Lucille Ball and Kate Smith on Dean Martin Variety Show

Annaleigh

[quote name=DroopyDrawers :D' timestamp='1285515938' post='1531]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0eI7I7b1qg

Thanks so much for putting this up, i noticed it in one of the panels at the bottom of the other clip and i watch it often, her Dean Martin appearance hopefully could be on the Lucy show dvd that shows his appearance on her show.

Lucy always enjoyed DOING musical numbers and this one's a PIP, one of the best she ever did as far as medleys go, and she loved Kate Smith, Kate was her favorite type of performer, a woman who went all out, and was a terrific BELTER whose career had endured through the decades and this patriotic ending was the type that Lucy loved best. I could watch that clip forever.

One of Lucy's all-time best variety show appearances*. This medley follows two blockbuster solos by the great Kate. It was the first time I witnessed Kate in her prime and I became a fan. But Lucy! She's in absolutely top form, looking great, showing off her still-gorgeous legs. With Lucy, it's the sum of a lot of different little things that makes her great. There's one moment in this that stood out. After she finished singing "I Don't Care" and the music segues into "Yankee Doodle Dandy", she is joined by Dean and Kate and they walk forward. It's very quick because the camera cuts to a wide shot, but watch for the look she gives Dean. Followed by that show-girl posture graceful walk. Who else could pull off that low-comedy to high-class switch within just seconds?

*the other, also from this season, "The Steve Lawrence Show"

One of Lucy's all-time best variety show appearances*. This medley follows two blockbuster solos by the great Kate. It was the first time I witnessed Kate in her prime and I became a fan. But Lucy! She's in absolutely top form, looking great, showing off her still-gorgeous legs. With Lucy, it's the sum of a lot of different little things that makes her great. There's one moment in this that stood out. After she finished singing "I Don't Care" and the music segues into "Yankee Doodle Dandy", she is joined by Dean and Kate and they walk forward. It's very quick because the camera cuts to a wide shot, but watch for the look she gives Dean. Followed by that show-girl posture graceful walk. Who else could pull off that low-comedy to high-class switch within just seconds?

*the other, also from this season, "The Steve Lawrence Show"

Oh you are so RIGHT, and now somebody should put up the great Steve Lawrence show clips too, she was even better on that. But in black and white though. Wasn't that the very first time we see Lucy looking at her own work when she is commenting on doing the Marineland episode?

Archived