happily ensconced at Lucy's side in THE LUCY SHOW, and Bill was co-starring every week on MY THREE SONS.) I thought they'd be perfect in that Wednesday-at-8:30 time slot being vacated by Glynis Johns...

Like you, I had the Mertzes move back into their Manhattan apartment building... But your addition of Carolyn and Charlie never occurred to me. What a stroke of genius!

I like your storylines very much, but a few of them sound like "I Love Carolyn," with Fred and Ethel again playing supporting roles. Which, I think, is one of the real challenges that even Desilu would have faced, had then gone ahead with a "Fred and Ethel" series. The Mertzes themselves would have to be "movers and shakers" that moved the plot along...

Maybe we were both wrong: instead of having the Mertzes move back to Manhattan, perhaps they should have moved out to Los Angeles or Albuquerque -- or someplace totally unrelated to "I Love Lucy" and be surrounded by an all new set of crazy characters. Who knows...

But thank you for creating the 8 storylines listed above... Trust me, they ARE lightyears ahead of TELL IT TO THE CAMERA!!!

TJW

Hey LB (aka Brian)

Reading these brought back a few memories... because, believe it or not, I have indulged in a similar exercise on at least two previous occasions. The most recent time was probably 10 or 15 years ago... Why, I don't remember. Probably needed something to fill a rainy Saturday...

The first time, UGH!, was over the Christmas holidays in (GULP), 1963. I was home sick and upset because CBS had cancelled Desilu's GLYNIS, only to replace it with a God-awful "spin-off" from CANDID CAMERA called TELL IT TO THE CAMERA. I thought that even I could create a better show, and thought immediately of FRED AND ETHEL. (Forget the fact that in 1963, Vivian was happily ensconced at Lucy's side in THE LUCY SHOW, and Bill was co-starring every week on MY THREE SONS.) I thought they'd be perfect in that Wednesday-at-8:30 time slot being vacated by Glynis Johns...

Like you, I had the Mertzes move back into their Manhattan apartment building... But your addition of Carolyn and Charlie never occurred to me. What a stroke of genius!

I like your storylines very much, but a few of them sound like "I Love Carolyn," with Fred and Ethel again playing supporting roles. Which, I think, is one of the real challenges that even Desilu would have faced, had then gone ahead with a "Fred and Ethel" series. The Mertzes themselves would have to be "movers and shakers" that moved the plot along...

Maybe we were both wrong: instead of having the Mertzes move back to Manhattan, perhaps they should have moved out to Los Angeles or Albuquerque -- or someplace totally unrelated to "I Love Lucy" and be surrounded by an all new set of crazy characters. Who knows...

But thank you for creating the 8 storylines listed above... Trust me, they ARE lightyears ahead of TELL IT TO THE CAMERA!!!

TJW

How neat to hear! Glad i'm not the only one who likes to dream of what could've been.

And yes, looking back, it's easy to see that I did put Carolyn first a few times. Ethel just fits so comfortably in that sidekick role it's not always easy to push her out in front.

I like your ideas about moving the Mertzes somewhere unrelated to traditional Lucy locales. Maybe Fred finally decides to buy that orange grove out in Pomona? Maybe the suits at Desilu feel the format is too similar and will shake things up for the next season...

Let's study on it. :marionstrong:

What if Vivian Vance had agreed to go ahead with Desi's proposed Fred & Ethel spinoff? How do you suppose the series might've played out?

The Mertzes - 1957

Starring

Vivian Vance as Ethel Mertz

William Frawley as Fred Mertz

Doris Singleton as Carolyn Appleby

Hy Averback as Charlie Appleby

1.1 - One Good Tenant Deserves Another

The pilot finds Fred & Ethel relocating back to 623 East 68th Street, after Mrs. Trumbull's sister has to move out for a family emergency and can't manage the building for them anymore. As Lucy has gotten the Ramseys to take over chicken duties, the Ricardos will get along without them. Ethel barely has time to miss Lucy when she has new tenants to help move in. To her surprise, she finds that Carolyn and Charlie Appleby have rented Lucy & Ricky's old apartment. Without Lucy in the way to provoke competition, Ethel finds Carolyn to be a much nicer person than she ever did before, and they soon quickly form a stronger friendship than ever before. But the Applebys may be moving out just as soon as they moved in, for miserly Fred learns of Charlie's prominent job in TV and immediately doubles the rent. It's up to Ethel & Carolyn to cool the men down so everybody can stay put.

