The Gale Storm Show

Neil

Between Gale Storm's 2 series "My Little Margie" and this one "The Gale Storm Show", Gale had a longer run in the half-hour format than Lucy in the 50s. "MLM" debuted as ILL's summer replacement in 1952 and ran until 1955. Gale took a year off and came back with "TGSS" in 1956 which ran until 1960 and went off at almost the exact same time the last original LDCH ran.

Like a lot of Lucy's 50s contemporaries, Gale was not able to extend her popularity into the 60s. There was a pilot here and there, but Gale never did another series. She toured in musicals, among them "The Unsinkable Molly Brown" and yes, "Wildcat".

Had they decided to extend the "Wildcat" run on Broadway past Lucy's departure it would seem Gale would have been a logical choice considering she, too had just ended a long TV run.

Like so many of these 50s series that were cranked out, TGSS was silly and survived on the charm of Gale and Zasu Pitts. It's considered a forerunner to "Love Boat" in many ways. Many of the scripts were written by future Lucy writers Lou Derman and Larry Rhine responsible for these episodes in the 2nd,3rd and 4th seasons of HL: Lucy, the Laundress, Carol Burnett/Secretary Beautiful, Lucy, the American Mother, Part Time Wife, Tony Randall/Mountain Climber, Astronauts, AND two of the WORST: Lucy in the Jungle and Lucy and Ma Parker---which gives you an idea of what TGGS was like.

Gale had a very successful recording career in the 50s with her version of "I Hear Ya Knockin'" her biggest hit.

Sooooo...here are your lyrics for this trip down memory lane:

"LAND HO!

THERE'S A STORM THAT'S A-BREWIN'

AND IT'S OUR HURRICANE GALE.

ALTHOUGH CAPTAIN HUXLEY IS STEWIN',

THE OCEAN QUEEN WILL SET SAIL.

THE BITS ARE 3 STOOGE-Y

WITH CEDRIC AND NUGEY.

ZASU IS NEVER THE PITTS!

GALE KEEPS THE BOAT ROCKIN'

WITH "I HEAR YOU KNOCKIN'"

ONE OF HER POPULAR HITS.

WE ALL CRY "HOZANNAH".

WE LOVE "OH, SUSSANA!".

IT'S "THE GALE STORM SHOW""

And YES, I have too much time on my hands....

Between Gale Storm's 2 series "My Little Margie" and this one "The Gale Storm Show", Gale had a longer run in the half-hour format than Lucy in the 50s. "MLM" debuted as ILL's summer replacement in 1952 and ran until 1955. Gale took a year off and came back with "TGSS" in 1956 which ran until 1960 and went off at almost the exact same time the last original LDCH ran.

Like a lot of Lucy's 50s contemporaries, Gale was not able to extend her popularity into the 60s. There was a pilot here and there, but Gale never did another series. She toured in musicals, among them "The Unsinkable Molly Brown" and yes, "Wildcat".

Had they decided to extend the "Wildcat" run on Broadway past Lucy's departure it would seem Gale would have been a logical choice considering she, too had just ended a long TV run.

Like so many of these 50s series that were cranked out, TGSS was silly and survived on the charm of Gale and Zasu Pitts. It's considered a forerunner to "Love Boat" in many ways. Many of the scripts were written by future Lucy writers Lou Derman and Larry Rhine responsible for these episodes in the 2nd,3rd and 4th seasons of HL: Lucy, the Laundress, Carol Burnett/Secretary Beautiful, Lucy, the American Mother, Part Time Wife, Tony Randall/Mountain Climber, Astronauts, AND two of the WORST: Lucy in the Jungle and Lucy and Ma Parker---which gives you an idea of what TGGS was like.

Gale had a very successful recording career in the 50s with her version of "I Hear Ya Knockin'" her biggest hit.

Sooooo...here are your lyrics for this trip down memory lane:

"LAND HO!

THERE'S A STORM THAT'S A-BREWIN'

AND IT'S OUR HURRICANE GALE.

ALTHOUGH CAPTAIN HUXLEY IS STEWIN',

THE OCEAN QUEEN WILL SET SAIL.

THE BITS ARE 3 STOOGE-Y

WITH CEDRIC AND NUGEY.

ZASU IS NEVER THE PITTS!

GALE KEEPS THE BOAT ROCKIN'

WITH "I HEAR YOU KNOCKIN'"

ONE OF HER POPULAR HITS.

WE ALL CRY "HOZANNAH".

WE LOVE "OH, SUSSANA!".

IT'S "THE GALE STORM SHOW""

And YES, I have too much time on my hands....

OMG this is so funny, as i was just gonna write that, LOL! And i loved the crack about her writers and Ma Barker and the jungle, LOL! :lucythrill: Wasn't the show called Oh Suzanna at one point? My family never missed her shows, she was great.

ALWAYS loved her shows...JK

Archived