MGM's 50th Anniversary

Will

I hope I got this link right. What a great array of stars. Looks how elegant they are dressed and how some of them are enjoying seeing familiar stars from MGM's golden era. I have a question though.

At 1:12 is that Lucy in the background and again at the bottom left at about 9:13? Why wasn't she up there on stage since she was at MGM for 3 years and some of her movies were hits?

I hope I got this link right. What a great array of stars. Looks how elegant they are dressed and how some of them are enjoying seeing familiar stars from MGM's golden era. I have a question though.

At 1:12 is that Lucy in the background and again at the bottom left at about 9:13? Why wasn't she up there on stage since she was at MGM for 3 years and some of her movies were hits?

No, she looks like later Lucy but Lucy would have been with gary and even though she might have been with Liza and Sammy who were both great friends, i dun't thin it's her. I couldn't find her at all at 9:13. I too, when first watching this years ago, wondered why Lucy was not there, but maybe it was her short tenure at that studio or her having a conflicting commitment or her not even being included in the final film of That's Entertainment, who knows?

No, she looks like later Lucy but Lucy would have been with gary and even though she might have been with Liza and Sammy who were both great friends, i dun't thin it's her. I couldn't find her at all at 9:13. I too, when first watching this years ago, wondered why Lucy was not there, but maybe it was her short tenure at that studio or her having a conflicting commitment or her not even being included in the final film of That's Entertainment, who knows?

Lucy wasn't there, don't know why, probably working. Definitely wasn't her "short tenure" at MGM that blocked her - Nanette Fabray was there and she was in all of one MGM movie, Gloria Swanson was there and she wasn't in any! (Fred Astaire's sister Adele was there too and she never made a movie!)

Don't know who Will thinks is Lucy perhaps Nanette or Myrna Loy (both redheads, both in green). The full group are pictured standing on stage in the book THE MGM STORY (page 384 in my edition).

See, now you've started my day off weeping....when I was a youngster, I had books and books of cut-outs; paste-ons from all the Star Magazines of the times; most of these folks were my favorites; all gone now, by way of the incinerator... memories, memories; THANKS SO MUCH FOR SHARING THIS WONDERFUL STAGEFUL!!!! JK

See, now you've started my day off weeping....when I was a youngster, I had books and books of cut-outs; paste-ons from all the Star Magazines of the times; most of these folks were my favorites; all gone now, by way of the incinerator... memories, memories; THANKS SO MUCH FOR SHARING THIS WONDERFUL STAGEFUL!!!! JK

I know what you mean, i threw out all MY stuff too, just couldn't move those apartment to apartment when i was younger and who would have known there'd be a market for this stuff decades later.

Archived