Lucy's Movie Clothes

Luvsbway

You are SOOO Right!! I think TLS was a very unique period for her image on TV.  By 1960 The Lucy Ricardo character was a "wear a skirt when going out"

put on pants in the house kind of girl-and I think that had a lot to do with the format change. She was riding horses, fighting bulls and riding the slopes lol

Its pretty hard to climb a crane in a dress lol -so I think she did wear a dress when going out, and then pants at home.

By the time 62 came around- they  approached Lucy Carmichael they way they would Ricardo. Normal make up, teased hair- lounged paints and a cute top. 

But the fashion trend was changing, poofy lounge dresses  and pants were being traded for skirts, or full skirts with basic cuts- and,the hem line came up lol

What use to go to Lucy Ricardo's ankle, now went to the back of Mrs Carmichael's knee! lol  

I think they took the Carmichael character and glamorized her around seasons 2,3,4- wardrobe was taking her out of the pants for the majority of the time putting her in a nice skirt and top.

If they did put her in pants, they were usually the svelte streched kind that showed some shape to her legs- not to mention the heavy make up. 

But you are so right- the pants were a norm. What about Heres Lucy? I dont remember her wearing those "working" plain black tight like pants. 

It may sound seriously strange, but the count of Lucille Ball wearing pants (not a part of pajamas or costume suits and the like) as a regular household or out of the household outfit (during the entire run of I Love Lucy and The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour) is a staggering154! This also means several pair during an episode and of course the same pants in future episodes. Now don't ask me how I know, but it took just 10 minutes to find this out. :)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

154 times, that’s impressive. I think that is why I tend to think of Lucy cleaning the house in pants and not the stereotypical dress and pearls that is so commonly associated with the 50s housewife. Ethel wore pants too but it was much less common to see.

When it comes to HL and pants you do see them but I don’t remember those stretch/stir-up pants at all which was good because those were awful. I’m pretty sure Lucy Carter never wore pants to work and maybe that is why we remember the skirts as this series she worked fulltime season 1-6. So she was at work, going to or coming from work often. The dresses were more the caftan variety and those got worn at home and everywhere but work. I do like that they did less suit type attire for her. We got more work wear of pencil skirt, top, belt. I think she looked pretty hip in some of those things. There is one outfit that I love. Lucy often wore this black pencil skirt with a slit in the front and back. Often it’s paired with a tight top and belt. One episode she comes in with a black leather coat. Super hip.

Now I’m not even going to start on Kim’s wardrobe as she had some crazy pants.

It may sound seriously strange, but the count of Lucille Ball wearing pants (not a part of pajamas or costume suits and the like) as a regular household or out of the household outfit (during the entire run of I Love Lucy and The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour) is a staggering154! This also means several pair during an episode and of course the same pants in future episodes. Now don't ask me how I know, but it took just 10 minutes to find this out. :)

Not strange at all- totally a fun fact to know!..whats puzzling me is how you found out in 10 minutes! lol Great sleuthing none the less. 

BTW I can't rest now thinking of how you found out in only ten minutes lol   This could get its own Thread:

pants.png

LMBO LOLOLOL 

I remember a few caftans towards the later shows, but they were so exuberant, that they make a lasting impression lol When I think of her HL wardrobe- I think of

Gogo boots- a lot of suits- where the jackets matched the skirt

I really like the ones she's wearing in the Lucy shows in public domain, those that have the lining that match her dress, very elegant.  The Berle ep with the tossed salad and the one flying to London among others.  Loved the shots you put up from Next time I marry and the Annabel movies.  Made me notice the clothes more when viewing them this morning. 

• 1 year later...

Lucy got a lot of mileage out of her Lucy In London wardrobe, re-purposing some of it into her Mad Mad Margo getup, loaning the blue and green triple-square earrings to one of the hippies in Lucy Gets Involved, and I just noticed this bit of recycling the other night:

LUCY IN LONDON:

r2papf.jpg

YOURS, MINE AND OURS:

2h6fqye.jpg

Archived