1.2 - Ethel Gets in Showbiz

It's the Mertzes 30th wedding anniversary, and Ethel is finally read to go to a nightclub. Fred, however, once again has his heart set on seeing the fights. Determined to win this time, she makes a bold move and goes to the Club Babalu, where she convinces Ricky Ricardo to let her dance with his chorus girls for one night only: the night of their anniversary. So the Mertzes do spend their anniversary at a nightclub: Fred in the audience with the Applebys and Ethel onstage. (special guest star: Desi Arnaz)

1.3 - The Club Competitors

After taking a break while living in Connecticut, the women of the Wednesday Afternoon Fine Arts League are only too happy to accept Ethel back as a member. It's time once again for the elections, and Ethel thinks she has a fair shot of becoming President without Lucy there to interfere. But then Marion Strong brings along a new recruit, Mabel DeVries (Bea Benaderet), who sweeps the club women off their feet with her grand stories of her life among the cream of society and her association with the arts. Soon it seems everyone wants her for president, but Ethel and Carolyn aren't wooed in at all. They conspire to dig up some dirt on her with no luck, so must resort to a smear campaign. The other club women are so insulted they threaten to throw Carolyn and Ethel out of the group, until an unlikely ally comes to the rescue: Mabel. She admits she may have moved too fast, and that it wouldn't be right for a newcomer to steal the election from a seasoned member. So Ethel becomes president, and Carolyn vice-president, while their "new best friend" Mabel is happy to wait her turn.

ETHEL: Carolyn, get my new sign!

CAROLYN: You mean the one that says: "Go for experience, don't be a snitch. Mabel DeVries is a rotten..."

ETHEL: THAT'S THE ONE!!!

Brian! You are so clever! These are great and I love how you thought to bring Bea Benaderet back and as society matron Mabel DeVries yet! Priceless! lucythrill.JPG

"Drafted 2"

Fred is excited about attending the reunion of his WW1 Doughboys, especially when he reads the itinerary: starting in Germany they are going to sample 8 different kinds of beer and then take the train to Paris where the same young mademoiselles from 1918 will be waiting for them. When he takes his old uniform to Mother Carroll for alternations, Ethel assumes he's been drafted and....what else?...starts knitting him socks and weeping. Could she be pregnant? Impossible, things Fred and then he remembers the night when the button on his union suit gave way*. Mademoiselle Fifi: Barbara Pepper. Barney Kurtz: Charles Winniger. Herb Hurgesheimer: James Gleason. Mademoiselle Elle: Hazel Pearce.

*Seems like I used this plot device in another episode but since this is a remake, why not?

"Drafted 2"

Fred is excited about attending the reunion of his WW1 Doughboys, especially when he reads the itinerary: starting in Germany they are going to sample 8 different kinds of beer and then take the train to Paris where the same young mademoiselles from 1918 will be waiting for them. When he takes his old uniform to Mother Carroll for alternations, Ethel assumes he's been drafted and....what else?...starts knitting him socks and weeping. Could she be pregnant? Impossible, things Fred and then he remembers the night when the button on his union suit gave way*. Mademoiselle Fifi: Barbara Pepper. Barney Kurtz: Charles Winniger. Herb Hurgesheimer: James Gleason. Mademoiselle Elle: Hazel Pearce.

*Seems like I used this plot device in another episode but since this is a remake, why not?

Lordy, one "Drafted" was sufficient! :lucyhorror:

Mademoiselle Fifi: :marionstrong:

• 3 weeks later...

1.10 - The Social Climbers

Mabel is staying at the Waldorf and suggests to the women of the League that they should have their next meeting in her penthouse room. Everyone is ecstatic about this news, especially Ethel, as she never made it over there to see Cynthia Harcourt all those years ago. She shares a cab with Carolyn, but they get stuck in traffic and are the last to arrive. They've almost reached the penthouse when the power goes out, leaving them trapped in the elevator. But by hook or by crook, Ethel's going to get into that penthouse, so she enlists Carolyn to climb onto the elevator roof with her and scale the rest of the way on foot!

