The Lucy Show DVDs

Irene Kampen Tripp

Please answer a question for me.. HOW come that HOT Tony Maietta (sp?) hosted the first 3 DVD releases of The Lucy Show and then suddenly for no reason at all was dropped from seasons 3 and 4? Will he be back to host season 6? Just curious...

I was bummed he wasn't around for the last 2 sets either. I guess they ran out of stuff for him to introduce. Ashame he couldn't have done an introduction at least.

Please answer a question for me.. HOW come that HOT Tony Maietta (sp?) hosted the first 3 DVD releases of The Lucy Show and then suddenly for no reason at all was dropped from seasons 3 and 4? Will he be back to host season 6? Just curious...

Actually, Tony WAS available and we all wanted very much for him to continue doing the interviews... But we were not able to coordinate things with appropriate celebrities. We had an interview set up for Tony to interview Doris Singleton for Season 4, but she had to go into the hospital for some hip surgery, and the interview had to be cancelled.

But we all loved working with Tony very much, and hopefully we can work together on a future project...

Actually, Tony WAS available and we all wanted very much for him to continue doing the interviews... But we were not able to coordinate things with appropriate celebrities. We had an interview set up for Tony to interview Doris Singleton for Season 4, but she had to go into the hospital for some hip surgery, and the interview had to be cancelled.

But we all loved working with Tony very much, and hopefully we can work together on a future project...

What a shame - would have been great to see the wonderful Doris one last time :(

Maybe they didn't find anything to talk about. Lol. Or the pay of course. But he sure was attractive! ;)

Well let me say.. celebritiey availability or not.. HE could have hosted the other seasons by himself and NO ONE would have minded AT ALL... so since they are "re-issuing" I Love Lucy they can redo seasons 4, 5 and 6 of The Lucy Show with that spicy tamale Tony.. jus sayin'

Well let me say.. celebritiey availability or not.. HE could have hosted the other seasons by himself and NO ONE would have minded AT ALL... so since they are "re-issuing" I Love Lucy they can redo seasons 4, 5 and 6 of The Lucy Show with that spicy tamale Tony.. jus sayin'

You speak heap big truth smack 'em on coco or not! lucyhaha.JPG

You just ain't whislin dixie there sister! :lucycoy::desijr::desi1::gary: well, two outta three anyway!

You speak heap big truth smack 'em on coco or not! lucyhaha.JPG

The only Lucy Show set I don't have is #5, and I gotta say, I found almost all of the personality profiles to be boring and downright painful to sit through. The first, with Jerry, was just terrible. He seemed very uncomfortable and really didn't have much to say at all. The Luci interview was fine, but the one with Carole Cook was also just awful. But the worst, the absolute worst, was with Barry Livingstone. For one, he appeared in only one Lucy episode, and for another, the interview went on for way too long. Where's Candy and Ralph? Those are the two I want to hear from!

I'm also one of the original viewers. I was 9 years old in October of 1962 and watched The Lucy Show religiously. It really was my favorite program, right up until its end--when I was finishing my freshman year in high school. So, in a sense, I grew up with Lucy Carmichael. I have very vague memories of watching the latter-day I Love Lucys, circa 1957, but the Lucy Show is much, much clearer.

As for Here's Lucy, well, I confess to also watching that for its entire run...but mostly from habit than anything else. Lucy lost a lot of her spontaneous quality, and I really hated her two kids. They talked so LOUD! And I also disliked the constant emphasis on meeting celebrities, many of whom had lost their glow even in 1974. And yes, I, too, watched Life with Lucy. It was a game effort, and I'd love to own all the episodes on DVD--but Lucy was way past her prime and again the loudness came into play. Her family there was also bland, colorless, and the children obnoxious. Lucy should've guested on The Golden Girls. Frankly, I'm surprised they never made her an offer!