1.11 - Don't Trust the B In Apartment 3D

New tenants have moved in next door to the Mertzes, Betty and Del Rhodes (Betty White & Del Moore). Ethel hits it off with Betty immediately, but things turn ice cold when Carolyn bumps into Betty, as the two of them used to be rivals in school and still hold a grudge. Ethel splits her time between the two women, but Betty is slowly turning her against Carolyn, and soon both women are giving Carolyn the cold shoulder. Fred hates the tension, so he talks to Carolyn to find out exactly what caused their rivalry and stages an intervention to reunite all three of them. In the end, peace prevails, but not without plenty of hair pulling first.

1.12 - Ethel's Makeover

Tiring of the same old clothes and the same old hairstyle, Ethel is treated to a makeover and a new outfit by Betty & Carolyn, who both chip in to help out as they both know how cheap Fred can be. Fred is delighted, but Del & Charlie are not, considering it was their money that paid for it. The women are so furious they all lock themselves in Ethel's bedroom and refuse to come out until the men have made up. While in there, Ethel has an idea, and treats Betty & Carolyn to makeovers and "new" outfits, courtesy of her old wardrobe. Once the wives put on a fashion show in Ethel's tacky old clothes, the men realize what a nice thing they did for Ethel and drop it, but not without a few stern suggestions to Fred that he loosen the money belt once in a while.

These are remarkably written, i love them Lotus Bud!! heres some other ideas

"A Visit From 'Ant Martha and Uncle Elmo'"

(Its Feb in New York)

When Ethel's uncle Elmo and aunt Martha are snowed in in NY, they ask to stay at the Mertzes apartment until the storm holds up .
The two couples hit it off perfectly. The homely Uncle Elmo loves his beer, pretzels and radio just like Fred-
Aunt Martha loves to sing for her women's club in her spare time (no matter how badly she may sound) and she also helps Uncle Elmo keep up on their small fix it shop back home- HOWEVER
problems arise when Aunt Martha (after noticing how Ethel and Fred interact with each other) asks Ethel how her romance life is, and finds that its not as exciting as she thinks it should be considering her marriage with uncle Elmo is still romantic.
Aunt Martha confides to Ethel that she and Uncle Elmo were having a low flame until they added more excitement into their lives:

"You gotta keep things fresh between ya, stay clear of the dull moments. Rearrange your meal schedules! Go out on a random day of the week instead of just the weekend"
"What do ya mean?."
"Well, When's the last time you and Fred had an exciting tuesday evenin' out on the town?"
"..The tuesday we got married!"

On their last day there, When Aunt Martha won't accept Ethel's answer that she and Fred are okay, Aunt Martha tells Uncle Elmo of her assumptions that the Mertzes wont last, and they both work together to bring them closer together
by setting up all kinds of romantic booby traps, trick romantic lighting, and recorded serenading songs from Aunt Martha. When things go haywire, The Mertzes end up laughing at their aunt and uncles attempts, and see their point to be a little more nicer to each other.

These are remarkably written, i love them Lotus Bud!! heres some other ideas

"A Visit From 'Ant Martha and Uncle Elmo'"

(Its Feb in New York)

When Ethel's aunt Martha are snowed in in NY, they ask to stay at the Mertzes apartment until the storm holds up .

The two couples hit it off perfectly. The homely Uncle Elmo loves his beer, pretzels and radio just like Fred-Aunt Martha

loves to sing for her women's club in her spare time (no matter how badly she may sound) and she also helps Uncle Elmo keep up on their small fix it shop- HOWEVER

problems arise when Aunt Martha asks Ethel how her romance life is, and finds that its not as exciting as she thinks it should be.

Aunt Martha confides to Ethel that she and Uncle Elmo were having a low flame until they added more excitement into their lives:

"You gotta keep things fresh between ya, stay clear of the dull moments. Rearrange your meal schedules! Go out on a random day of the week instead of just the weekend"

"What do ya mean?."

"Well, When's the last time you and Fred had an exciting tuesday evenin' out on the town?"

"..The tuesday we got married!"

On their last day there, When Aunt Martha wont accept Ethel's answer that she and Fred are okay, Aunt Martha tells Uncle Elmo of her assumptions that the Mertzes wont last, and they both work together to bring them closer together

by setting up all kinds of romantic booby traps, trick romantic lighting, and recorded serenading songs from Aunt Martha. When things go haywire, The Mertzes end up laughing at their aunt and uncles attempts, and see their point to be a little more nicer to each other.

Love it! Very clever to introduce characters that were only mentioned before...helps establish a continuity.

Who do you see playing Aunt Martha & Uncle Elmo?

• 1 month later...

You Got it! :) lol

Tis The Season Part 1

Ethel and Fred have decorated the apartment for the holidays and are planning to spend christmas with The Ricardos in the country, but just as they are wrapping presents christmas eve, Ethel is visited by her cousins from California, Grace and George Cooper (George Burns and Gracie Allen). Coming into NY to do a christmas benefit for George's old Lodge in Connecticut. Finding out that they are both going to Connecticut for Christmas, they plan their trip together and head to the country on the train. When the train stalls because of a small snow storm, the Mertzes, George and Gracie try out George's Christmas show acts (with full songs and magic tricks) to the patrons on the train until things get going again- 

Tis The Season Part 2
Making it to The Ricardos, Ethel, Fred and the Burns's come with presents and cheer- They all greet each other, while the Ricardos insist Georg and Grace stay with them for the holidays and christmas dinner, Lucy is a little down to see little Ricky thank his Uncle Fred for his christmas gifts, and not Santa Clause as he did last year (thinking he's too young to stop believing in Santa). When some of Georges acts are snowed-in in NY city, Ricky and George think of a creating a new kind of review/show with the gang including Betty and Ralph Ramsey-meanwhile Lucy, Ethel and Grace find ways to convince little Ricky Santa still exists by placing little things around the house that Santa would leave-even renting reindeer to place outside of the window, after all of the tricks dont work, Grace feels for Lucy, and asks George to dress as Santa and go on the roof as she dresses in an elf costume lol, When each couple has the same idea, and finds each other on the roof, they all go towards little Rickys room, but making too much weight, fall through the roof, right into his closet- they open the door, and come out to the stair case, finding little Ricky is asleep on the stairs below with a big sign that says- "to Santa, thanks for the early present". The next day on christmas, the gang celebrates at the lodge performing their entertaining christmas act.

• 2 weeks later...

"The Mertzes Are Moving (On Up)"

While getting ready to leave the Ricardos after the holidays, Ethel and Fred receive a wire from Mrs Trumble with an urgent marked letter attached. The letter is from the Tax bureau informing Fred of back taxes on the apartment building owed to he and Ethel. Ethel suggests to Fred they should fulfill their dream of getting a larger apartment and move upstairs into the STILL vacant apartment (from superman lol) knocking down a few walls and making a larger apartment as well as office space for Fred. Will Fred do it? :)

1.17 - Ethel Writes a Play

Now that Lucy's no longer a member, the WAFAL feels safe entering another playwriting competition, this time enlisting Ethel to pen the script. She writes "The Anderson Sisters", about three sisters who are a musical act like the Andrew's Sisters, envisioning herself, Carolyn and Betty Rhodes in the leading roles of Hattie (Ethel) Francine (Carolyn) and Lavender Anderson (Betty). Mabel DeVries is selected to direct, but soon begins to deem the script inferior and starts doing rewrites without Ethel's consent, turning them from singers into dancers and from sisters into a mother with her two daughters (with Ethel as the mother!). Ethel's put in an awkward spot because Carolyn and Betty feel that the changes improve the play. Ethel is insulted to say the least, and becomes so headstrong that come performance night she chooses to perform her character as originally written, even though that concept no longer fits into the current version of the play. Hilarity ensues and the audience loves it, and even Mabel has to admit it made the play a hit and everyone congratulates Ethel.

Featuring Betty White, Bea Benadaret, Shirley Mitchell, Del Moore, Myra Marsh

Archived