Rod

As for Here's Lucy, well, I confess to also watching that for its entire run...but mostly from habit than anything else. Lucy lost a lot of her spontaneous quality, and I really hated her two kids. They talked so LOUD! And I also disliked the constant emphasis on meeting celebrities, many of whom had lost their glow even in 1974. And yes, I, too, watched Life with Lucy. It was a game effort, and I'd love to own all the episodes on DVD--but Lucy was way past her prime and again the loudness came into play. Her family there was also bland, colorless, and the children obnoxious. Lucy should've guested on The Golden Girls. Frankly, I'm surprised they never made her an offer!

Rod

They did, she was supposed to play Rose's blind sister but nothing ever came of it and Polly Holiday (The sassy waitress on Alice) ended up doing the part i think. Stop holding back on your opinions, you might wake up the crowd here, LOL! And yes, welcome to the Lounge. :lucythrill:

The only Lucy Show set I don't have is #5, and I gotta say, I found almost all of the personality profiles to be boring and downright painful to sit through. The first, with Jerry, was just terrible. He seemed very uncomfortable and really didn't have much to say at all. The Luci interview was fine, but the one with Carole Cook was also just awful. But the worst, the absolute worst, was with Barry Livingstone. For one, he appeared in only one Lucy episode, and for another, the interview went on for way too long. Where's Candy and Ralph? Those are the two I want to hear from!

I'm also one of the original viewers. I was 9 years old in October of 1962 and watched The Lucy Show religiously. It really was my favorite program, right up until its end--when I was finishing my freshman year in high school. So, in a sense, I grew up with Lucy Carmichael. I have very vague memories of watching the latter-day I Love Lucys, circa 1957, but the Lucy Show is much, much clearer.

Rod

I was TWELVE when the show premiered and it was my favorite also, ILL was still playing in reruns but this show was on in Prime Time and i worshipped it, i watched the Canadian version a few days before the American one aired and then even sampled it in French as it played here that way. Lucy was so much more sophisticated and REAL on this show and of course at this time you could see her on so many other shows guesting, specials, game and talk shows, she was all over the place. This was my favorite period of her life as she was The Queen of the Medium of Television. Yes, the kids yelled their lines which took away the reality of it all, Candy has said that in The Lucy Book. As for her kids, the reviews were brutal at first but they did get much better later on and on other shows. Of course they should not be blamed as the material they were given was terrible, what can you do with "HI MOM" anyway?

What an awesome first post yendor1152! I agree about it being annoying not having Ralph or Candy - especially Ralph, I always had a soft spot for him! He was such a cutie and a great actor. I even created the "Ralph Hart Appreciation Thread" over a year ago which didn't take off :lucydisgust::lucythrill: LOL!

What an awesome first post yendor1152! I agree about it being annoying not having Ralph or Candy - especially Ralph, I always had a soft spot for him! He was such a cutie and a great actor. I even created the "Ralph Hart Appreciation Thread" over a year ago which didn't take off :lucydisgust::lucythrill: LOL!

But Ralph sure TOOK OFF, we haven't seen him since, LOL! :lucythrill:

But Ralph sure TOOK OFF, we haven't seen him since, LOL! :lucythrill:

Thanks for the welcome, guys! Great to be here.

As for Ralph's absence, didn't he provide a script for one of the supplements showing his math homework? So, he's around. He has a memorable bit part in "What Ever Happened to Baby Jane," presenting the annoying little Jane with a Jane doll.

Don't get me wrong, it's not that I didn't love Lucy's shows--I thought they were all great. But my absolute favorites have to be the first three seasons of "The Lucy Show." Those are the ones I remember most vividly. In fact, I bought the first season on DVD for one episode alone: Lucy and Viv put up a TV Antenna. Not only did an image from that episode appear on the first issue of Gold Key's "The Lucy Show" comic (in color, yet), it is still today one of the most hilarious episodes in any Lucy show, old or relatively new. I also had the distinct impression that Lucy, especially in the first season, ad-libbed a lot of her stuff. Watch the stilts-walking sequence, when she's talking to Viv. She says, "Viv, I'm tired," and I don't think that was in the script. Later, she became louder, more prone to glancing off-screen for the cue cards, and we no longer saw any close-ups. Once she lost her distinctive voice, that could do so much, a lot of what made Lucy great went, too. But she never lost her verve and energy. Just watch the few episodes of Life with Lucy there were. When she's in that bucking bronco of an easy chair, it's just an amazing feat. Hard to believe she passed away only three years later.

Rod

As for Ralph's absence, didn't he provide a script for one of the supplements showing his math homework? So, he's around. He has a memorable bit part in "What Ever Happened to Baby Jane," presenting the annoying little Jane with a Jane doll.

Don't get me wrong, it's not that I didn't love Lucy's shows--I thought they were all great. But my absolute favorites have to be the first three seasons of "The Lucy Show." Those are the ones I remember most vividly. In fact, I bought the first season on DVD for one episode alone: Lucy and Viv put up a TV Antenna. Not only did an image from that episode appear on the first issue of Gold Key's "The Lucy Show" comic (in color, yet), it is still today one of the most hilarious episodes in any Lucy show, old or relatively new. I also had the distinct impression that Lucy, especially in the first season, ad-libbed a lot of her stuff. Watch the stilts-walking sequence, when she's talking to Viv. She says, "Viv, I'm tired," and I don't think that was in the script. Later, she became louder, more prone to glancing off-screen for the cue cards, and we no longer saw any close-ups. Once she lost her distinctive voice, that could do so much, a lot of what made Lucy great went, too. But she never lost her verve and energy. Just watch the few episodes of Life with Lucy there were. When she's in that bucking bronco of an easy chair, it's just an amazing feat. Hard to believe she passed away only three years later.

Rod

You've lost me sorry - what do you mean "provide a script for one of the supplements showing his math homework?" Also, can you locate a YouTube clip of that scene from WHTBJ? I couldn't find it. Cheers, Miki

You've lost me sorry - what do you mean "provide a script for one of the supplements showing his math homework?" Also, can you locate a YouTube clip of that scene from WHTBJ? I couldn't find it. Cheers, Miki

I believe it was in the Production Notes of one of the seasons--probably Season One, since I was just watching it last week. There's a Ralph Hart script with his math homework written on the front, and it says the script was provided by Ralph.

Here's the YouTube link. The clips lasts 4 minutes. Ralph comes in at 3.25 carrying a Baby Jane doll toward the middle, after Jane sings, "I've Written a Letter to Daddy." What ever Happened to Baby Jane was released in October of 1962, so it coincides with Ralph's Lucy Show premiere!

Rod

Rod

I agree about that Lay Z Boy recliner BIT on LWL, she was incredible to do that physical SHTICK at 75. But Lucy herself always said she seldom or almost never ad libbed. Dunking her lighted nose in that cup of coffee was during rehearsal and then the writers wrote it in the script. I think the compliment to her is that she said some lines so naturally that she made them seem ad libbed. My favorite line in the antenna show is actually Viv's, when on the roof, looking through the hole she just made says, OH I SHOULDA MADE MY BED THIS MORNING. Of course it made no sense as she's looking through the attic, not her bedroom, unless she made the hole with a stilt.

I believe it was in the Production Notes of one of the seasons--probably Season One, since I was just watching it last week. There's a Ralph Hart script with his math homework written on the front, and it says the script was provided by Ralph.

Here's the YouTube link. The clips lasts 4 minutes. Ralph comes in at 3.25 carrying a Baby Jane doll toward the middle, after Jane sings, "I've Written a Letter to Daddy." What ever Happened to Baby Jane was released in October of 1962, so it coincides with Ralph's Lucy Show premiere!

Rod

Geez, i have that movie on DVD and did not remember that particular scene or recognize Ralphie. Maybe because he's shown from profile?

• 4 weeks later...

Archived